Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Fey'ri in Fourth: Change Shape or Flight

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Foxhelm Posted - 04 Sep 2010 : 01:34:51
Just wonder what you would use in a home brew for Fey'ri. The lore is they are descended mostly from Succubus breeding. The two major powers from the succubus seem to be flight and changing shape.

The question is do you have them begin with shapeshifting and then move on to flying by way of feats or Paragon Paths... or do the vice versa? You have to choose one.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 19 Jan 2011 : 01:45:19
@ Erik: I think the above homebrew is juat as balanced as, say, the Eladrin's fey step - 5 square teleport racial power. I guess to keep it aligned with other multiple racial-power races, like the Drow, you should have to pick one or the other and not access to both.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 18 Jan 2011 : 20:19:35
Don't particularly care for 4th version, but- I voted change shape. More useful, IMO.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Jan 2011 : 19:15:27
For mechanical reasons, change shape, because easy flight is extremely unbalancing.

For flavor reason, I always preferred some Fey'ri having wings and some not. It's quite possible the ones that survived into the 4e FR (or have been born since the breakout) don't have wings, because they're a lesser breed than their betters. I'd prefer to see strengthening your bloodline as a paragon path/feat progression sort of thing, like you can do with dragonborn (who have a paragon path or two that gives you wings) or tieflings.

Addendum: There is a fey'ri in my novel Downshadow, and she does not have wings. But she DEFINITELY has change shape--you don't get a good look at her true form until basically the end of the book.

Cheers
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 21:31:01
Flight
GRYPHON Posted - 04 Sep 2010 : 15:17:00
Change shape...
Markustay Posted - 04 Sep 2010 : 04:45:44
Change shape, because first they have to 'grow' the wings via shapechange, before they can learn to use them. Just my opinion, of course.

Plus shape-shifting is also something Fey are known for (think Lythari), so it would be something they can get from both sides.
Brimstone Posted - 04 Sep 2010 : 03:38:34
Voted change shape.

If a both of them option was on the poll, I would have picked that one.

Diffan Posted - 04 Sep 2010 : 03:24:57
I voted fly namely because they do alot of it. BUT I would like to have both honestly. I went back 5 pages or so but couldn't find the link so I'll just re-post it here. This is someone's homebrew take on Fey'ri using 4E stats. Guy's name was Barthalas and I feel its a really good version too! (note: I've also changed the Ability scores to keep in current line of other 4E products).

Fey’ri
Average Height: 5' 4" - 6' 0"
Average Weight: 130 - 170 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity; +2 Intelligence or +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Elven, Common
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Arcana
Ancestral Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the longsword.
Dual Heritage: You can take feats that have either eladrin or tiefling as a prerequisite (as well as those specifically for fey’ri), as long as you meet any other requirements.
Trance: Rather than sleep, fey'ri enter a meditative state known as trance. You need to spend 4 hours in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from taking a 6-hour extended rest. While in a trance, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
Daemontouched: Once per encounter, you can use either the Change Shape or Flight power.

Change Shape
Fey’ri Racial Power
You alter your form to look like some other humanoid.
Encounter * Polymorph
Minor Action; Personal
Effect: You can alter your physical form to take on the appearance of any Medium humanoid.

Flight
Fey’ri Racial Power
You spread your bat like wings and take to the skies.
Encounter * Move Action
Effect: you gain fly 6 (clumsy), if you are not standing on solid ground at the end of your movement you glide to the ground without taking damage.

Racial Feats

Born Flyer
Prerequisite: Paragon, Fey'ri, Flight racial power
Benefit: You may use your Flight power as an at-will ability

Improved Flight
Prerequisite: Paragon, Fey’ri, Flight racial power
Benefit: Your maneuverability while flying is improved by one category
IngoDjan Posted - 04 Sep 2010 : 02:00:32
Of course Change Shape!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000