Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How Many?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Markustay Posted - 20 May 2014 : 23:41:06
This may have been better in the 'Sages' section, but I think it would get a faster response here:

Someone just asked me a question I had no idea how to answer - Whats the average word count for a novel?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kentinal Posted - 21 May 2014 : 21:46:14
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

Wow, somehow I inserted "Forgotten Realms" into that question. Sorry. Yeah, my answer is only specific to these books. Richard's answer is much better for novels in general.

Well, if one considers the section of the library, the scroll clearly appeared to be asking about the length of Realms' novels. *S*
ErinMEvans Posted - 21 May 2014 : 18:09:00
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

If memory serves, the various writer award (Hugo, Nebula, Bram Stoker, etc.) rules say that a work is a novel if it's at least 40,000 words long.

Now that doesn't mean that you can meet the terms of your contract by turning in a novel that short. As Erin notes, WotC contracts, for example, stipulate books longer than that.

Wow, somehow I inserted "Forgotten Realms" into that question. Sorry. Yeah, my answer is only specific to these books. Richard's answer is much better for novels in general.
Dalor Darden Posted - 21 May 2014 : 17:54:14
Damn Richard and his intellect!
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 21 May 2014 : 13:27:29
If memory serves, the various writer award (Hugo, Nebula, Bram Stoker, etc.) rules say that a work is a novel if it's at least 40,000 words long.

Now that doesn't mean that you can meet the terms of your contract by turning in a novel that short. As Erin notes, WotC contracts, for example, stipulate books longer than that.
Dalor Darden Posted - 21 May 2014 : 06:39:33
Minimum I think is about 50k to count as a novel...while as much as 175k seems to be done often enough to be counting that number as a "Novel".

That's what my Google-Fu revealed I think.
ErinMEvans Posted - 21 May 2014 : 05:16:30
Standard contracted length for a paperback is 90,000 words. And we use the word count function because it's just simpler.

Hardcover authors have more leeway, and currently there's more still. Adversary was 165k, anyway.
Kentinal Posted - 21 May 2014 : 00:37:31
I recall that Ed was asked to write something like 150,000 words so that TSR could trim it down of some content to more like 100,000 words. I would have to find the quote to be sure about the numbers and the source.

It also used to be a standard that five letters was considered a word ( As the = one word) and I and not certain what the current standard that is used for an actual word count (with computers these days the letter I could be counted as a word just as easy as Waterdeep).
Garen Thal Posted - 21 May 2014 : 00:01:39
Most FR novels run approximately 306 pages (no, really: look) and a shade unde 100,000 words.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000