Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The sword Charon's Claw and Charon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 16 Nov 2012 : 15:07:01
I haven't followed the Drizzt anthologies (I know, I need to... I've just been reading everything else in the realms... I did read several of the early works). I know Artemis had a blade called Charon's Claw (and I just found some interesting information on its history on the web). What I'm wondering is do they every actually mention Charon in reference to the blade (as in Charon, the boatman of the river styx, was involved)?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Thauranil Posted - 17 Nov 2012 : 11:55:03
Yeah he does seem to like the Greek names. But they generally do sound pretty cool lol.
Markustay Posted - 16 Nov 2012 : 22:29:48
Didn't he name a dragon Herakles?

Nevermind... just checked. It was Hephaestus (the Ghost king). LOL

Anyhow, I can see some archmage creating such a device and thinking, "I need a name that makes people think 'taker of souls'... hmmmm". Since Charon (in D&D) is core/Planescape, we can assume he is pretty universally known (to those in the know). Thanks to D&D canon, he is no longer associated with just the Greek Pantheon.
George Krashos Posted - 16 Nov 2012 : 21:41:43
I think Salvatore just has a subliminal thing for Greek mythology. Artemis. Charon. When we see Herakles Do'Urden it will be confirmed.

-- George Krashos
BEAST Posted - 16 Nov 2012 : 16:54:33
Nope. The closest connection I can find is the idea that the sword can take people's souls, and KHArôN takes people's souls, as well.

But whereas KHArôn takes souls peacefully across the River Stux to HAIdês, Charon's Claw rather violently takes souls and sends them into oblivion.

As I understand the RW etymology of the name KHArôn, its root meant "fierce or flashing". That could possibly refer to the eyes set in the skull-shaped pommel of the sword, or possibly to the garish appearance of the weapon, as a whole.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000