Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fly

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
costaran Posted - 13 Apr 2005 : 19:23:47
If a character has natural wings, does it lose dex modifier to AC while flying? Does flying give any advantages in combat?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arivia Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 12:33:12
quote:
Originally posted by Rudar Dimble

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Page 151 of the PHB states that the +1 to attack is only given for melee attacks. No bonus for ranged attacks. So in order for the flying creature to get this bonus they would have to be flying directly above the opponent but within melee reach.

So that takes away the advantage of staying out of reach...

Unless you use reach weapons or attacks, yes.
Rudar Dimble Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 12:23:39
quote:

Page 151 of the PHB states that the +1 to attack is only given for melee attacks. No bonus for ranged attacks. So in order for the flying creature to get this bonus they would have to be flying directly above the opponent but within melee reach.

So that takes away the advantage of staying out of reach...
Chosen of Bane Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 11:38:16
Rudar Dimble Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 08:38:02
quote:

The character does not lose teh Dex modifier to AC. The advantage in combat other than the ability to stay out of harms way is the +1 to attack for being on higher 'ground'.

Is this only for melee attacks, or also for ranged attacks?
Chosen of Bane Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 01:13:24
The character does not lose teh Dex modifier to AC. The advantage in combat other than the ability to stay out of harms way is the +1 to attack for being on higher 'ground'.
Bookwyrm Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 21:19:59
There are some advantages; most notably, you can keep out of reach of certain enemies and pelter them with arrows, bullets, bolts, or spells.

My psychic warrior character's planing on taking Expanded Knowledge next level to gain psionic fly. He's strongly focused towards ranged attacks with his bow, and I want to keep him out of reach. Of course, our DM will probably adjust, but we'll see.
Shadovar Posted - 14 Apr 2005 : 10:23:49
True, there are sure disavantages to flying as it well makes teh flying target a big obvious target, while flying skillfully may allow the flyer to avoid being hit by arrows/crossbow bolts and certain non-tracking magic missiles. But proper aimed magics or sometimes death magics may hit the flyer or maybe chase the flyer.
Sholnfete Posted - 13 Apr 2005 : 21:35:21
No, at least it shouldn't. There may be the usual circumsatnces but htose usually apply to everyone.

Flying gives advantages like being able to avoid certain obstacles on an open field, but it also has disadvantages such as being an obvious target.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000