Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ravenloft ties to the realms in 5e??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 11 Jul 2016 : 14:00:25
Are there some kind of ties between Ravenloft in the realms with 5e? I seem to recall someone saying Barovia was tied to the realms now a month or two back???
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TomCosta Posted - 04 Dec 2017 : 01:44:53
As I mentioned on the Tomb of Annihilation scroll, at least one of the DM's Guild Adept program, AL-legal adventures links up with RL from the Realms.
Markustay Posted - 03 Dec 2017 : 17:15:45
The Mists are humanocentric, it seems (although there are a couple of 'monster' types - usually ones that could get away with posing as human, like Vamps, lycans, and dopplegangers). There is a raksasha, though, which is very peculiar IMO - those are fiends, so shouldn't ALL fiends qualify? Unless part of the qualifications is 'ruling over humans' in some form.

There are two OA Realms, but only one is directly linked to K-T (Its an Island of Terror, IIRC). The Mummy realm could be from anywhere 'pharonic'.

And with all that human sacrifice going on, I find it odd there is no Aztec (Maztica) like realm of dread. Ravenloft needs a dark 'Jumanji' like sub-continent.

Re-reading a lot of RL material yesterday, I get the idea its a bit more than 'generic' evil the dark Powers are looking for - there is a certain amount of 'deadly sins' going on there, and its almost always tied to some form of addiction/compulsion (even if that addiction is something like revenge, power, or even magical aptitude).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Dec 2017 : 16:42:31
Gondegal, Hazlin, Harkon Lukas, and Jander Sunstar spring immediately to mind... Though, of those, only one was from an FR source originally -- the others were all from Ravenloft lore (Vampire of the Mists is a Ravenloft novel). So three were created for Ravenloft, and I think Gondegal was just a conveniently available NPC. The fact that Lord Soth was made a darklord shows, IMO, that the Ravenloft setting designers were happily looking to loot whoever they could from other settings to show that the Mists could go everywhere.

There was a two-part adventure that went from the Realms to Ravenloft, too. I own but have not read the modules, so I couldn't say if anyone notable was in them, or any other details of them.

And there was a human family mentioned in Vampire of the Mists that had originated in the Realms.

As for why no Netherese or Imaskari went there... The Domains of Dread are only a few centuries old. Those Realms empires fell long before the Mists arose.

The Mists do seem to be oddly selective, though... I was just wondering why there were no dragon darklords (at least in the material I'm familiar with).
Markustay Posted - 03 Dec 2017 : 06:48:23
Casts *** Raise Scroll ***

Just the sort of thread I was looking for - has anyone ever attempted to compile all the connections between FR and RL? I found a bunch of FR lore in an old Ravenloft product recently, and I can't recall which one. It was a realm/personage who got 'sucked in' to the Domains of Dread. I know there have been plenty of others - does anyone have a list? There were at least two Red Wizards of note, and there was also that 'false king' from Cormyr/The Dales who wound up there.

You'd think more would go there, considering how many 'uber ebil' folk we've had. Geeze, you can't walk to the outhouse and back without tripping over a lich. Szass Tam definitely qualifies - he should have went (then again, in 5e, who knows?) Are creatures who are already from the Plane of Shadows (Shadowfell) exempt? Like, how come no Malaugrym ever went there? And what about the Netherese? or any Imaskari? You'd think someone from those empires would have 'made the cut'.
Gary Dallison Posted - 22 Jul 2016 : 08:06:18
GhoTR had bits on Gondegal in. I must go back and reread it immediately
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2016 : 04:14:41
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Gondegal ended up in Ravenloft? I had no idea. That's amazing.

So long as you aren't particular about which edition/setting you're drawing information from... you'll find a little more about Gondegal in the old "Black Box" for the RAVENLOFT setting. If you're interested in any 3e/3.5e information on Gondegal, see the Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume II.

Oh, and Brian's Grand History of the Realms featured a few new tidbits on Gondegal as well.
Arivia Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 22:42:21
Gondegal ended up in Ravenloft? I had no idea. That's amazing.
Rymac Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 06:12:24
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

FR13 Anauroch with Gondegal being lost to Ravenloft.

-- George Krashos

Indeed. In one of the Ravenloft sourcebooks you can find stats for Gondegal.
George Krashos Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 04:58:49
FR13 Anauroch with Gondegal being lost to Ravenloft.

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 04:22:26
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I suppose that Ravenloft (along with the entire Demiplane of Dread) has technically been tied to the Realms since 1E, lol, although canonical instructions about exactly how/where to place the Land of Barovia into the Realms were explicitly defined in 2E. The mists of Ravenloft were always around during 3E (although largely ignored since the Shadovar got so much dark love). And Ravenloft is not, to my mind, the sort of thing you can rip and sunder away with a few dead (and irrelevant) deities and simple 4E/5E handwavium - I mean, if it were, then I'm sure many people would have attempted it before.

2E, not 1E. In 1E, Ravenloft was just a single, standalone module. It was 2E that made it a campaign setting and added the whole "demiplane that reaches into other planes" thing.

Indeed. I can't remember offhand at the moment which Realms source first made the connection, but I'll look in my archives.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2016 : 03:03:09
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I suppose that Ravenloft (along with the entire Demiplane of Dread) has technically been tied to the Realms since 1E, lol, although canonical instructions about exactly how/where to place the Land of Barovia into the Realms were explicitly defined in 2E. The mists of Ravenloft were always around during 3E (although largely ignored since the Shadovar got so much dark love). And Ravenloft is not, to my mind, the sort of thing you can rip and sunder away with a few dead (and irrelevant) deities and simple 4E/5E handwavium - I mean, if it were, then I'm sure many people would have attempted it before.

2E, not 1E. In 1E, Ravenloft was just a single, standalone module. It was 2E that made it a campaign setting and added the whole "demiplane that reaches into other planes" thing.
Ayrik Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 20:39:15
CorellonsDevout Posted - 20 Jul 2016 : 19:27:19
I'm not really familar with the other settings heh. My only experience with Ravenloft is "Vampire of the Mists" by Christie Goldie.
BrianDavion Posted - 12 Jul 2016 : 21:49:50
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Agreed.

Now, if only we could get some new edition love for PLANESCAPE!

yeah, I'd KILL for a planescape adventure
The Sage Posted - 12 Jul 2016 : 14:54:50
Agreed.

Now, if only we could get some new edition love for PLANESCAPE!
BrianDavion Posted - 12 Jul 2016 : 12:38:54
5th edition seems to be returning to the old 2nd edition "great wheel, all the campaign settings are linked" vibe. which I think is great!
The Sage Posted - 12 Jul 2016 : 04:19:13
Brimstone's on the mark. There's an odd reference somewhere in an article released on the Wizards' website too, about when that tome was released, that makes some vague connections between the two worlds as of 5e D&D.
Brimstone Posted - 12 Jul 2016 : 02:40:22
Curse of Strahd starts off in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000