Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Evenhand family

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fw190a8 Posted - 06 Oct 2012 : 12:25:16
In the course of a bit of research, I am looking for any information on the so-called Evenhand family.

I notice that George Krashos mentions them in the FAQ at http://www.candlekeep.com/fr_faq.htm (4.15.2) although there is a question mark against the name, which suggests he is not sure.

I'd like any help you might be able to provide in locating (only) canon information on the Evenhand family, since the only canon source I can find is a passing mention on p.68 of Dungeon magazine 75, in an adventure called "Into the Nest of Vipers" written by Matthew G. Adkins.

I'm assuming there must be more somewhere, but does anyone know where?!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fw190a8 Posted - 07 Oct 2012 : 14:20:24
It's fantastic to be able to get to the bottom of this. Many thanks George!

Who knows? Maybe someone should do a Brian James and write a homebrew "Grand History of the Cormyr Lineage". Maybe that'd get WotC to publish? ;)
George Krashos Posted - 07 Oct 2012 : 14:14:43
Torst Evenhand did indeed die in 286 DR but his birth date is unrecorded. The rest of the information you set out is correct.

The Lineage is the source for all of this information and is a big write-up of all the monarchs of Cormyr (as well as other notable individuals tied to the monarchy) which many people have high hopes of WotC publishing one day. It's not "canon" in the sense that it has been published but it is THE go to lore source for the history of the realm.

-- George Krashos

fw190a8 Posted - 07 Oct 2012 : 14:05:33
Thanks, that's really helpful, and all credit to Bryon; as you point out, I didn't credit him in my original post. If I understand correctly:

Torst Evenhand is from Westgate and married Queen Besmra Obarskyr before she became queen (is his origin or the marriage in the source material anywhere?)

Torst Obarskyr (not the Evenhand chap) was the son of Besmra (GHotR p.76) and took his name from his father? This Torst had two brothers who were Gordroun and Keldroun.

If this is the case, and Torst Evenhand lived from 244-286 DR, is there a source for these dates? I was wondering if you could say a bit more about the early version of the Cormyr Lineage that you mention. Was this something written up and then not published, or was it contained in the earlier source material somewhere?

Sorry if this comes across a bit like an interrogation! That's not my intent at all, and any light you can shed is much appreciated.
George Krashos Posted - 07 Oct 2012 : 07:26:04
That list wasn't mine. It was done by a guy called Bryon Wischstadt - a longtime FR devotee in the old REALMS-L days.

The "?" is because the information Bryon was drawing from was an early version of the Cormyr Lineage, one that is not as fleshed out and complete as it is today thanks to the ministrations of others, Garen Thal in particular.

Torst Evenhand was the husband and Prince-Consort of Queen Besmra of Cormyr. He was a common-born individual from Westgate and married her before she came to the throne. When they returned to Cormyr, he was ennobled for the fact that he was married to a now-queen, but did not create a noble family of his own.

Their three sons all ruled as kings of Cormyr and their story is told in part in my GHotR vignette titled "A Day of Three Kings" (289 DR) on p.70 of that book.

The Evenhands may still exist in Westgate and possibly have a presence in Cormyr, but in my view would not be a noble family.

Hope that has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000