Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Tomb of Annihilation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
farinal Posted - 03 Jun 2017 : 14:21:35
Tomb of Annihilation takes place in the Forgotten Realms in the lost Land of Chult. There players will trudge through dense jungle and encounter dinosaurs, undead, and the snake-like Yuan-Ti. Acererak, the demi-lich from Tomb of Horrors, will make a comeback and appear stronger than ever.

http://geekandsundry.com/wizards-of-the-coast-announce-new-storyline-tomb-of-annihilation/

What do you guys think?
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TomCosta Posted - 15 Sep 2017 : 03:50:19
So I'm pretty excited about Tomb of Annihilation. High production value, good story, great vibe, interesting encounters, etc. And I don't feel they did much that isn't in line with existing lore, at least given the passage of time.

My beef, as with many things are some of the small things. Not addressing that the biggest tribe of Chultans are the Tabaxi (doh, the same name as the cat people which is fine, but should have gotten a throw away sentence explaining it). Or the forgetting of wild dwarves and Thard Harr; they don't have to play a role in the story--I know a lot of folks hate them--but in some ways I almost feel that they made the albino shield dwarves a bit more "wild." Again a place where a bit of acknowledgment would go a long way. Not explaining (at least that I've read yet) how Volo is still alive, and so on. Ah, well, I guess you can't have it all.

All that said, though, I think it's my favorite 5E adventure after Out of the Abyss and can't wait to play it.
Delwa Posted - 11 Sep 2017 : 13:17:46
I'm really enjoying that as well.

Zorbo make for a great way to teach a group humility. Throw those in with a few rust monsters, and I can see any group happily prefer fighting a tarrasque instead.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Sep 2017 : 13:11:03
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Apologies. Maybe this will be better?
The art doesn't show him with his odd sword. I wonder if that's on purpose or an oversight.

Ah, thank you. Ok, I'll say it again, its weird how people are introducing monsters that I would have never thought others would be interested in but that I was using. I speak specifically of the almiraj, but also the kamadan.... and flying monkeys.

Update monsters: Almiraj (unicorn bunny), Kamadan, Mantrap, Tri-flower frond, Jacuuli, Zorbo (evil koala that destroys magic items).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Sep 2017 : 17:19:22
Mike Schley has gone back and added to the pdf file map download -- now there are hexless versions!
Delwa Posted - 10 Sep 2017 : 15:42:50
Apologies. Maybe this will be better?
The art doesn't show him with his odd sword. I wonder if that's on purpose or an oversight.
sleyvas Posted - 10 Sep 2017 : 15:25:50
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So, anyone want a free Mike Schley map of Chult, very large and made for this adventure?

Got it! Now I'm just waiting for the book to get here.
I looked at D&D Beyond's digital offering for the adventure and I'm stoked.
On Beyond, you don't have to buy the whole tome, they've broken it down to where you can just purchase an individual monster or NPC stat block, or magic item. While it doesn't let you preview those individual stats, it gives a nice idea of what exactly is going to be in the crunchy bits.
Can't wait to see how they stat Artus Cimber and Dragonbait.

Dragonbait will be in Chult? I mean, I can see the saurials there, just hadn't noted anything about it.

Yep! Scroll down to the Monster Section. He's there.

<rant on>
why the hell does every GD site require you to create a new ID. I was interested for a minute.... why can't they just let you look at things as a guest... I swear things are getting too stupid. Just not going to do it. Guess I'll wait for the arrival of the book.

<rant off>

sorry, just had to say it.
Delwa Posted - 10 Sep 2017 : 14:48:25
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

So, anyone want a free Mike Schley map of Chult, very large and made for this adventure?

On Beyond, you don't have to buy the whole tome, they've broken it down to where you can just purchase an individual monster or NPC stat block, or magic item. While it doesn't let you preview those individual stats, it gives a nice idea of what exactly is going to be in the crunchy bits.

Dragonbait will be in Chult? I mean, I can see the saurials there, just hadn't noted anything about it.

Yep! Scroll down to the Monster Section. He's there.
sleyvas Posted - 10 Sep 2017 : 14:43:30
quote:

quote:

Delwa Posted - 10 Sep 2017 : 13:36:34
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Sep 2017 : 20:57:03
Delwa Posted - 01 Jul 2017 : 22:43:23
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

People might be interested in the prelude story in the latest issue of Dragon Magazine.

I really, really enjoyed that short story. I kinda wish there were a follow up novel....
sleyvas Posted - 01 Jul 2017 : 11:29:02
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

People might be interested in the prelude story in the latest issue of Dragon Magazine.

NOW THAT WAS GREAT. I honestly loved that read. I only wish they'd made Alfin Biscop a follower of the Red Knight instead of Torm with his love of the lanceboard.

So, something's happened that has diverted the "funnel" of energy from the positive material plane to the rest of Toril. Damn, but its odd when two things I'm talking about seem to synch up.... but I'll be damned if Entropy isn't an extension of the exact opposite of the positive material plane.

Hmmm, wonder if the sphere of annihilation that's part of the Tomb of Horrors is somehow an extension of Entropy? I wonder if the Sundering reseparating Pandorym didn't somehow or other draw Acererak's tomb here? For that matter, how did Acererak become a vestige, and did IT have something to do with that sphere of annihilation .... and somehow Entropy.
KanzenAU Posted - 01 Jul 2017 : 02:44:24
moonbeast Posted - 28 Jun 2017 : 06:39:05
Thanks for that link to the Polygon review, farinal.

It seems that that "Chultans" are not exactly portrayed (stereotyped) as jungle-dwelling sub-Saharan Africans. They seem to be dressed more like Middle Eastern Arabs, possibly as North African Arabs.

Here is the pic in question:
[image]https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/20/15834134/dungeons-and-dragons-new-module-tomb-of-annihilation-tomb-of-horrors-origins[/image]

Just as well. I did not like the idea of Chult being troped as The Forgotten Realms' analogy of tropical Africa. We need to get away from those real Earth stereotypes.
farinal Posted - 20 Jun 2017 : 23:04:34
https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/20/15834134/dungeons-and-dragons-new-module-tomb-of-annihilation-tomb-of-horrors-origins
Diffan Posted - 08 Jun 2017 : 15:03:52
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Looks like fun honestly. I never had a campaign in Chult and one that goes from 1-11 levels sounds awesome

I can't imagine Level 2 characters knowing what to do if a T-Rex ever wanted to use them as a chew toy.

Probably roll up new Level 1 Characters and meta-game to not go into that particular area for a while . But if I were playing there and was a lowly level 2, I'm making a run for it and hoping any sort of spell or magical item or even a good Stealth check gets me to see another day.
sleyvas Posted - 08 Jun 2017 : 07:01:44
If they eat someone using an outhouse, do they taste better or worse (you know, having been recently purged). Just wondering because you know, will dinosaurs begin to equate outhouses to better tasting meals....
see Posted - 08 Jun 2017 : 05:43:32
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

Looks like fun honestly. I never had a campaign in Chult and one that goes from 1-11 levels sounds awesome

I can't imagine Level 2 characters knowing what to do if a T-Rex ever wanted to use them as a chew toy.

Easy. Hold completely still so he can't see you, and wait for him to eat someone using an outhouse.
moonbeast Posted - 08 Jun 2017 : 03:01:42
quote:

Diffan Posted - 06 Jun 2017 : 21:13:32
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Wouldn't be that difficult to plop down in a 1356/57 5E FR Game...

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Hell I'm a pretty strong believer that you can play in whatever era or timeline using whatever Rules you want. There's not need to keep it the same.
Brimstone Posted - 06 Jun 2017 : 21:02:37
Wouldn't be that difficult to plop down in a 1356/57 5E FR Game...
xaeyruudh Posted - 06 Jun 2017 : 19:24:20
quote:

why not change the name in your game? Seems overly easy thing to do.

Sure, it's easy to make a new NPC or substitute a FR lich in place of Acererak.

quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Going by the 5e Tomb of Horrors adventure in Dungeon magazine #213 (Tales Yawning Portal might have changed him) he was a level 14 encounter. Something a group of 4 11th level PCs could handle with some difficulty.

Odd. The demilich is CR 18 in the MM. The lich is CR 21.
Dewaint Posted - 06 Jun 2017 : 16:09:19
I don't like Acerak being imported either.

I like the idea of a Sarrukh Lich or something similar. Pretty sure to adopt it as soon I get this adventure on my desk :)

I lost the momentum in thinking 5e is a new 2e era of FR Lore, or that WotC is trying to care and develop the realms as in such old times. At least there is new material made public, even if WotC is messing up the settings there are some decent pieces of FR lore that can be extracted.
So make the best of it!
As with "Out of The Abyss" there is much room to customize the Adventure to fit your own version of the Realms.
Diffan Posted - 06 Jun 2017 : 08:17:04
quote:

I think Kelemvor and his priests would be fine with it. Other than the Chult link, I might even think Kelemvor might be behind it all. But it also doesn't sound like it affects undead.

yikes, that'd be an interesting situation. Helping those dying....again...to their rightful place in the afterlife is going to ruffle some feathers. I like it.

quote:

Interesting plotline, but I still don't like the use of Greyhawk material in place of Realmslore.

why not change the name in your game? Seems overly easy thing to do.

quote:

I also wonder why there's a demilich if the PCs are only getting up to level 11.

Going by the 5e Tomb of Horrors adventure in Dungeon magazine #213 (Tales Yawning Portal might have changed him) he was a level 14 encounter. Something a group of 4 11th level PCs could handle with some difficulty.
xaeyruudh Posted - 06 Jun 2017 : 00:11:10
I think Kelemvor and his priests would be fine with it. Other than the Chult link, I might even think Kelemvor might be behind it all. But it also doesn't sound like it affects undead.

Interesting plotline, but I still don't like the use of Greyhawk material in place of Realmslore.

I also wonder why there's a demilich if the PCs are only getting up to level 11.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000