Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Scrying Stones of Ilmara

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gary Dallison Posted - 08 Jan 2017 : 11:14:59
I see George Krashos has another offering on the DMs Guild
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 08 Jan 2017 : 18:24:29
Got it, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Trying to finish something before I get interested in something new.
sleyvas Posted - 08 Jan 2017 : 17:19:21
thanks for the heads up.

George,

I loved this. So far, I think this is one of your better articles on DM's Guild (at least for me). But, you know me... I read magic and my mind starts whirling with ways to use it in unintended paths. Throwing out some of what popped in my head in the below... some of which is theoretical because the rulesets and/or spells don't technically exist in this edition. Oh, and on the lorefront... I like that you left where they were discovered in Myth Drannor a mystery. My money's on they were discovered in the warded room where Nueleth was just prior to her disappearance and she was using them all to combat the army of darkness from this well warded room (warded as in both hard to discover AND hard to enter).... and that this tower was in fact in a small "extradimensional space" or possibly mistshrouded "portion of the feywild" woven into the mythal that no one since has been able to find, and that a chief power of this extradimensional space is its ability to contact other extradimensional spaces within the confines of the mythal itself... and thus Nueleth was hidden within an extradimensional space accessed from a mithral chest that was in fact within another space only accessible by somehow "climbing into the Mythal". Her death was caused whenever she ensnared the mezzoloth general Mhyrix, who unfortunately for her had a special spell in place that caused any transportation magic cast upon it to also affect the caster and then ward said caster from using further planar travel magic upon themselves, and thus Nueleth found herself captured within "Raanaghaun's Soulshard". It is rumored that the ageless aspect of the soulshard has left Nueleth entrapped to this day, unable to be freed unless "Raanaghaun's Soulshard" is itself destroyed, and that her advice to the Mage Royals was priceless to the formation of Impiltur. Or I could have just heard that from a Leiran.

Love Mentor's Mythalglass. I know the rules for Mythal Ghosts were somewhere in 2nd edition, but I've totally forgotten how they worked. I was worried about its power until I read "Uniquely, the scrying conducted by the crystal ball cannot follow a target as is normally the case, but is centered and remains on the area where the target was first scryed (i.e. 10 feet in all directions of the subject from the place they fail their saving throw). The user of the Mythalglass can use scrying on that area as long as they have not used the item to scry any other target in the intervening period." Then I read the part where the mythal ghost is basically confined to physical attacks, so you can't spellcast via it, and even if you put a weapon that has the ability to do some other damage type where your mythal ghost exists... he can't use that damage. Well balanced. So, the only abuses I can think of personally to put towards this item right now would be ones in which I place triggered spells that are cast upon a mythal ghost if it appears in a certain warded area (something like a damage shield... or multiple damage shields... like fire shield, rainbow shield, death armor, and similar elemental effects that are repercussions of attacking someone)... triggered illusions... maybe some wards similar to mage armor or barkskin to increase the AC... if someone were to make a version of ironguard for 5e that helped protect against magical metal weapons, that could be especially useful... since its not immune to electricity, that would be a good triggered ward as well, and a remake of some of the previous editions spells that ward against electricity and produce an electric damage shield would be useful. Similarly, something to block force damage could be useful.

I love "Raanaghaun’s Soulshard". I would recommend a little extra phrasing of some sort of WHERE a person VOLUNTARILY released from it appears? By this I mean, do they reappear in the area that they originally were scryed in and captured from OR do they reappear next to the crystal ball. Not that it breaks much, but I could see some who might use this as a means to transport individuals into secured areas (scry them, capture them, have them exit next to the crystal ball). Is there anything that would prevent a person being released in say an area warded against teleportation or planar travel magics? If there is, what happens if someone overfills the soulshard while in said area (say by accident)?

On the "Spellglobe of Hlithal".... I've heard that the person who stole it was in fact believed to be a powerful servant of Leira from Samarach (who of course was dead... so its said) and they were recovering it for the Savrassan theurge, the Farseer, of the House of the All-Seeing Orb in Tashluta. Why the Leiran priesthood and the Savrassan priesthood were working together so closely just prior to the spellplague and the ascension of Velsharoon is unknown, but it is a topic which has some followers of Leira, Savras, Azuth, Mystra, Deneir, Auppenser, Milil, and even the Red Knight filled with conjecture.

On the "Watch Crystal of Alathas" some believe that the records of the creation of this magic item are in fact what led Larloch down the path of the creation of the blueflame magic items just prior to the Spellplague.

Gary Dallison Posted - 08 Jan 2017 : 16:02:29
Cheers Wooly, its difficult to do links on my phone
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jan 2017 : 15:47:59
Perhaps a link is in order.

Clicky!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000