Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Help - Days of the Week v Work week

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dfmagi Posted - 16 Jan 2015 : 21:52:40
Hello, I am running the realms and i have a interesting question. The week is 10 days, but no one works 10 days straight, therefore what is the "weekends" on your world. In true history the average peasant only worked 3-4 days per week, or the lords would have a riot on their hands. So in a 10 day week, what is the "off" days? how do you have it?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kalbaern Posted - 04 Feb 2015 : 21:08:55
The 3.5e FRCS has the following on page 86 in regards to this topic.

Work and Rest

Common folk, artisans, merchants, and even the nobility routinely work tenday after tenday until a religious holiday, local festival, or one of the annual holidays rolls around to give them a day off. Some parts of the Heartlands have gradually accepted the idea that people who do not want to work everyday, and whose duties and responsibilities allow it, can take the tenth day of the week off. There is no standard name for this nonholiday day of rest. In the Dalelands, for reasons no one knows, they call it the "elf day". In Cormyr they call it "dragon rest", saying, "Even a dragon needs to rest".

In any given town, hamlet, or city, some folk choose to work through the tenday. But the day of rest has become common enough that nearly associates the tenth day with some form of avoiding one's duty. Raising both open palms, showing all of one's fingers, and waving them back and forth has become visual slang for "just taking it easy, not doing anything much".
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jan 2015 : 20:40:17
I'll put it this way.... depends on the person more than likely. Farmers for instance probably still have to feed the livestock, pick the eggs up, milk the cows, draw up water, etc.... every day of the week. They may have shorter workdays though, as the human body can only take so much strenuous labor.
Kentinal Posted - 19 Jan 2015 : 17:40:40
Well it appear China used to have a 10 day week, government officials ordered to rest every 5th day. Or for a time it was every 10 days.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jan 2015 : 15:34:38
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

I would guess the people in Faerun could work and study for either work 4 days, have a 1 day free, then work 3 days more, and have 2 more days free from work. Alternately, they would work for 7 days straight, and then rest 3 days, but 7 day work week would be exausting.

Or go 4 days on, 1 day off, then repeat.
Baltas Posted - 19 Jan 2015 : 08:30:45
I would guess the people in Faerun could work and study for either work 4 days, have a 1 day free, then work 3 days more, and have 2 more days free from work. Alternately, they would work for 7 days straight, and then rest 3 days, but 7 day work week would be exausting.
Delwa Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 13:27:41
I vaguely remember reading something (it might have been in the So Saith Ed scrolls) that people just take off what days they feel works best for them, but that working a straight tenday isn't uncommon, given the amount of work isn't anything like we work today. The 40 hour work week is a relatively new invention in our world, anyway, as you pointed out. I'm away from books at the moment, so that's all I can scratch up until work is over.
dfmagi Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 05:56:42
No one has any data or inspiration on this?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000