Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Wild Magic Areas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 07 Apr 2017 : 04:01:51
So, I'm wondering if there is anymore wild magic areas left in Faerun? and if so where!!????

I'm still implicating the Dead Magic Zones and the plague lands. I just need a general area where it is.

thanks
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PattPlays Posted - 12 Apr 2020 : 05:59:11
https://imgur.com/knG9D6d
This is from Out Of The Abyss, it's Faerzress!

Faerzress is -all over- the upper northdark nowadays. And the entire continent-sized territory of Auromycos is full of the stuff. If you can get a copy of the 3rd edition Underdark it can tell you all about the history of more traditional wild magics in the underdark.
I also like to think that Faerzress can rise through gaps in the rock above where it coalesces. Maybe it could breach up to the surface into a grove somewhere, possibly around geothermal activity? Also, portals set up inside areas suffused with this wild magic ambience should definitely exude the energy. Although with the relationship it has with teleportation magic would likely make traversing such a portal.. a really bad idea!

You know what I found in there that was missing in the 5e module, though? NODES! Node magic looked so interesting! In OOTA, I found -one- Obelisk that, in my headcanon, is the last of the lost art of nodic magic in the upper northdark.

Thanks for reading! There's always more ways to come up with wild magic in your games. Try coming up with a wild-magic poison, that you can put into someone's system to have them suffer the effects of 1d20 wild magic effects with seemingly no cause!

(PS: Wild Magic from Faerzress led to one of the greatest moments I've had in the underdark! A paladin tiefling triggered a 100 wild magic surge, and exploded from duplicate fireballs, only to be reincarnated immediately via a previous table roll. They came back as an Aasimar and it all worked out as a beautiful sign of redemption. Oath of ancients, for reference.)
@Patt
cpthero2 Posted - 23 Mar 2020 : 04:22:13
Master Rupert,

That is awesome. I just looked up the spell in The Seven Sister and while cool, not particularly related from what I can tell.

That is really awesome about the Spellstorm/Spellplague deal. I'm glad to hear that he never intended it, but if he had done it, I am certain it would have been done in awesome epic Ed fashion.

Best regards,

sleyvas Posted - 22 Mar 2020 : 22:50:49
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Nothing says I'm here like a Cleric of Erevan Ilesere in a Wild Magic Zone. lol. I love the idea of a Rod of Wonder in a Wild Magic zone. lol.

Fireballs turn to chickens, Lightning bolts turn to Fireflies. Acid bolts turn to mud, Cones of Cold turn to talcum powder. A Blade Barrier turns into a swirling cloud of autumn leaves. Your arrows turn into snakes, your swords turn into sticks and all your tricks and pranks and chaos run amok.

Its all fun and games until weewees turn into hoohoos… we can all remember when Guldarg the Indomitable got changed, and someone made a flippant joke …. and then bam....
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Mar 2020 : 21:58:24
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

Thank you! I honestly had no idea. haha

Do you have any sources I could look into? I haven't been able to dig any up.

Thank you much.

Best regards,

Just passing references, here and there; basically, a storm of magic.

There was also a 9th level spell by that name in Seven Sisters, and The Spellstorm was one of Ed's names for a theoretical Spellplague (he'd thought up the idea of a big magical catastrophe, but it was not something he detailed or intended to pull off -- it was a 'bad thing that may or may not happen at some point in the future' type of thing).
cpthero2 Posted - 22 Mar 2020 : 21:25:32
Master Rupert,

Thank you! I honestly had no idea. haha

Do you have any sources I could look into? I haven't been able to dig any up.

Thank you much.

Best regards,

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 22 Mar 2020 : 21:11:32
Nothing says I'm here like a Cleric of Erevan Ilesere in a Wild Magic Zone. lol. I love the idea of a Rod of Wonder in a Wild Magic zone. lol.

Fireballs turn to chickens, Lightning bolts turn to Fireflies. Acid bolts turn to mud, Cones of Cold turn to talcum powder. A Blade Barrier turns into a swirling cloud of autumn leaves. Your arrows turn into snakes, your swords turn into sticks and all your tricks and pranks and chaos run amok.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 19:51:21
quote:

Master TBeholder,

I was referring to the reply you had on 07 Apr 17 at 08:05:50. I just am not familiar with spellstorms, if those were only a 4e invention post-Spellplague?

Best regards,

References to them go back to at least 2E.
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Mar 2020 : 19:00:40
Master TBeholder,

I was referring to the reply you had on 07 Apr 17 at 08:05:50. I just am not familiar with spellstorms, if those were only a 4e invention post-Spellplague?

Best regards,

TBeholder Posted - 17 Mar 2020 : 11:37:14
Huh, necro'd the thread. Was i searching anything? Anyway...

quote:

So, this is just a 4e and beyond thing, is that correct, regarding spellstorms?

Er, why? Quotes above are all from AD&D2 materials.
Oh, here's another one:
quote:
from Volo's Guide to Cormyr (Mouth o' Gargoyles):
  The battle also left a more lasting legacy: a wild magic curse that makes the whole village an unreliable locale for spellcasting. Spells almost always go awry
here, and magical item effects go wild most times they are invoked.
[...]
The mere presence of magical items doesn't awaken the curse, but any visitor who tries to activate even the most minor magic creates an immediate spellstorm of
wild magic effects that spirals off in all directions. For example, trees turn blue, shrubs begin to levitate and drift about, leaves turn to glass and metal shards and
fly about in all directions, stone turns to water, earth is hurled up into wavelike immobile shapes, and birds explode into fireballs here and there.

So it's a wild magic zone, but also inclined to wide-area surges, rather than mostly "Caster smells like a skunk for spell duration" sort.
Maybe related to those special areas in the Weave?

As to the term -
quote:
from Elminster in Myth Drannor:
And so it was that a spellstorm was unleashed in the Court of Cormanthor that day. A true spellstorm is a fearful thing, one of the most terrible dooms one can behold, even if one lives to remember it.

cpthero2 Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 21:29:08
Learned Scribe Storyteller Hero,

What do you mean by a fey "faction"? Just a small grouping with a particular political motive, or something else?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

quote:

Is that 4e/5e? I just don't recall that being a 3.5 or prior thing that existed.

Best regards,

quote:

The Moonshae Isles may have some wild magic areas near or at where the veil between the Material and the realm of Fey is thin.

I remember mentions in 4e of a fey faction acquiring a foothold in the isles when the Spellplague weakened planar barriers.

Storyteller Hero Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 13:07:53
quote:

Is that 4e/5e? I just don't recall that being a 3.5 or prior thing that existed.

Best regards,

quote:

The Moonshae Isles may have some wild magic areas near or at where the veil between the Material and the realm of Fey is thin.

I remember mentions in 4e of a fey faction acquiring a foothold in the isles when the Spellplague weakened planar barriers.

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 07:21:57
Wild magic is aloof and flighty in nature. Some permanent places in Faerun that have wild zones are The High Forest, Tantras, Baldur's Gate, Raven's Bluff.

In homebrew you could have it in The Misty Forest, The Laughing Hollow, The Chondath, Zazzespur, etc...

cpthero2 Posted - 08 Mar 2020 : 02:59:24

Best regards,

quote:

Storyteller Hero Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 21:24:00

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 16:06:52
Master Zeromaru X,

Are descriptions of Spellstorms only in novels? I did some searching and it seems like they are only in novels, unless I am overlooking something here.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Anything he has mentioned works in a pre-Spellplague campaign.

Zeromaru X Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 13:55:51
Anything he has mentioned works in a pre-Spellplague campaign.
cpthero2 Posted - 07 Mar 2020 : 01:44:15
Master TBeholder,

So, this is just a 4e and beyond thing, is that correct, regarding spellstorms? I play pre-Spellplague, so I wanted to make sure I am on the right track here.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Everywhere. Assuming frequency of major spellstorm incidents is roughly constant, the new affected areas appear as much as they vanish. There were decaying mythals (and no doubt other great spell-fields) and motile "bubbles" under Ravens Bluff. Time of Troubles added the Helmlands and "bubbles" from the Guardian's Tear.

TBeholder Posted - 06 Mar 2020 : 22:05:58
quote:
from The North (Dire Woods):
Weather here bears no resemblance to the outer world and is highly magical (see Deeper Secrets below for wizard
weather). Creatures long extinct elsewhere are found here in abundance, though they die if forced out beyond the Dire
Woods' boundaries. Wild magic sites are almost commonplace herein, appearing at random then disappearing without a trace.

Too close to the ruins of Karse. No surprise it's all weird.
quote:
from The North (Fang Island):
Fang Island is the site of a wild magic area
created in a failed attempt to formulate an extremely powerful ward. From time to time, random harmful
spells discharge there by themselves. Their bursts and radiance often rend the night. This wild magic area is self-generating
and has so far defied attempts by even the mightiest mages of the Arcane Brotherhood to destroy it.

An overpowered ward gone bad (or an attempt to cut corners on a wizardry mythal?)

quote:
from Volo's Guide to the North (notes on wardmist spell):
The common use of wardings began in the North, probably in
ancient Netheril. The most ancient wards are found in tombs, in storage
areas under ruins, or in deep glades in the various forests of the North.
These ancient wards often have mythal-like magical alterations. These
include wild magic effects and prohibitions against magical items.

High-powered wards. Or proto-mythals?

quote:
from Elminster's Ecologies, Appendix 2 (The High Moor):
The Mobile Wild Magic Zone
Though no other mobile zones of wild magic are known, this field indeed seems to have all the properties of a
normal, nonmoving wild magic zone (as described in Running the Realms in the FORGOTTEN REALMS® Campaign Setting
box). The differences between a usual wild magic zone and this one are that this zone moves and is visible.
The zone has a maximum movement rate of 24. It is attracted to spellcasters - especially mages - and moves
toward them when they cast spells. The zone is usually spherical and has a diameter of 10 feet, but it has been
observed to elongate on occasion to an ellipsoid some 20 feet long and 5 feet wide at the center in order to engulf
two spellcasters at once. The zone hovers around spellcasters for 2d4 rounds before moving away, though it may
return if those spellcasters begin casting again.
[...] It has been described to me as a small field of scintillating light that is perhaps 10 feet in
diameter. It is said to rush toward people using a spell or magical item and surround them.

Maybe back from the Killing Storm time, who knows.

quote:
from Volo's Guide to the Dalelands (The Constable's Tower):
It is not known precisely what is going on in the Tower, but some sort of
strange, deadly cycle of magic holds sway in here. It seems to have been first
encountered after Ilthond was killed by the demishade Gothyl.
[...] Some of these renewing magics seem to have kept the Tower from flying apart or
collapsing in the magical struggle that has gone on for at least a season now. This
titanic unleashing of forces can be detected in the town below only by the
occasional flash of light or tremor, but some people claim it is beginning to
emit drifting areas of wild magic and may ultimately force the abandonment
of Dagger Falls itself!

Another source of "wild bubbles".
Guardian's Tear, thing under Raven's Bluff, and Constable's Tower. Are there others?
The other two also spin off dead magic zones, however.
quote:
from Volo's Guide to the Dalelands (Haunted Ruins of Moontassel):
Inside the wall stand the remnants of a small school of wizardry that was blasted
apart in a battle with rival mages long ago. The ruins were stripped of all magic that
could safely be taken away before the wall was put up, and adventurers are warned
that the wall has been sited so as to enclose a wild magic area created in the
battle. The wild magic area, reports go, does not extend all the way down into the
cellars of the riven school.

Magical battle.
Zeromaru X Posted - 11 Apr 2017 : 03:55:42
Tantras became the capital of Vesperin in 4e. Vesperin is a new nation located in what is called The Vast, west of Impiltur. 4e sources do not mention any anti-magic zones or problems with casting in the city (or in Vesperin, for the matter), but in 4e there was no weave to begin with.

I guess that, with the new weave, that place would have been fixed.
Ayrik Posted - 11 Apr 2017 : 03:40:16
A big chunk of Tantras - roughly half the city - became a dead-magic zone after the Time of Troubles. 2E lore mentions that this zone seems to be a permanent "hole" in the Weave, essentially impervious to efforts by Mystra's clergy to repair it. Also an attraction for criminals, fugitives, and others interested in securing themselves or their activities from magical intrusions.

Subsequent lore mentions Tantras rarely and this dead-magic zone not at all. Is it still there circa 3E or 4E Realmslore?
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 07 Apr 2017 : 17:39:33
Thanks. Yeah, I saw the inner faerun (around the sea of fallen stars) was covered in plagueland areas.

Which is perfect because that's where my players are at at the moment
Zeromaru X Posted - 07 Apr 2017 : 08:42:23
As for plaguelands, those must exists near places that once belonged to Abeir or were displaced to that world, such as Akanul (west Chessenta), Tymanther and Unther, Lantan or Halruaa, but by the current year of the 5e campaign, most of these lands have disappeared in the surface world. Maybe in the Underdark, near portals to the Far Realm (such below Neverwinter), the Spellplague has survived and thrived.
TBeholder Posted - 07 Apr 2017 : 08:05:50
Everywhere. Assuming frequency of major spellstorm incidents is roughly constant, the new affected areas appear as much as they vanish. There were decaying mythals (and no doubt other great spell-fields) and motile "bubbles" under Ravens Bluff. Time of Troubles added the Helmlands and "bubbles" from the Guardian's Tear.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000