Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Iyraclea?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Markustay Posted - 03 Aug 2008 : 19:38:35
Okay, a day or two ago I wrote a bunch of lore revolving around the Warlock Knights of Vassa and posted it at the WotC. Just to give it some tie-in to the current (past?) realms, I included a little bit about Irayclea, the mistress of the Great Glacier, whom I read about in the FRCS Vassa entry.

Today I wanted to flesh things out a bit more so I did a search of her name, and guess where it lead me? Here!!! To the book-club section...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!

So an author killed her off? Did they leave us anything from the FRCS to play with, or was it really written just for them to use, as I suspect?

Stuff like this just pisses me off NO END.

Anyhow, its hard to get a clear picture without reading the novels, and all I got was that she was Halruaan, had sex with some guy named Pavel, went down easy, and made a deal with Sammaster...

Anyone want to give the complete picture, so I can at least salvage what I wrote?

I could always make her a Lich....
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Daviot Posted - 03 Sep 2008 : 06:13:02
I had read the Perilous Gateways article, and had read the stats write-up in the Epic Level book, but now the scribe's mental gears are clicking and clacking.

And since my group's Shared Realms of 1373 involved a rather unreliable reality-altering artifact-staff (one of the Imaskarcana), who's to say she was killed in 1373?

And as DM, I hereby snag yon plot thread to weave into my 1370 campaign of adventuring Oghman scholar-priests. Huzzahs!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 18:47:46
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

anyway, is it possible that if it is a title, that it is given as a chosen of auril??

Well, that's what I was thinking. That said, one can do what one wants with the idea.
Markustay Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 17:36:21
The name does seem familiar to me too, Kuje, before I read (and used) her entry from the FRCS, so I would hazard to guess that there was another (brief) appearance by her in earlier lore.

I like the idea of their being more then one Iyraclea, and I also think it would be more like the Dread Pirate Roberts then a title given (by her god?).

More like the Green Goblin thing from Marvel Comics - someone finds her lair (or perhaps even kills her), takes her stuff, and adopts the name.

Could even be like a Tan Chin-style Lich thing, wherein her spirit occupies the next sentient that stumbles upon her resting place (the site where she was last destroyed). That would work, because we could get a 'new' Iyraclea every so often, and yet still have the same old powerful one as well. If that were the case, I would make this a gift of Auril (perhaps a Auril-version of Chosen-hood?), as a way of granting her Chosen mortality. Like ice, you can destroy it, but it will reform with the next bitter cold.
Kuje Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 17:20:51
Ah, no worries. :)

But thinking about it, think that reference was just a throw away reference that was a rumor or one of the old Current Clack. (I miss those. :()

quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

I just picked on the first wise man I could find.

Na-Gang Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 17:15:42
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Not sure why you asked me that cause I never said she was mentioned in sourcebooks before the FRCS/ELH. :) But I dimely recall references to her in another sourcebook from 1e or 2e. Can't recall the reference though.

I just picked on the first wise man I could find.
Kuje Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 17:11:15
Not sure why you asked me that cause I never said she was mentioned in sourcebooks before the FRCS/ELH. :) But I dimely recall references to her in another sourcebook from 1e or 2e. Can't recall the reference though.

quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

She was killed off in the Rogue Dragons trilogy, so yes, she played a part in novels that came out after the FRCS and Epic Handbook.

But where (if anywhere) had she appeared before the FRCS and the ELH?

Na-Gang Posted - 06 Aug 2008 : 15:21:32
quote:

She was killed off in the Rogue Dragons trilogy, so yes, she played a part in novels that came out after the FRCS and Epic Handbook.

But where (if anywhere) had she appeared before the FRCS and the ELH?
sfdragon Posted - 05 Aug 2008 : 10:16:09
my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father prepare to die!!!!

anyway, is it possible that if it is a title, that it is given as a chosen of auril??
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 18:19:30
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I've decided to think of "Iyraclea" as a title--makes more sense to me that way. For example, in The Ruin she is mentioned as being about 300 years old, but the GHotR has entries about Iyraclea that predate that. So, there could be more than one Iyraclea (in my opinion).

Heh, she's the Dread Pirate Roberts.

LOL, yeah, something to that effect.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 18:14:27
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I've decided to think of "Iyraclea" as a title--makes more sense to me that way. For example, in The Ruin she is mentioned as being about 300 years old, but the GHotR has entries about Iyraclea that predate that. So, there could be more than one Iyraclea (in my opinion).

Heh, she's the Dread Pirate Roberts.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 18:04:21
khorne Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 12:17:18
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Markustay

As I said, it's been so long since I read that trilogy but all I recall, for sure, is that she was killed.

She got destroyed fighting a really powerful white dracolich called Zethrindor.
Na-Gang Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 07:54:11
Markustay (and anyone else who was interested), if you don't have the ELH and can't find her anywhere online let me know and I'll post or message you her 3E stats.
Markustay Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 06:33:38
Of course not... I already brought her back.

She was much to cool to just kill-off as a plot-device.

Edit: Just noticed THO's response - must have missed it the first time through - thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Excellent trilogy bTW
I may have to look into it...

Someday...

Right now I have no desire to read any FR novels, and I tend to avoid ANY that center around dragons, Elves, or Harpers.

Yeah... I know... I just eliminated about 75% of Realms fiction that way.
Brian R. James Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 06:23:49
You haven't seen the last of Iyraclea...
scererar Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 05:16:57
Excellent trilogy bTW
Skeptic Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 05:14:21

May I remind you that RLB is probably reading those posts ?
Chosen of Bane Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 04:46:18
It has also been a long time since I've read this trilogy but if I remember correctly Iryaclea didn't even survive long enough to die in the climactic mythal-unraveling.

I remember being upset that she was more of a tool to show the power of a specific Dracolich. Kind of like a "hey look, that Dracolich just crushed an iconic epic character". You know, so the protagonists would look extra special when they bested said Dracolich.
Markustay Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 03:43:46
Okay, I knew the stuff about Sammaster and the Dracorage Mythal.

I thought you were talking about some Mythal-clad city blowing-up that I never heard about - my bad.

Not having read the series (and yes, I'm pretty behind in my FR reading), I was unaware of the details surrounding the story, or of Iyraclea's involvment.

Thats Okay - that makes her new 'condition' even more interesting for what I have in mind.
Kuje Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 02:58:32
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What Mythal exploded, killing her and Sammaster?

The Dragon Mythal that Sammy was using to trigger the Dragon Rage. It was created centuries ago by the elves to control the dragons during the time of the Dragons. Sammy took control of it, the party of adventurers stopped him.

That trilogy took place long before Lady Pen, probably way back in the early/mid 2k's since Dragons of Faerun came out in 2006.

As I said, it's been so long since I read that trilogy but all I recall, for sure, is that she was killed.
The Hooded One Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 02:56:44
Iyraclea was one of Ed's original "Secrets of the Realms" (detailed in a long-ago internal TSR source document that was never for public distribution). She was the reason some glaciers protruded so far south (before TSR "rolled them back" to put Vaasa and Damara into the Realms for the Bloodstone modules and the later Bob Salvatore sourcebook). As far as I know, the Epic Level Handbook was her only publicly printed canon appearance, but we players in Ed's home campaign first heard of her decades ago.
And, yes, too many recent Realms novels have "used up" loose ends (not the fault of the authors, mind you, who need to get permission from editors to use Realms elements, or even are given the elements and told to build a plot - - for which they will subsequently need to get approval - - around them).
In the old days, Jeff Grubb and later Steven Schend and Eric Boyd always religiously followed Ed's guideline: "For every one of my loose ends you tie up or explain, create three new ones and weave them into the Realms, to keep it alive and interesting."
Pity that guideline somehow gotten forgotten or repudiated, since.
Sigh.
love to all,
THO
Markustay Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 02:15:56
Thanks for the info - I knew about the WotC article, but I had no idea she appeared in the epic book.

From what I gathered from the Book thread, she died fighting a Dracolich - are you saying thats incorrect?

What Mythal exploded, killing her and Sammaster?

I think I'm going to need to give her a few contingencies and an awaiting phylactory.

I stopped reading the novels when I heard about the events of the Lady penitent series (which, thankfully, I did not read). I think I'll just finish up the second Everis cale series and that will be it for me.

Oh... and anything by Ed or Schend.

Why do they bother putting plothooks in, if they are going to use every single one for novels?
monknwildcat Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 01:59:12
My sincere apologies, Kuje. You explained. I overlooked the last part of your post.

Thanks, Kuje!
Kuje Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 01:12:35
Like I said, it has been years but if I recall right, the main character/party of the trilogy kills her during battle before the Dragon Mythal explodes. Some of the events of that trilogy are summerized in Dragons of Faerun on page 9 to 10.

quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Kuje: May I ask how she died? Does a DM have a way to revive her?

Thanks, guys!

monknwildcat Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 00:11:48
Na-Gang: Awesome work!

Kuje: May I ask how she died? Does a DM have a way to revive her?

Thanks, guys!
Kuje Posted - 04 Aug 2008 : 00:04:26

But it's been many years since I read that trilogy. If I recall right, she exploded along with the Mythal and Sammy.
Na-Gang Posted - 03 Aug 2008 : 23:58:36
I also found this on the WotC website: :http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020619x
Na-Gang Posted - 03 Aug 2008 : 23:53:13
Iyraclea was fully statted in the 3E Epic Level Handbook, along with the following (although vague) info:

The self-styled Ice Queen, Iyraclea lives in or beneath a castle of sculpted ice somewhere in the northern reaches of the Great Glacier. She is a mighty cleric of Auril, and embodies the Frostmaiden's fury in her relentless assaults on the people of Sossal. She is served by gelugons, called the Icy Claws of Iyraclea.

Iyraclea is said to occasionally use spells to kidnap young, vigorous wizards from Sossal and even the southern lands of Vaasa and Damara. Some speculate that she needs their life essences to prolong her own, for she does seem to be very long-lived. Perhaps she's assembling a force of wizards loyal to her or coerced into her service, or somehow channeling their spell power to extend the Great Glacier's reach once again into the Cold Lands.

Iyraclea is known for her fearsome epic spells, bearing such names as icerazor, icefist, and coldclaws.

Those three named epic spells are also statted in that book. Other than the FRCS and the ELH I'm not aware of anywhere else that she's appeared. Did she originally feature in a novel?
monknwildcat Posted - 03 Aug 2008 : 22:50:54
Markustay, I didn't know she bit the bullet, either. Perhaps reports of her death have been exaggerated?

I felt similarly when Sarya Dlardrageth was clearly exterminated instead of left open; cured me of my canon fixation...which has helped prepare me for 4E FR.

What source details I-lady's demise?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000