Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Interest Level in 3.5 "Conversion"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  15:44:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Hey all,

I got on a roll doing my "conversions" for the Realms for various races from the 3.5 rulebooks. I still wanted to do the races from Races of the Wild, from Races of Destiny, and a few more.

I was also interested in doing something along the lines of what Eytan has done at WOTC in his excellent "Class Chronicles" articles, but with the classes from the Dragon Compendium: Volume One.

What I am wondering, though, is given the announcement of 4th edition, is there any interest in these sources? Do you use them enough to want some FR suggestions? I have to admit it sapped my enthusiasm a bit when the announcement was made, but at the same time, I know I could muster some energy if people really wanted some more information.

Thanks all.

Results:
Still interested   [70%] 30 votes
Not really interested   [30%] 13 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 43 counted  »»   Last Vote: 03 Dec 2007 19:03:03 

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 03 Dec 2007 21:20:50

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  17:17:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am the wrong person to comment at all as i don't use the newer editions, but from what I have seen of your conversions its great work that many people could have use for. Many of them probably lurkers. But in the end it all comes down to if you are enjoying yourself whilst doing the work.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  17:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well ... as far as the tides go at the moment i think a good share off the old players is either allready hanging in an older edition or plan to keep hanging in 3.5 (flautly it might be in certain points ... but nothing that a good houserule can't handle) ... in fact i've for some time wanted a massive Races chronicles with the races in the 'races' books ... if for nothing else then for having a clue how to fit it if someone comes up and says that they want to play this or that race ... such as Catfolk (that screams 'shaar' to me though) or anyone more exotic ... and a short guideline about where to find each race

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  18:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We (our group ) are going stick with 3.5 system and it would be very appreciated if you did it

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 25 Aug 2007 18:10:40
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  00:34:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely... in fact, I believe I even made a request a while back.

Seriously though, what you (and Eytan) do is 99% lore based, so it would still be valid in any edition.

And besides, when we collect everything together into a KEJR Netbook, you could always do the 4.0 conversions.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  00:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will stay with the 3.5 for a good time, yet. My Unapprocheable East campaign is fully developed, but the players still are in the 4th level, so I'm interested yet in many options for the 3.5 D&D.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  02:22:45  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please keep going!!!

I will maintain my current campaign in the 3.5 framework, and perhaps even my next two-three campaigns (i.e. I plan to use 3.5 for another 6 years of solid gaming or so... there's just so much in print right now that my group and I have decided that we'd like to try the majority of it before moving on back to the new 4E core classes...)

PS: basically, when 3.5 came out, it revamped the core classes if you will, and people went back to the drawing board with their PCs. Over time, all the new core classes (scout, swashbuckler, etc.) drew some attention away from the core classes, and PrCs followed. Now, with the huge amount of PrCs my group has not "tried", we decided to camp on 3.5 for a few years. Perhaps in 5-6 years, 4E will be at a similar level of variety and available choices. Personally, I prefer PrCs and alternate paths/options to a 30-level core class. I'm sure the new 4E core classes won't be as "boring" as their level 30 3.5 epic counterparts, but nonetheless, my group (and I!) still prefer a level 30 character with a few PrC levels thrown in the mix. My group's about to go epic, and they want to be called "epic characters" just for the bragging rights: I understand a 4E level 21-30 PC no longer has the right to be addressed as "epic"
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  03:14:26  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also interested
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  08:34:14  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My PbeM game is going to stay 3.5e given the 'advice' to quit existing campaigns when making the switch to 4e. While I haven't yet used any yours (or Eytan's) work, I do read them and mine them for ideas. (I would typically the articles for NPCs rather than PCs).
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  10:49:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit - I will stick to 3.5 for a while. However, I would not use those races in my campaign as I stick to the main races that are covered by FRCS and RoF. Those are plenty enough for my liking.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  05:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll not vote... Okay, yes I will. I vote yes. Merely out of "laziness to do it my own darn self." Yes, I'm lazy. I've also got a few other "conversions" going on right now.

Anyhoo, Knight, your articles are at a very professional level. I have said it before, and I'll say it again: Your work is great. I enjoy it and would consider it canon right up there with the rest of the designers.

There are a relative few folks that I'd say that for. (And over half of them are here at Candlekeep!)

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  23:35:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not?

I'm not someone who really cares about rules, but if you're really revved up to do something, why not do it?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  07:08:03  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep is my source for all those tasty tidbits of Realmslore that either don't make their way into other sources or are dreamed up by fellow scribes, and I at least, have enjoyed your "Races of..." series of articles. Thanks for your work!

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  07:14:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies all . . . I'm feeling a bit under the weather right now, but this does give me some impetus for getting off my posterior and working on these again. Thanks again everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  00:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not reallt interested
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  16:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
definatly interested

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  18:44:47  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interested enough to give a twice over-look...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  19:04:35  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5 for now !!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  21:24:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all, thanks for the interest. If you didn't notice it, all of my "race" conversions are listed in this document:

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/fr-races-collection.zip

. . . as well as my "class" conversions for the Dragon Compendium Volume One, which didn't get the "Class Chronicles" treatment.

Again, thanks for the interest, and the replies.

Go to Top of Page

Abarys
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  00:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Abarys's Homepage Send Abarys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do it! Do it!

In a related note, I'm working on integrating the alternate class rules from those books into the system - Making the Elven Rangers of the High Forest use the alternate levels from Races of the Wild, and siccing packs of Elven Hounds on unsuspecting PCs.

Mostly, I'm looking at something posted on WotC's Design & Development blog a while back: the designers said that an orc fighter and a dwarf fighter, once you passed a certain level, had more in common than they had different. I think there are ways to prevent that and to make each region feel different from its neighbor, using the myriad rules and options already at our disposal.

Knowledge hoarded is knowledge wasted
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  15:57:33  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Abarys

Do it! Do it!

In a related note, I'm working on integrating the alternate class rules from those books into the system - Making the Elven Rangers of the High Forest use the alternate levels from Races of the Wild, and siccing packs of Elven Hounds on unsuspecting PCs.

Mostly, I'm looking at something posted on WotC's Design & Development blog a while back: the designers said that an orc fighter and a dwarf fighter, once you passed a certain level, had more in common than they had different. I think there are ways to prevent that and to make each region feel different from its neighbor, using the myriad rules and options already at our disposal.

That's one of the great things about 3e -- there are so many options, you can really flesh out your world if you want.

And, KEJR, you wouldn't be alone in continuing 3e work. The Creature Catalog at EN World plans to keep going with 3e conversions (forum here for discussions).

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000