Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5e FR Designers/Writers: Who's on your list?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hawkins Posted - 09 Feb 2012 : 16:50:32
Ok, we keep talking about what we want and don't want and whatnot, but I really think that to get all that we want we more need to look at who will be designing the campaign setting or guide. I look forward to seeing other scribes' lists as well. My list is as follows:

Lead Designer/Writer: Ed Greenwood [and his beard]. I think that Ed is the essential key to bringing the most Realms fans back into the fold.

Key Current Designers/Writers:Brian R. and Matt James, Brian Cortijo, Erik Scott de Bie (though I am not sure how many Realmslore articles [if any] Erik has designed for DDI, I know he has some solid ideas as to how to move forward).

Key Old School Designers/Writers: Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Sean K Reynolds (yes, I know SKR has a job at Paizo, but it would be great if WotC would hire him specifically for this project), Steven Schend, Tom Costa.

Additional Lore & Mechanics Design: Eytan Bernstein (I am guessing that WotC will want at least a little "crunch" with all the "fluff," and he is the man I see to do it. Also, at least in the 3.x days, he showed some awesome lore work with the "Class Chronicles" series and Dragons of Faerûn.) Also Elaine Cunningham for the final say on all things elvish (and maybe some input for Waterdeep if she wishes) and Jeff Grubb for the final say on all things Cormyrean (sp?).

After the initial project is designed, then I would want them to hire some combination of the Erik, Krash, and the Brothers James to act as the "Continuity Lawyers" for all forth-going projects. Continuity in the 2e and early 3.x Realms is part of what made it so awesome, and I think that it is necessary to have all of the continuity issues (real or perceived) between editions to be worked out.

Anyways, these are the people I trust to create a better Realms for us all. If any combination of the people above (and I am sure that there are more that other scribes will detail) where to be the key designers (and given free reign to design) of new iteration of the Realms, I am confident that it will be something for me to invest currency in. I look forward to seeing what other scribes have to say.

EDIT: Lol. Changed "Ed Greenword" to "Ed Greenwood." Can't believe I missed that for so long.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hawkins Posted - 28 Mar 2012 : 21:21:56
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Well, for new blood, how about Shawn Merwin?

I am not familiar with his LFR work, so I do not really have an opinion either way on him.
gomez Posted - 28 Mar 2012 : 20:58:52
Well, for new blood, how about Shawn Merwin?
Hawkins Posted - 28 Mar 2012 : 20:06:00
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

All this E-talk is interesting, but sometimes I yearn for the old Monte days.

Monte Cook is busy devoting his time to creating the 5e rules set. Plus he was never a Realms designer. I love his work, but I think that we are better off with him focusing on what he is working on right now.
Ayrik Posted - 28 Mar 2012 : 19:44:01
All this E-talk is interesting, but sometimes I yearn for the old Monte days.
Tarlyn Posted - 28 Mar 2012 : 19:30:55
Ed Greenwood, Eric Boyd, Erik Scott de Bie and some new blood as the design team(Preferably with first names starting with the letter E to keep with the theme). I think Eric Boyd would probably make the best lead designer for that team.

I would also like to see Elaine Cunningham and Jeff Grub in there as consultants.
gomez Posted - 28 Mar 2012 : 19:28:52
I think the team benefits most if it includes a number of people that worked on the 3rd ed Realms en some that worked on the later products in the 4th ed Realms.
So that could include Ed, Brian James, Erik Scott de Bie, Steven Schend and Sean Reynolds.
I then hope that those will ask advice (secretly or not so) from most others that worked on such material.
And, well, if I *could* pick, which I can't, I would put myself on the list.
Hey, it's MY list. :P

Gomez
Therise Posted - 08 Mar 2012 : 21:54:53
(quickly un-lurking for 10 seconds)

Ed Greenwood, Brian Cortijo, and Erik Scott de Bie. That's my team.

(quickly goes back to lurk mode)

sleyvas Posted - 25 Feb 2012 : 19:36:15
Without a doubt, Eric Boyd and Steven Schend. I know I occasionally see responses from Steven. Anyone know what happened to Eric (maybe he's off chatting somewhere else... maybe he's just working hard on real life)?
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 23 Feb 2012 : 12:02:05
I totally agree with Hawkins and Sage dream team.
Matt James Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 16:02:42
Thanks guys, it sounds cliché, but I am really honored to be mentioned in your dream-team. It's good to know that one's work is looked upon kindly :)
Markustay Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 04:03:05
Shley it up, baby - the man's amazing. He captures the flavor of the 3e maps, and yet manages to update and improve upon them.

I want at least one 'old school' map in the campaign guide - you know, the kind with individual trees for forests, buildings representing settlements, 'shadows' below terrain features, etc, but done with Mike Shley's more updated palette.
Dark Wizard Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 03:04:55
Don't forget the Map!

I just received a shipment from Paizo, which included three-fourths of the Forgotten Realms 3e poster map for the old Dragon Magazine. I have the other quadrant already. I put them together on my living room floor just to look at it. Seeing them as a whole is simply stunning, a gorgeous map. I pulled out the map from Eberron 3e and 4E, both very lovely. The 4E FR map, not so much.

I would like to see a return to the previous edition map style, or go with Mike Schley and the beautiful style he uses for the DDI article maps he made for FR regions (Moonshae/Sarifal, Cormyr, Vaasa).

Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 13 Feb 2012 : 03:48:51
I forgot to add Phil Athans to my list. Can't do a dream team without him on the ticket.
Markustay Posted - 13 Feb 2012 : 02:38:48
Interesting about Jaquays. While trying to figure out what you were getting at, I Googled.. her? And wound-up finding a site talking about Space Opera, a game I helped playtest back in the day.

Brought back some good memories. Thanks for that.
Jakk Posted - 12 Feb 2012 : 22:18:47
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Paul was the name used earlier, now she is Jennell. And best wishes to her with that. As far as I know The Savage Frontier was mostly based of a Dragonquest module he had written but that was cancelled. The Uthgar clans can also be found in the newest version of Griffin Mountain for Runequest. As much as I like the book I still wonder how Eds original Savage Frontier is.

Many thanks for the update, Jorkens. And I had asked Ed about the ruins of Ascore, which for me is the focal point of the region (perhaps just because it's so darned strange a place), and the aforementioned pyramids are from Ed's original notes. "Origins and purpose still unrevealed," as he said in his reply.

Anyway, I'm obviously hoping that we see Ed's book at the end of the year become something more than a one-shot. In any case, I won't be buying anything sight unseen any more, unless it's from Paizo.
Markustay Posted - 12 Feb 2012 : 17:07:26
Yup - the Uthgardt seem to have some strange affinity for 'accidentally' falling through gates. Then again, so did groups of Northmen. It seems to be a 'barbarian thing'.

Hmmmmm... I think I may have stumbled upon one of those 'deeper secrets'. Maybe it isn't just demiplanes that reach into other worlds and steal groups of folk.

I'm going to have to re-tweak some of my fey theories now, but this isn't the thread for it. Amazing, the places you find fodder for lore.
Jorkens Posted - 11 Feb 2012 : 08:40:53
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

Well, this will make almost everyone shake their head. As my dream is back to the old days I prefer to include writers I really like, no matter how little or much Realms knowledge they have. And yes I know this is extremely unrealistic.

Ed as chief and god of everything. Steve Perrin, Jennell Jaquays and Frank Mentzer as chief helpers. Steven Schend is also inn of course. If more people are needed Zeb Cook and Aaron Allston would be nice.

You know what; let’s throw Ken St. Andre and Larry DiTillio in there while we are at it.

Ah, hell I want to be there too.

[Bold added]

Are you talking about Paul Jaquays, Jorkens? I loved The Savage Frontier as well, but apparently much of it came from Ed's original notes (including those thirteen mysterious five-sided pyramids in the ruins of Ascore that have been driving me nuts since I originally read the product when it was first released). And I'm pleased to see Ken St. Andre mentioned; Tunnels and Trolls was the game that got me into role-playing, way back in 1984. By 1985 I was playing "red box" D&D, and by 1986 I was playing 1st edition AD&D.

Paul was the name used earlier, now she is Jennell. And best wishes to her with that. As far as I know The Savage Frontier was mostly based of a Dragonquest module he had written but that was cancelled. The Uthgar clans can also be found in the newest version of Griffin Mountain for Runequest. As much as I like the book I still wonder how Eds original Savage Frontier is.
Jakk Posted - 11 Feb 2012 : 01:23:39
quote:

Well, this will make almost everyone shake their head. As my dream is back to the old days I prefer to include writers I really like, no matter how little or much Realms knowledge they have. And yes I know this is extremely unrealistic.

Ed as chief and god of everything. Steve Perrin, Jennell Jaquays and Frank Mentzer as chief helpers. Steven Schend is also inn of course. If more people are needed Zeb Cook and Aaron Allston would be nice.

You know what; let’s throw Ken St. Andre and Larry DiTillio in there while we are at it.

[Bold added]

Are you talking about Paul Jaquays, Jorkens? I loved The Savage Frontier as well, but apparently much of it came from Ed's original notes (including those thirteen mysterious five-sided pyramids in the ruins of Ascore that have been driving me nuts since I originally read the product when it was first released). And I'm pleased to see Ken St. Andre mentioned; Tunnels and Trolls was the game that got me into role-playing, way back in 1984. By 1985 I was playing "red box" D&D, and by 1986 I was playing 1st edition AD&D.
Quale Posted - 10 Feb 2012 : 13:43:17
FR designers: Boyd, James, Grubb

Other designers: mostly Planescape, Cook, Baur, Jacobs, Sargent
Jorkens Posted - 10 Feb 2012 : 11:37:30

Jakk Posted - 10 Feb 2012 : 02:18:35
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My list would include most of the same people, but would also add Steven Schend and Jeff Grubb.

I have to concur... and I also agree with Jeremy and Mark that Ed should continue to be the Realmslore factory that he is, and I would suggest Brian Cortijo or George Krashos to take the Lead Designer role. Anyway, we'll see what WotC actually does... hopefully they consider our recommendations very carefully.
The Sage Posted - 10 Feb 2012 : 01:21:40
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Ok, we keep talking about what we want and don't want and whatnot, but I really think that to get all that we want we more need to look at who will be designing the campaign setting or guide. I look forward to seeing other scribes' lists as well. My list is as follows:

Lead Designer/Writer: Ed Greenword [and his beard]. I think that Ed is the essential key to bringing the most Realms fans back into the fold.

Key Current Designers/Writers: Brian R. and Matt James, Brian Cortijo, Erik Scott de Bie (though I am not sure how many Realmslore articles [if any] Erik has designed for DDI, I know he has some solid ideas as to how to move forward).

Key Old School Designers/Writers: Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Sean K Reynolds (yes, I know SKR has a job at Paizo, but it would be great if WotC would hire him specifically for this project)

Additional Lore & Mechanics Design: Eytan Bernstein (I am guessing that WotC will want at least a little "crunch" with all the "fluff," and he is the man I see to do it. Also, at least in the 3.x days, he showed some awesome lore work with the "Class Chronicles" series and Dragons of Faerûn.)

After the initial project is designed, then I would want them to hire some combination of the Erik, Krash, and the Brothers James to act as the "Continuity Lawyers" for all forth-going projects. Continuity in the 2e and early 3.x Realms is part of what made it so awesome, and I think that it is necessary to have all of the continuity issues (real or perceived) between editions to be worked out.

Anyways, these are the people I trust to create a better Realms for us all. If any combination of the people above (and I am sure that there are more that other scribes will detail) where to be the key designers (and given free reign to design) of new iteration of the Realms, I am confident that it will be something for me to invest currency in. I look forward to seeing what other scribes have to say.

EDIT: Minor formatting issues.

The only additions I would make to the Key Old School category would be Steven Schend, Jeff Grubb, Tom Costa, and Elaine Cunningham.
Ayrik Posted - 10 Feb 2012 : 00:03:22
Let us not forget Elaine Cunningham, who's written more definitive material about those pesky elves than anyone else. And Christopher Rowe, who hasn't contributed much but has impressed me nonetheless.
Dark Wizard Posted - 09 Feb 2012 : 23:59:11
quote:
Originally posted by Tamsar

quote:

My list would include most of the same people, but would also add Steven Schend and Jeff Grubb.

^^ This (also including the designers Hawkins mentions). Would be halcyon days for me, my favourite time (material wise) of the realms.

Indeed.

Steven Schend has always maintained a presence here. He's a fan as much as he is an author and designer.

Jeff Grubb's recent tabletop RPG setting design work and lore crafting remains top notch as far as I can tell.

Another name I hope makes some positive influence on WotC's approach to settings is Monte Cook himself. Not specifically on the lore side of things, but more as a managing director or overall product supervisor. In particular the scale of his Ptolus book could hold great potential if applied to the Realms. Even if its only a one-off for Waterdeep or Cormyr as a collector's edition "textbook". I'd even settle for a Ptolus size book for the whole setting, even with minimized impact Spellplague (deal breaker would be if they increased the Spellplague-ness).

It could be in crisp black and white to keep cost down, maybe with the middle containing a full-color "Grand Tour" of the book topic. Fold-out poster map attached at the back of course.
Tamsar Posted - 09 Feb 2012 : 22:05:40
quote:

^^ This (also including the designers Hawkins mentions). Would be halcyon days for me, my favourite time (material wise) of the realms.
Hawkins Posted - 09 Feb 2012 : 20:01:20
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

I think the list is (appropriately) geared towards designers or authors with design credits like Erik (by default designers) since this is about a theoretical design team for 5E.

Novel authors without design experience may or may not be a good fit for this.

@DW Correct.
@MrHedgehog Lol, everyone in Key Current Designers/Writers category is "new" for me since they did not have a lot of impact on the lore pre 4e. Anyways, if you have a different list, then please list them. That is what this scroll is for.

What I eventually hope for is that if we here at the 'Keep cannot present a united front on what direction to take the Realms, then maybe we can at least present an united front as to who we trust in designing the next iteration of the Realms.
Dark Wizard Posted - 09 Feb 2012 : 19:45:26
I think the list is (appropriately) geared towards designers or authors with design credits like Erik (by default designers) since this is about a theoretical design team for 5E.

Novel authors without design experience may or may not be a good fit for this.
MrHedgehog Posted - 09 Feb 2012 : 19:04:07
Why no one new D: ? I think I would like Lisa Smedman.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Feb 2012 : 18:21:26
Markustay Posted - 09 Feb 2012 : 17:46:15
Ed better serves us chained to his desk, churning out lore (and dispensing advice to designers who are smart enough to run things past him).

I'd have a slightly different list then Hawkins, but thats all well and good. A lot of people I would choose are working 'elsewhere' now (I thought much of the Dragon magazine material in 3e was superior to the WotC stuff), and we have to play the hand we're dealt (or go sit at a different table).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000