Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Player's Guide to AD&D Forgotten Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JohnLynch Posted - 25 Aug 2013 : 11:48:38
So I've been working on a player's guide to the Forgotten Realms. It's meant to convey character creation rules as well as give a hint of the flavour. I'd originally written it for D&D Next but with the playtest packets being revealed I decided to try give 2nd ed a look and I quite like the rules. As such I'm converting the guide to AD&D with player's being able to create a character using it rather than needing to buy books that have been out of print for years (I do plan on purchasing the recent reprints for the core 3 that WotC have produced).

A copy of it can be found here (cover needs redoing). The chapters are as follows:

• 1. Introduction: An overview of the campaign starting location

• 2. Creating a Character: basics of creating a character. Specific details are covered in later chapters.

• 3. Races: Rules for the different races using 2nd ed rules. Need to work on this area (give half-elves a brief description, remove references to lightfoot halflings. I'm just using the core AD&D PHB races here.

I've specifically referenced every different type of human ethnicity as its own subrace to help emphasise the different flavours of each of the races. I've also used this as a chance to remove the "Common" tongue from the game. PCs instead have access to the "Trade Tongue" as well as a racial language.

• 4. Classes: All of the standard PHB classes, some kits for some of the classes as well as most of the Faiths and Avatars classes. I've also homebrewed a "minister" class which is a divine bard who replaces thief skills (and some of the bardic skills) for turning undead. Standard clerics are specialty priests and thus aren't able to turn undead.

• 5. Non-Weapon Proficiencies: Not yet written. I'll mostly just be using the PHB NWP.

• 6. Languages: I've outlined most of the PC race languages, some of the monster languages as well as a couple of dead languages. PCs will be able to gain training in these languages through NWPs. I've also listed which races commonly learn other languages. In Pathfinder I've often found myself asking the DM "what would be an appropriate language for my character to learn" so this section answers that question.

• 7. Deities: This chapter lists every single deity that was actively worshipped before the Time of Troubles. I've also listed which divine classes belong to each of the deities (need to convert a couple of D&D Next classes to AD&D classes for a couple of the deities). This list will likely be pared down to deities appropriate for PC worship.

• 8. Combat: This chapter will have the AD&D rules for combat as well as the optional rules I'll be using (as few as possible to start with).

• 9. Currency: This chapter lists the different currencies as well as conversion rates between them. It also includes descriptions of the different coins.

So that's it. I'd be interested in hearing what people think and if they notice any errors. I'm also missing descriptions for some of the currencies and could use some help in getting descriptions for them.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JohnLynch Posted - 29 Aug 2013 : 07:55:33
Wow. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'll continue to post as I work on it.
The Arcanamach Posted - 26 Aug 2013 : 09:01:01
Really great stuff here.
Kris the Grey Posted - 26 Aug 2013 : 05:12:46
That really is quite creative! I agree, please keep up the good work.
Seravin Posted - 26 Aug 2013 : 04:12:31
Loving it! Keep it going!
Seravin Posted - 26 Aug 2013 : 04:12:08
Loving it! Keep it going!
Dalor Darden Posted - 26 Aug 2013 : 03:17:19
Pure win this! Seriously, wonderful work!
SirUrza Posted - 25 Aug 2013 : 22:57:07
Pretty cool.
xaeyruudh Posted - 25 Aug 2013 : 16:53:42
Nice! I've been meaning to do a Player's Guide for my campaign for a few years now, but I keep getting distracted. I blame the quantum dilation of Sagetime(tm).
Brimstone Posted - 25 Aug 2013 : 14:17:13
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

This is some really good stuff. Well done.

-- George Krashos

Indeed, what Crash said. Looks really good and sent me to a very happy place.
George Krashos Posted - 25 Aug 2013 : 12:31:26
This is some really good stuff. Well done.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000