Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Herald recommendation [NO Spoiler]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 07 Feb 2015 : 15:29:46
Hi guys, I know i'm a slowpoke, but prior to reading The Sundering i only read Drizzt Saga.
Then I came to the sundering and i tried to do things properly.
As shown in this thread, http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19534 i read everything in the suggested order.

in the last year I read all Sembia Gateway (and surprisingly i enjoyed it), then i devoured Erevis Cale (i loved it), godborn, Farideh's saga, the adversary,the reaver, The avatar 5 books, now i'm finishing the third Return of the Archwizards and i'm going for the Sentry.

I managed to avoid every spoiler regarding the sundering but i would like to speed up... but now i'm a littlebit concerned about Elminster.
I've never read anything starring Aumar, but those bits in the Avatar, or in Archwizards... i didnt enjoy it.
If, after the Sentry, i'll go straight to the Herald... am i going to miss something of it?

Namely, i LOVED Malik in the Archwizards, probably beacuse i had just finished reading Crucible...

Is there something similar (a comeback?!) in the Herald? Do you suggest reading all of Elminster or may i jump straight to the end of the sundering?

thank you for your help

1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tanthalas Posted - 07 Feb 2015 : 21:57:15
The funny thing about Elminster is that other authors tend to portray him as an ultimate wizard. Ed Greenwood makes him more human, and has him commiting mistakes a lot.

You can easily go straight to The Herald if you want to and still understand the story, but I'd suggest reading the Sage of Shadowdale trilogy first. Older Elminster books are good reads, but they won't have any info that you really need to understand The Herald. Just be aware that Ed Greenwood's writing style is kind of messy, with the plot constantly jumping around.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000