Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 "The Adversary" -- Prologue & Chapters 1 - 3

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 05 Dec 2013 : 02:43:46
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Adversary (part of "The Sundering" saga), by Erin M. Evans. Please discuss the Prologue, chapters 1 - 3, and the Interlude herein.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gyor Posted - 08 Jan 2014 : 03:34:10
Thanks for the lore.
Gyor Posted - 08 Jan 2014 : 02:42:06
Thanks for the lore.
ErinMEvans Posted - 26 Dec 2013 : 23:03:49
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Adversary (part of "The Sundering" saga), by Erin M. Evans. Please discuss the Prologue, chapters 1 - 3, and the Interlude herein.

There is another Book Club over on Goodreads (formerly the WotC Novels Book Club) which is currently reading The Adversary. I'm going to drop the lore-related stuff I mention over there into these threads, in case anyone is interested. (Or you can come over here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1623766-the-adversary---chapters-1-3

About "collector devils": Cambions (half-devils) are interesting to me in particular, since they cannot advance up the hierarchy the way other devils can. For those unfamiliar with the lore of the Nine Hells, devils’ forms change to something more powerful as they’re promoted or demoted. (Lorcan and Sairché’s mother was demoted from an erinyes to a succubus in the first book). Cambions don’t have that ability, and so they have less to gain and more to lose by playing the hierarchy’sgames. If they displease the wrong archdevil, they can’t be demoted into a lesser form: they can only be killed (and then presumably their souls return to the Nine Hells and possibly arise as new devils, so I guess in a sense, they can advance up the hierarchy…just not in a very pleasant way).

There are surely more examples of these sort of “micro-status” actions in the Hells. I’d put them vaguely on par with achievements in video games. You’re not going to win because you find all the tokens, but you can definitely lord it over anyone else who seriously plays that game. And there are definitely other benefits to collecting warlocks, intentional or unintentional.

* Temerity is the first of Lorcan's other warlocks that shows up "on-screen." I'm inordinately pleased at her "virtue name." Margarites and Zeal Harper join Bryseis Kakistos, Caisys the Vicelord, Titus Greybeard, Caldura Elyria, Phrenike, and Nicodemus to make eight out of the Toril Thirteen.

* The Harper agent in the taproom, "Lady Hedare," is Tennora from my first book The God Catcher. Because originally, this book was supposed to be about Tennora--they asked me for a human wizard story. I found I couldn't deliver--I liked the book I was going to write, but not where I'd have to take the series they wanted. So I convinced the Powers That Be to take a chance on a tiefling warlock book. But here is a little glimpse of the Adversary That Wasn't. Tennora is a Harper with a slightly scandalous lover, and she still works for Nazra Mrays.

*Lord Vescaras Ammakyl also would have been in that book, although he didn't come together as a charater until The Adversary. I just had a picture in my mind of a Harper agent who was a half-elf nobleman, looked like Paterson Joseph and acted like a kind of stuffy James Bond. So I went to Ed Greenwood and asked if there was any way to make this work (and maybe also make him a wine merchant...). He offered up the Ammakyls, whose matriarch in the 2E Waterdeep boxed set was drawn as an elf. Some rough geneological calculations of the intervening five Lords/Ladies Ammakyl and their Turami and elven spouses, and here's Vescaras, son of Lord Lroster Ammakyl, who is married to (an elf) Lady Iluendrue Ammakyl. (His younger sister, Jadzia, is named after said matriarch and the elder is the Ammakyl heir.)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000