Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Caladan Brood Posted - 24 May 2013 : 19:28:43
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/20130524

Color me curious. A classic FR site, a new edition. I hope the art of that massive fortress is supposed to be Dragonspear though.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gary Dallison Posted - 22 Sep 2014 : 15:22:50
I think everyone is always interested in the maps Markus. You post a link and i will download it and file it away forever, lovingly pouring over every detail like some mad, obsessed hermit (which i am).

Markustay Posted - 22 Sep 2014 : 15:02:05
Working on a map that will combine the Neverwinter and Phandelver ones, along with older sites/lore (like the Mere of Dead Men series from Dungeon Magazine). I've come up with a newer way of presenting the maps, that I think will be more useful (to playing the game - my old ones were better for 'FR aficionados').

I should have that up in a few days, if anyone is interested. This isn't one of my usual 'wait forever' promises - I am using it for my home game.
Markustay Posted - 17 Sep 2014 : 05:33:27
Probably, but it was a little more then that.

I have several programs heavily customized, GIMP being the major one of those. Part of what I do is create tons of textures, symbol sets, gradients, etc. When i lost PS the last time, I lost EVERYTHING - not just the files, but the tools I created to do maps.

My plan was to simply put the files in the new machine, but then I decided I really wanted to just get the old one running again, because I hate having to re-teach windows how I work (all my saved passwords, favorite sites, etc, etc).

Anyhow, thanks to Erik Boyd and the new 5e rules, I am really getting into FR lore again, which is always a good thing. Its like running into an old friend you haven't seen in awhile.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Sep 2014 : 23:28:03
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Maps are off.

And no Krash, I haven't forgotten about Impiltur. The newer work I have been doing has actually made me dissatisfied (AGAIN) with my past work, soooooo....

I had a wacky/busy/disastrous sort of summer, and I am only now recovering, and I am starting to take care of projects promised, but it will be slow going. One of the things that happened was a computer crash, which made me go out and buy a new one (which I really couldn't afford), and then I realized I still had to repair the old one or else loose everything I've done up until this point (which is what happened when my house burned down). So now I've gotten the old one running well again, and I have a new one, so I can at least back-up my work from now on.

Anyhow, the 5th edition rules are pretty good, and I am looking forward to another edition of having fun with FR.

You couldn't just swap the hard drive, or slap it into an enclosure?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Sep 2014 : 23:27:59
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Maps are off.

And no Krash, I haven't forgotten about Impiltur. The newer work I have been doing has actually made me dissatisfied (AGAIN) with my past work, soooooo....

I had a wacky/busy/disastrous sort of summer, and I am only now recovering, and I am starting to take care of projects promised, but it will be slow going. One of the things that happened was a computer crash, which made me go out and buy a new one (which I really couldn't afford), and then I realized I still had to repair the old one or else loose everything I've done up until this point (which is what happened when my house burned down). So now I've gotten the old one running well again, and I have a new one, so I can at least back-up my work from now on.

Anyhow, the 5th edition rules are pretty good, and I am looking forward to another edition of having fun with FR.

You couldn't just swap the hard drive, or slap it into an enclosure?
Markustay Posted - 16 Sep 2014 : 22:22:09
Maps are off.

ericlboyd Posted - 28 Aug 2014 : 17:09:56
Yeah, but it was brilliant and explains the presence of hags throughout the North!

In all seriousness, the writing is done, although George and I may putter with the Realmslore a bit more. I just have to finish the last bloody map!

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Writing complete. Yeah!

Needs one more simple map, if only I can figure out Campaign Cartographer again. Sigh.

Anyhow, getting so close to done I can taste it.

--Eric

Eric spoke too soon. I sent him some more stuff this morning.

-- George Krashos

George Krashos Posted - 28 Aug 2014 : 02:25:03
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Writing complete. Yeah!

Needs one more simple map, if only I can figure out Campaign Cartographer again. Sigh.

--Eric

Eric spoke too soon. I sent him some more stuff this morning.

-- George Krashos
ericlboyd Posted - 27 Aug 2014 : 23:20:03
Writing complete. Yeah!

--Eric
Brian R. James Posted - 25 Aug 2014 : 21:54:49
Woah! Nice Eric. Looking forward to it.
ericlboyd Posted - 25 Aug 2014 : 21:28:47
So, I'm working on Under Illefarn Anew again. It's 99% done. I'll have the writing done in 1-2 weeks. Hoping for one more map from a certain mapper. Then I'll give it to a few folks to look over. Then I'll figure out a way to get it out there.

Current page count: 301
Current word count: 229k

--Eric
The Masked Mage Posted - 30 Jun 2014 : 15:03:18
I don't know what's actually in the module, but there has been nothing really cannon about dragonspear castle in FOREVER. Unless they were trying to make it not fit, sliding it into 3rd/4th or 5th E should be no problem.
The Wizard Wildcard Posted - 01 Jun 2014 : 15:26:19
Hi old gamer, new member - first post(be kind please).

I was very fortunate to get a copy of The Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle. Thanks to a very cool friend/player and E-bay.

So in our campaign, I am DM. I've worked hard over the years to keep the same "alive" feel to the Forgotten Realms as some of you have too. So saying this looking at The Sundering, i.e. D&D Next introduction chronology. In our game we converted/started it in Nightal 1479, and then later proceeded to start the module The Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle on Midsummer 1480. Looking at the chronology of the last novel The Herald, by literary great Ed Greenwood in The Sundering series, which at least in part takes place in 1487 - Year of the Rune Lords Triumphant.

So riddle me this oh Sages. Does this jive, with Realms Cannon? When does The Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, officially take place?
Markustay Posted - 05 Dec 2013 : 02:32:06
Ah, okay - I hadn't realized it has so much; then that price is more then fair.
Plaguescarred Posted - 04 Dec 2013 : 14:21:39
Its over 200 pages with a portion being D&D Next rules and the other being 4 adventures and a small section on Daggerford & Area.
Markustay Posted - 04 Dec 2013 : 13:53:50
Thats a bit much for a pdf - I remember buying physical books for $12!

How many pages is it? I thought it was a simple adventure, but if it has more 'meat' then that, then I can justify that cost.

{sigh} Guess curiosity will make me take the plunge.
Plaguescarred Posted - 03 Dec 2013 : 19:50:14
Ghost of Dragonspear is now available in PDF at www.dndclassics.com

http://www.dndclassics.com/product/123270/Ghosts-of-Dragonspear-Castle-%28D%26D-Next%29
Markustay Posted - 25 Nov 2013 : 01:37:48
quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

I'd love to see maps you did if possible!
Since parts of that map are still (IMO) property of Eric Boyd (and those who helped him with lore), and the Daggerford Anew product may yet be released in some other form (perhaps as a 5e regional guide), I am not at liberty to share those maps with anyone... unfortunately. Probably some of my best work. Like I said, it looks like Mike Shley made them all the better, which is great, and until I am able to purchase a copy myself, I have no way of knowing what was included and what was left-off. Until I know more, and the rest of it becomes 'public' somehow, it is what it is. Like I said, a couple of locales made it onto my map of the North (I couldn't help myself), but thats about it.

quote:

I will check when i get home what key it use but IIRC it use numbering. I'm pretty quite sure the maps are based on the one contained in N5 Under Illfarn, which had both a regional map and a city map, the regional one had less notable sites on it though.
My interest in the numbering system stems from my having to create a fairly simply ID system for every single building, using a letter to denote district and a corresponding number (because you try putting three-digit numbers on buildings that small, and still have the whole thing look attractive!)

So my system was a letter followed by a number, rather then just numbers (which I felt streamlined things for a DM trying to find the right info). All you need do is look at the first letter and you know what part of the map to look at.

We had toyed with using the original numbering system, but the two different versions (1e/2e) used different numbering, and even moved the buildings around, so we decided to start fresh.

I still can't figure out why the largest boat-building business was located inside the gates, instead of alongside the river. Then again, the city is know to flood regularly, so perhaps they just waited for the next flood.

Anyhow, thats a great region to explore and adventure in - lots of things to do around there. You even have gnome, dwarven, and elven ruins all in the area (and hags, and dragons, and Castle Dragonspar, and several 'lost kingdoms', the High moor, Larloch directly to the south, etc, etc). Hell, you have Waterdeep just to the north, and the 'eastern reaches' of the Duchy of Daggerford includes the western border of fallen Athalantar, where Elminster was born.

Adventure Awaits.
George Krashos Posted - 25 Nov 2013 : 00:11:20
Ahh, good stuff. I was interested to see what use they made of Eric's material.

-- George Krashos
Plaguescarred Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 22:47:41
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Plaguescarred, can you confirm what you posted on the WotC boards about Ghosts being released publicly in December? I'm gonna kick myself if you can.
I confirm that WoTC Greg Blisland has announced during the Extra Life Marathon 25 Hours of Dungeons & Dragons Event that Ghost of Dragonspear Castle will be available on PDF at dndclassics.com as of December. You can find replay of the event here;

http://fr.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd/b/475999116
http://fr.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd/b/476016137
Plaguescarred Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 22:37:10
I'd love to see maps you did if possible!

I will check when i get home what key it use but IIRC it use numbering. I'm pretty quite sure the maps are based on the one contained in N5 Under Illfarn, which had both a regional map and a city map, the regional one had less notable sites on it though.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Drohem/Daggerford/Daggerford_101.jpg
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/174348/Daggerford5.jpg
Markustay Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 14:35:48
To add to what Krash said, there is also quite a bit of unreleased 'Ed Lore' in there as well, including (finally!) some details about Orlumbor. I never understood why no one questioned the extra locales I including in my Map of the North. Like I said - its all canon, because anything ED SAYS IS CANON.

Of course, the unreleased map had MUCH more...

So we are talking about an Eric Boyd 'labor of love', and he received help and 'extra bits' from such notables as EG and GK. Like I said - WELL WORTH the cover price, just for that. I am hoping they are saving the 'meat' of this unreleased product as a regional sourcebook come 5e - its jaw-drooping good. Just about everyone who got a look at it at Gencon 2013 was blown away. Pretty-much what we've been begging for for quite some time.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MarkustayI'd love to see a Mike Shley map of the Daggerford/Waterdeep environs.

I posted Mike's Daggerford maps here (its small though)

Daggerford product Maps
I can't tell at that scale - how did he handle the river/moat? It makes no-sense on earlier maps, and my art wasn't good enough to convey what Eric wanted. I'd love to see how MS handled that dilemma.

As for the other map - mine went a tad bit further south and east, but that looks perfect. Its kind of a dream come true, allowing me to do the initial geography layout for something Mr. Schley put his master's touch to.

Too bad I couldn't get a copy - I'd love to compare the two closer up. Still, I am a happy camper.

One last thing - was there a 'map key' to the city/town of Daggerford itself? What sort of numbering/lettering system was used for that? Just curious (an NO, I am NOT looking for 'ammunition' for anything - I will state right now that EVERYTHING I did for Eric Boyd is OWNED by Eric Boyd, and he can do whatever he wants with it, including sell/give it to WotC!) I claim no rights to any of it.

Had to get that disclaimer out of the way...
Marco Volo Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 13:33:50
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Plaguescarred, can you confirm what you posted on the WotC boards about Ghosts being released publicly in December?

Oh yes ! Can you confirm this please ?
hashimashadoo Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 12:26:34
Plaguescarred, can you confirm what you posted on the WotC boards about Ghosts being released publicly in December? I'm gonna kick myself if you can.
Plaguescarred Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 09:04:22
quote:
Originally posted by MarkustayI'd love to see a Mike Shley map of the Daggerford/Waterdeep environs.

I posted Mike's Daggerford maps here (its small though)

http://community.wizards.com/comment/49778991#comment-49778991
Plaguescarred Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 08:57:01
Thanks George for sharing the secrets!
George Krashos Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 08:17:21
I don't think I'm telling secrets out of school when I let you know that a couple of months ago, because his kids had shown an interest in D&D, Eric decided to run them through "Under Illefarn". Of course, being Eric, he couldn't run it as is, but fleshed it out significantly. Very significantly. Markustay helped him out with some revamped maps, and I gave him a ton of history and backstory (more lineages did I hear you say?) and he gave WotC a look during some Sundering discussions. They clearly have taken some of it for this project.

-- George Krashos
Alruane Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 07:34:38
Interesting.
Plaguescarred Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 07:13:23
I got in touch with WoTC Greg Blisland who confirmed it was an unreleased product from older days;

@Plaguescarred GoDC incorporate material from Under Illefarn Anew (unpublished) by Eric Boyd Was it unreleased during 3E or a future release?
@gregbilsland Unreleased.
Markustay Posted - 24 Nov 2013 : 02:28:21
I had thought it was going to be a special release at Gencon 2013 (but I suppose it was still too soon - Eric Boyd was still tweaking it throughout the con.)

Then I thought it may have seen the light of day at this year's Gencon, and I guess it did, but not how I expected. Hopefully we will still get to see that work in all its glory someday. The history section alone would be worth the cover price.

They'll probably get a better map artist for the published product, though, which is fine by me. I'd love to see a Mike Shley map of the Daggerford/Waterdeep environs.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000