Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Arcane Brotherhood 5e and Contradictions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mankyle Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 08:06:32
Hi there

I have been unifying information in one document (in spanish) for an spanish community and I have a couple of doubts regarding the Arcane brotherhood

In the last Drizzt novels Catti Brie, Gromph and a couple more wizards rebuild the Host Tower of the Arcane in Luskan. That happens in 1487 DR, Year of the Rune Lord Triumphant.

But.... Legacy of the Crystal Shard and after that the SCAG says that the Arcane Brotherhood has taken over the Host Tower of the Arcane again, and are reverting to their old ways of wanting to conquer the North.

Any information source regarding this new "Arcane brotherhood" and how they take over the Host Tower???

I have checked everything but no luck. Is this a case of contradiction between RAS novels and the Game material???
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 15:42:28
Explanation:

Shar split the timeline when she diverged it down the path of the Black Chronology. RAS is still writing books in the original timeline... which has little to do with the official, canon (game) Realms. His stuff takes place on Toril-615.

It wouldn't be the first time that's happened to him... Chewbacca's alive and well in SW.
Irennan Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 11:34:39
quote:
Originally posted by Mankyle

Hi there

I have been unifying information in one document (in spanish) for an spanish community and I have a couple of doubts regarding the Arcane brotherhood

In the last Drizzt novels Catti Brie, Gromph and a couple more wizards rebuild the Host Tower of the Arcane in Luskan. That happens in 1487 DR, Year of the Rune Lord Triumphant.

But.... Legacy of the Crystal Shard and after that the SCAG says that the Arcane Brotherhood has taken over the Host Tower of the Arcane again, and are reverting to their old ways of wanting to conquer the North.

Any information source regarding this new "Arcane brotherhood" and how they take over the Host Tower???

I have checked everything but no luck. Is this a case of contradiction between RAS novels and the Game material???

The only possible way to reconcile the two, is that the Arcane Brotherhood has managed to take the rebuilt Host Tower again, or that the new Arcane Brotherhood is a puppet organizations for Gromph and/or other drow in Menzo, or that a mutually beneficial deal of sorts has been struck between Gromph and the Arcane Brotherhood. I don't think Cattie and Drizzt will set in Luskan anyway, so they'll likely have no say in this matter.

In any case, this isn't the first time RAS' stuff (or novels stuff) contradict lore. Although RAS tends to be quite careless with it (for example, he claims that Shade fell on the Anauroch, when that contradicts a huge recent event that happens during the Sundering. The whole premise of why the demons of the Abyss can't go on the surface and its relation to Faerzress also makes no sense within the context of previous lore regarding it. Then again, Smedman totally pulled other BS lore about the Faerzress out of thin air, so w/e).
Aseir the Stern Posted - 12 Jul 2017 : 10:21:31
Salvatore's latest books, I've noticed seem to have different dates than other sources. Other than the example you stated, Archmage says by 1486, Taimat failed her escape. But both of Ed's latest books (Spellstorm and Death Masks) imply it to be 1489; as well as an official comment in the Adventurer's League. This has me believe they might have been a mix up in communication. That being said, I can't find mention of the Hosttower in Legacy of the Crystal Shard, so their may be a work around.

1485: Arcane Brotherhood reemerge in Icewind Dale
1486: Hosttower of the Arcane is rebuilt.
1486-7: Arcane Brotherhood resume their place in the tower.
1486: Maccath the Crimson travels to Oyaviggaton
1489: Tyranny of Dragons.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000