Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2016 & 2017)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2016 : 22:59:08
I decided that we weren't going to continue using the 2014 reading discussion... So here's a new one for the new year!

(And since this thread has but a few pages, might as well use it for 2017, as well.)
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jun 2017 : 04:31:21
I just finished reading the third book of the Warrior Trilogy, set in the Fourth Succession War of the BattleTech universe.

I wasn't even sure if I had those books, when I decided I wanted to read them again... With the exception of the post-Jihad stuff, I had all of the BattleTech novels (including The Sword and the Dagger) before the fire. Since not all of those novels were great, and since the Jihad really destroyed a lot of my enjoyment of the setting, I've not replaced all that many of the books...

But apparently the Warrior trilogy was in that small collection, as well as the Blood of Kerensky books. So I've got some of the best of the BTech stuff.

I'm not sure what's going to be next on my list... I need to look over the stack of recent acquisitions...

Edit: I have decided on a book called The Everything Box. I'd never heard of it, before finding the sequel in the store, recently -- but finding that sequel made me want to find the first book.... Because when you see a book entitled The Wrong Dead Guy, you've got to take a closer look.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 26 Jun 2017 : 00:03:43
Still reading some Pathfinder novels (though they are currently trying to find a new publisher, so their novel line is in a tight spot right now, too *le sigh*), and I've discovered some good m/m romances. Hey, we all have a guilty pleasure.
Rogue Bard Posted - 25 Jun 2017 : 23:47:01
I've just started reading R. A. Salvatore's "The Orc King". I'm also slogging through George R. R. Martin's "A Clash of Kings". I'm not implying it's bad, I'm just finding it somewhat boring in parts. But that may well be because this is technically the second time I'm reading it. I originally listened to the audiobook version which I found somewhat more enjoyable, but that was a while ago so I wanted to refresh my memory before moving on to "A Storm of Swords".
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jun 2017 : 17:01:52
I'm now reading The Explorers Guild: Volume One: A Passage to Shambhala by Jon Baird and Kevin Costner -- yes, the dude known for his lupine dance partners and for being in a movie that spawned one of the most overplayed songs in the history of noise.

It's interesting, the way it's written. It's set during World War I, and has some of the pulp feel of stories written during that time frame. But what makes it more distinctive is the way the story is told... Part of it is an omniscient narrator, who makes his own comments on the action, here and there. The narrator will describe everything that leads up to a particular scene, and then it becomes a graphic novel, with 4-panel comic pages depicting the scene itself.

There are also a lot of illustrations, scattered throughout the book. I don't think I've read a novel with this many illustrations since I was in grade school!

I just started the book late last night, so I've barely been able to read it for an hour... But I am quite intrigued, thus far, and enjoying this odd approach to storytelling.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 May 2017 : 02:45:23
Started The High Druid's Blade by Terry Brooks.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 May 2017 : 02:31:42
I just finished reading a novel of The Strange called Myth of the Maker. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great -- and there were some editing mistakes that really bugged me.

I'm also reading The Once and Future King. I've only been reading it at lunch at work, and those have been short lunches, as well... So I'm not very far into it. I also wasn't expecting that much of a kids' book. My enthusiasm to complete this one very much knows some bounds.
RDS Posted - 22 May 2017 : 17:24:05
I actually haven't picked up a realms novels since I finished Mel Odom's Rising Tide. By that time I had a large amount of FR Sourcebooks that were being ignored and decided to forgo the novels and catch up.

For the past several months I've been re-reading the Wheel of Time series. (back up to book 7) I originally got as far at book 9 or 10 before catching up to what Jordan had written and never went back till I got the rest.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 May 2017 : 18:29:05
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

Perfect, just about done with Servant of the Shard and Sea of Swords is waiting on my shelf. The next Sellswords books are on their way!

Enjoy!
Taleras Posted - 19 May 2017 : 14:05:28
Perfect, just about done with Servant of the Shard and Sea of Swords is waiting on my shelf. The next Sellswords books are on their way!
Artemas Entreri Posted - 19 May 2017 : 14:01:29
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Your order is correct.

Thank you for confirming!

Servant of the Shard also serves as the first book in the Sellswords series which focuses on the adventures of Jarlaxle and Entreri.
Taleras Posted - 17 May 2017 : 18:38:23
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Your order is correct.

Thank you for confirming!
Artemas Entreri Posted - 17 May 2017 : 17:06:11
quote:

I'm currently reading Servant of the Shard which has been an awesome change of pace as a side story for the Drizzt series. According to a list I was looking at, this was the proper book to read after Spine of the World and before Sea of Swords. So next up will be Sea of Swords and then I think I will finish the Sellswords series after that. Any thoughts from anyone on that order of books?

Your order is correct.
Taleras Posted - 17 May 2017 : 13:42:46
I'm currently reading Servant of the Shard which has been an awesome change of pace as a side story for the Drizzt series. According to a list I was looking at, this was the proper book to read after Spine of the World and before Sea of Swords. So next up will be Sea of Swords and then I think I will finish the Sellswords series after that. Any thoughts from anyone on that order of books?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 May 2017 : 19:36:40
Today I started The Ace of Skulls, the fourth book of the Ketty Jay series. I started those books a week or two ago, and I've been happily tearing through them -- it's an enjoyable series. It kind of has a Firefly feel to it...

The (unnamed) world its set on seems to be around 1900s technology -- but more advanced in some ways. They've got pistols and knives for combat, but they also use airships (made lighter than air by a substance called aerium, which is mined but later rendered gaseous by using electromagnets).

There is also daemonism, which involves summoning daemons to do things that rather resemble magic. But the daemonism involves science; they have to use specialized equipment (including oscilloscopes) to summon and contain daemons by dialing in the daemon's particular combination of frequencies and harmonics.

The Firefly feel comes from the action centering around the crew of the ramshackle airship Ketty Jay - a cross between a cargo ship and a combat ship. The crew are a disreputable bunch, including criminals, an alcoholic doctor, a self-centered captain, a cowardly fighter pilot, and the cat that suffers their presence on the ship.

At the start of the first book, they're a rough bunch that don't really care too much about each other, but as the series progresses, the captain becomes more Malcolm Reynolds-like and the crew really pulls together.

I'm rather enjoying these books.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 05 May 2017 : 19:21:10
I am currently reading The Redemption Engine in the Pathfinder Tales. I'm digging it lol.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 05 May 2017 : 18:26:33
Each of the Sundering novels stand on their own, with loose connections. The Companions, Godborn, Adversary, and Herald are of course connected to other series.
Arivia Posted - 05 May 2017 : 13:54:00
I realized that it had been far too long since I picked up a Realms novel and actually read it. I keep trying to read Ed's novels and distract myself making notes. So yesterday I splurged at the bookstore and got Ashes of the Tyrant, the Godborn, the Adversary, the Herald, the Reaver, and the Sentinel. I'll have to get the rest of Erin M. Evans' stuff and the Companions to fill in the gaps. That was literally everything on the shelves not by R.A. Salvatore.

Is there strict continuity stuff between the Sundering novels or can I read one of the ones I have without reading the Companions first?
BountyHunter Posted - 23 Apr 2017 : 22:23:00
Cool, thanks Wooly. I think I will take your suggestion and dive into the world of Pathfinder for a bit. I have the comics and a couple of the audio dramas on the way, too.

Cracking the book open now. #128578;
BountyHunter Posted - 23 Apr 2017 : 22:21:58
Cool, thanks Wooly. I think I will take your suggestion and dive into the world of Pathfinder for a bit. I have the comics and a couple of the audio dramas on the way, too.

Cracking the book open now. #128578;
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Apr 2017 : 16:27:16
quote:
Originally posted by BountyHunter

I'm currently finishing up The Crystal Shard, and since book 4 of the Legend of Drizzt hasn't arrived yet, I'm not sure what to read yet. My choices are:

Elminster: Making of a Mage
Blackstaff

Or

Pathfinder Tales Prince of Wolves

Suggestions? I haven't read any Pathfinder stuff at all, it's something new I've decided to dip into. Anyone here a fan?

Edit: hours and hours later. Gee, I seem to be a huge thread killer on these boards. Lol

I like Blackstaff, myself, but of the lot, I think I'd have to recommend Prince of Wolves. It's the first of many good books by Dave Gross about Chelexian noble and half-elf Varian Jeggare and his tiefling assistance Radovan. The later books about that duo are better, but this is the one that introduces them.
BountyHunter Posted - 22 Apr 2017 : 21:49:22
I'm currently finishing up The Crystal Shard, and since book 4 of the Legend of Drizzt hasn't arrived yet, I'm not sure what to read yet. My choices are:

Elminster: Making of a Mage
Blackstaff

Or

Pathfinder Tales Prince of Wolves

Suggestions? I haven't read any Pathfinder stuff at all, it's something new I've decided to dip into. Anyone here a fan?

Edit: hours and hours later. Gee, I seem to be a huge thread killer on these boards. Lol
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Apr 2017 : 20:14:11
I finished The Impossible Fortress during my lunch break, this day.

The book basically follows one 14 year old boy, from April of 1987 through the summer of that year. The whole thing starts with this guy and his two friends trying to get their hands on the new issue of Playboy, because it had Vanna White in it. In the process, the main character meets a girl, and the story flows from that development. It's a good tale, kind of a coming of age story with a lot of 80's references. I don't know that I'll call it one of my fave reads of the year, but if not, it will be in the "almost faves" of the year category.

Not sure what's going to be next in the reading list. I've got at least a couple potential candidates that are new reads, or I might find an old favorite to revisit.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Apr 2017 : 14:42:05
Last night, I finished Dead Witch Walking, which did get slightly more interesting, but never quite grabbed me.

Now I'm on The Impossible Fortress.
Thoth Posted - 19 Apr 2017 : 12:14:19
I picked up the audio book of the Thrawn novel the other day, and have out it on my list. Thanks for the comments, I look forward to "reading" it!
Artemas Entreri Posted - 16 Apr 2017 : 04:04:53
quote:
Originally posted by Thoth

Just about to re-read R. Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber again, starting with "Nine Princes in Amber". Classic.

Good one.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000