Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Most complete maps of Toril?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Virago Posted - 04 Nov 2012 : 07:37:50
Here are the ones I'm aware of:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120607163507/forgottenrealms/images/2/23/Toril.jpg
http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/11515-darrenkitlors-abeir-toril-map-forgotten-realms.html
http://www.waterdeepmud.com/rp_articles/theworld.html
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/MarkusTay/Map%20Snippets/Abeir_Toril_Names2.jpg
http://www.patoumonde.com/world-maps.html

I'm currently playing in a D&D game where instead of playing a character, you play a nation (which basically makes it more like Civ set in FR). An interest has been raised in making our next game use all of Toril, instead of merely Faerun. So for that reason, I'm looking to see what other maps of all Toril are out there. Ideally there's a political one that had all the nations and no cities (think of a Risk board) in existence somewhere out there. The plethora of smaller maps would be sufficient for localized tactical purposes, as I understand no highly detailed map of the entire world exists, but a world map with political nation boundaries would still be useful for a broad stroke look of who controls what territories.

In my own search I first contacted Markustay after seeing his deviantart page and Candlekeep's maps section, only to find out about the tragic loss of home, and with it his work and tools. But he did mention that others might still have other copies of his maps that aren't posted on deviantart. I also realized that it looks like there has been considerable efforts to map out Toril before, and so here I am, looking for any other maps that might be out there. Pretty much anything that's a regional or world map would be useful to me.

If there's nothing more detailed out there, is there a way to get a higher resolution version of Pat's map or the edited Scholar's View of Toril (the bottom two links of the several I posted)? At 1100x550 they distort pretty easily when I try to blow it up to be large enough to fit on four sheets of paper, and the ideal map needs to become large enough to where political boundaries being drawn would be large enough to fit names inside them. If I could get a larger version it wouldn't be difficult to throw down ad hoc boundaries for nations/regions from there.

Thanks!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Patrakis Posted - 06 Nov 2012 : 05:04:50
Hello,

I have a higher resolution version of my map but it was too big to upload to my site. I'd be happy to send you a copy if you want.

I am aware of the lack of details on my version because i never finished what i started some years ago. I'm still motivated to finish it someday but it will have to wait a bit more before i find the time to come back to it.

Pat

quote:

If there's nothing more detailed out there, is there a way to get a higher resolution version of Pat's map or the edited Scholar's View of Toril (the bottom two links of the several I posted)?

Razz Posted - 06 Nov 2012 : 03:19:45
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I think what would be neat is to have 1 book that lays out a summary of each continent (other than Faerun). Give us an idea of what is there and what the cultures may look like. I'm not interested in full blown game material. I think a good lore/ecology book would be great. It would give enough info for DMs and authors to use.

We've all been asking for that for many many years; WotC refuses to divulge. I am starting to think they never will unless the Realms ends up in more loving hands in the future.
Razz Posted - 06 Nov 2012 : 03:17:56
Woah are those new lands legit? What is Aurune and The Land of Flying Monkeys? Where in a Realms source do they talk about those two?!
Caolin Posted - 05 Nov 2012 : 20:19:47
I think what would be neat is to have 1 book that lays out a summary of each continent (other than Faerun). Give us an idea of what is there and what the cultures may look like. I'm not interested in full blown game material. I think a good lore/ecology book would be great. It would give enough info for DMs and authors to use.
Markustay Posted - 05 Nov 2012 : 19:56:02
The problem is, when one company has to focus on multiple worlds, NONE of them can be done 100%.

For example, Xendrik should have been our Katashaka. If it had been, then D&D online would have been ours as well. They are currently operating with a far smaller group of people, and just don't have the resources to do anything perfectly. I sometimes get the feeling we've become dumping grounds for all the lore that wasn't good enough for Eberron. Nentir Vale is another place they've putting some great material into... stuff that could have gone into the mostly-ignored 4e Realms.

They need focus - if FR is going to be just one world amongst many, then it will never be as good as settings produced by single-world companies. Golarion is amazing (The Inner Sea Guide was my favorite Gencon purchase), and the reason for that is because Paizo isn't spreading themselves thin across several worlds.

Mini-rant over. Don't expect to see any lore outside of Faerūn proper - they just don't have the resources for it.
Caolin Posted - 05 Nov 2012 : 18:02:26
Not on topic, but man. Seeing these maps makes me wish that WoTC would explore these other parts of the globe. I know that Oriental Adventures and Zakhara were never originally part of the Realms. But I always like the 2E template of these mini campaign settings existing on one planet.

A man can dream.
Markustay Posted - 04 Nov 2012 : 17:53:31
I think you need to find a copy of The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas. Thats where many of those maps are from (including those ones the guy from the Cartographer's guild claims to have made). It shows the entire world, most of it in full detail (the campaign areas, at any rate).

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I really like the first one for its showing the poles (and how one of the continents is thereby covered in ice.
I've asked Ed about that ice, and a vast (southern) portion of it is seasonal, much like the Northwest Passage. There are times when it is possible to sail a ship from the sea of floating Ice to the Great Ice sea, but it is extremely dangerous and usually unsuccessful.

There are also periods of warm weather and also 'mini ice-ages' throughout FR's long history, so there were times when the ice was frozen solid for a century or more, and also when the sea routes weren't as treacherous as normal (and didn't freeze solid over the winter).

So the map with the icecap is either showing it in winter, or during one of those over-long cold spells. My assumption there is that most Torillians simply assume the icecap is always solid, and thats what the map represents. Very few explorers travel far enough north to discover the truth (and would only do so if they were there at the correct time).

I could try to explain FR's physics & meteorology scientifically (as a laymen), but RW physics don't really apply. It could be as simple as Toril warming with the rise of each sungod (since we know we have at least two that wax and wane). That could mean in the 4e era, with Amaunator ascending, the world is warming once again (although the receding of the Great Glacier just prior to 1e would indicate this is something that started a bit earlier, perhaps in preparation for Amaunator's return).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Nov 2012 : 14:38:13
quote:
Originally posted by Virago

I'm currently playing in a D&D game where instead of playing a character, you play a nation (which basically makes it more like Civ set in FR).

Sounds like you may want to look into the Birthright material, to me...
sleyvas Posted - 04 Nov 2012 : 10:33:09
I really like the first one for its showing the poles (and how one of the continents is thereby covered in ice.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 04 Nov 2012 : 08:45:25
thanks for the maps

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000