Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Paul S. Kemp has ended his relationship with WotC

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 03 Nov 2009 : 22:04:22
From his Livejournal blog:

quote:
Normally, I would not write anything about this, but I feel obliged to let those of you awaiting the release of Godborn know that I have ended my relationship with Wizards of the Coast. As a result, I will not be writing Godborn and my contribution to the Forgotten Realms will end with The Twilight War. I sincerely apologize to those of you who were awaiting The Cycle of Night.

All that happened here is that Wizards made a decision that they thought was appropriate (and was, in fact, based on perfectly valid reasons), but that decision conflicted with what I thought was appropriate. We tried to resolve matters in good faith, but it just wasn't to be. It's unfortunate, but it goes that way sometimes. And that's all I'll have to say about it so please don't ask for further details.

I remain grateful to Wizards for publishing my novels, and in particular have nothing but the highest of praise for my editor, Phil Athans. Honestly, my primary regret here is that I feel like I've let a lot of you down. So again, please accept my apologies if you were one of those awaiting Godborn.

'Tis a sad day since I was truly looking forward to Godborn and his new trilogy.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
George Krashos Posted - 02 Jun 2010 : 05:45:48
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Which makes me wonder if part of the initial problem was some sort of 'exclusivity' contract with WotC.

But we will never know, will we?

No we won't, but I have a feeling that it may have something to do with WotC simply being uncompetitive in terms of $$$.

That's not based on anything to do with the esteemed Mr Kemp but I know that a couple of years ago WotC was definitely trying to lowball fiction writers on book rates. I'm thinking that their attitude in that regard is unlikely to have changed in the meantime.

-- George Krashos
Brimstone Posted - 01 Jun 2010 : 23:17:40
I am glad the novels are back on.

I found Paul's STAR WARS novel Crosscurrent very good.
Markustay Posted - 01 Jun 2010 : 23:02:05
Ahhh, vitriol... once one of my favorite fonts to sip from...

Congratulations, Mr. Kemp - if you recall I recommended this very move a year ago.

No negativity here - ALL positivity (is that even a word?). I had said after reading his two series that I thought he should no longer be writing 'game novels' - his writing quality definitely plants him firmly in the mainstream, where he belongs.

Not that there is anything wrong with folks who write novels based on games, but there is a point wherein I would think every author would like to cross that line from "making a living" to 'literature'. I think Paul has the talent to do so.

Edit: I guess I should have read through the entire thread before making my commentary. Whatever, I wish him the best.

Edit2:
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

and now he is writing a Golarion novel, all the more reason to make the switch

Which makes me wonder if part of the initial problem was some sort of 'exclusivity' contract with WotC.

But we will never know, will we?
Firestorm Posted - 24 Apr 2010 : 02:33:21
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Here is the Link to Paul's Blog and what he said about it:

http://paulskemp.livejournal.com/273952.html

My head just exploded!!!!

i was just rereading the Erevis Cale trilogy today and now I see this most excellent news!!!!!!1
MerrikCale Posted - 26 Mar 2010 : 03:36:55
and now he is writing a Golarion novel, all the more reason to make the switch
Uzzy Posted - 08 Mar 2010 : 10:31:58
Heh, pretty much the only decent Realms related news since Grand History came out.
Jakk Posted - 08 Mar 2010 : 06:29:42
I'm not going to speculate here on why they reversed their decision, but I have some pretty good ideas involving a large body of loyal readers... okay, so I'm not going to speculate any further.

This. Is. Very. Good. News. Best Realmsian news I've had since learning about the Grand History of the Realms, in fact.
The Red Walker Posted - 05 Mar 2010 : 21:32:11
Here is the Link to Paul's Blog and what he said about it:

http://paulskemp.livejournal.com/273952.html
The Red Walker Posted - 05 Mar 2010 : 21:30:34
quote:
Originally posted by Eye of Hores-Re

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I too like 4e as a game system.

The regrets are, for me, the extreme jump in time with so many wonderful stories left untold. It has nothing to do with the game system any longer.

I too am sad to see Mr Kemp moving on. Good luck to you sir.
Dalor, I think what you said here is really what it comes down to for me. I have never played 4e. But the discontinuation of our favorite stories and characters is what hurts the most. I am still a little behind in my FR novels. (a little) Is there a list of the novels here with a timeline attached? I think that would be a wonderful thing. But I understand that would require a lot of work.

Then you should be pleased to hear the the Book is back on and Paul is once again with WOTC!
Eye of Horus-Re Posted - 05 Mar 2010 : 20:55:37
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The regrets are, for me, the extreme jump in time with so many wonderful stories left untold. It has nothing to do with the game system any longer.

I too am sad to see Mr Kemp moving on. Good luck to you sir.
Dalor, I think what you said here is really what it comes down to for me. I have never played 4e. But the discontinuation of our favorite stories and characters is what hurts the most. I am still a little behind in my FR novels. (a little) Is there a list of the novels here with a timeline attached? I think that would be a wonderful thing. But I understand that would require a lot of work.
The Red Walker Posted - 27 Jan 2010 : 14:59:28
It could have even been something asked of Paul that most fans would have liked, but he didn't feel right with....who knows......

But it wouldn't be to far of a stretch to imagine someone requesting Cale be brought back because of his popularity and also easy to see Paul politley declining....we just don't know what the disagreement was
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jan 2010 : 23:30:39
Indeed. We don't know any of the details of what happened, so it's quite unfair to go casting blame on anyone.
The Red Walker Posted - 26 Jan 2010 : 13:46:58
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

Sad news that Paul S. Kemp has ended with Wotc and i put the blame on WotC and only on them....they continue the destruction with their desicions!!!

I understand your feelings, but Paul pretty much said it was mutual.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 26 Jan 2010 : 12:32:36
Sad news that Paul S. Kemp has ended with Wotc and i put the blame on WotC and only on them....they continue the destruction with their desicions!!!
The Sage Posted - 12 Jan 2010 : 23:30:54
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I like 4E.

And for various reasons I won't get into here, I don't like it.

But on that note, we probably shouldn't derail this thread by stating membership within the 4e fanclub or the polar opposite.

Good point. Best to avoid that altogether!

Sage and Wooly, I am wondering if this scroll hasnt outlived its usefullness and is in danger of igniting??

I don't think that's necessary right now. Since both Wooly and myself made it clear that my intention wasn't to ignite further debate, the negative comments seemed to have dropped off.

Rest assured, however, that I will be keeping an eye on any further developments.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jan 2010 : 23:25:56
quote:

Sage and Wooly, I am wondering if this scroll hasnt outlived its usefullness and is in danger of igniting??

As long as we get back to the original topic, I think it's fine. We obviously don't need another edition debate, but it's a fact that Mr. Kemp has a lot of fans. This thread is a good place for them to express their feelings on the issue of him separating from WotC.
The Red Walker Posted - 12 Jan 2010 : 16:38:49
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:

I like 4E.

But on that note, we probably shouldn't derail this thread by stating membership within the 4e fanclub or the polar opposite.

Good point. Best to avoid that altogether!

Shemmy Posted - 12 Jan 2010 : 01:39:14
quote:

I like 4E.

Dalor Darden Posted - 11 Jan 2010 : 21:50:47

Alisttair Posted - 11 Jan 2010 : 17:26:48
I like 4E.
The Sage Posted - 11 Jan 2010 : 00:25:37
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
it would also further enflame the outside criticisms about this site being a bastion for the anti-4e FR league.

Sage, you shouldn't have given it a name. Now they have a banner to rally around!

We. Are. The Anti-4e League!!!

While I can appreciate the humour, I must also agree with Wooly. My intention above was not to specifically assign such thoughts to those who, for whatever reason, may have a degree of dislike for the 4e Realms. I was simply attempting to underline the severity of problems caused by unrestrained debate on the subject.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jan 2010 : 21:39:06
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

quote:
it would also further enflame the outside criticisms about this site being a bastion for the anti-4e FR league.

Sage, you shouldn't have given it a name. Now they have a banner to rally around!

Let's not encourage this idea, please. It's already far too prevalent, given how vocal some of the anti-4E have been in the past.
Arion Elenim Posted - 10 Jan 2010 : 21:06:00
quote:

dwarvenranger Posted - 08 Jan 2010 : 17:20:18
Well bugger. Still ya got to respect a man who sticks to his guns.
SirUrza Posted - 11 Dec 2009 : 19:22:20
Here's hoping Mr Kemp writes some Pathfinder fiction.
The Sage Posted - 29 Nov 2009 : 06:06:32
Ah, Understood.

As I said, I'd imagined you'd offered the comment in jest.

Let's move on.
althen artren Posted - 29 Nov 2009 : 05:59:04
Yes, indeed sir.
My pardons. Was trying to
throw in a moment of levity in
a tense situation.

The site has the feel of a pressure
cooker. I think a way to blow off
the steam is getting to be necessary.
Just my opinion.
The Sage Posted - 29 Nov 2009 : 05:04:39
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

So this is most likely in bad taste:

Can we start a pool on the next author to go?

Given the emoticon, I'll assume you meant this in sarcastic jest.

Regardless, I don't think such a scroll would be useful here at Candlekeep. And while I agree that it is bad taste, it would also further enflame the outside criticisms about this site being a bastion for the anti-4e FR league.

I will not have it!
Dark Wizard Posted - 29 Nov 2009 : 04:07:55
I'd rather start a pool on who the next FR author will be. Some new blood will pick up the slack.

Anyway, Paul S. Kemp's departure is a loss for the Realms. I'm sure with his talent and now copious experience he will do well in other settings and possibly in his own original works someday, the sooner the better.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Nov 2009 : 04:06:15
Not only is that in bad taste, it's something that I'm going to officially discourage right now. I see any threads like that, they're getting deleted.

There's already enough negativity around; speculation like that would only encourage it. And speculation like that would also be something that most authors would not want to see.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000