Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The New FRCS
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  03:47:52  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I believe the new 4e campaign setting is coming out in August 2008. Any thoughts?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:03:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thought is it is a year away, that it is rather silly to reprint lore adjusted to new rules. That changing lore clearly would be a mistake. However we know little about the project at this point in time and its value might be greater then I expect.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:18:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remembering that the core 3e D&D rulebooks were released in 1999/2000, and that the FRCS 3e wasn't released until 2001, there's always a possibility that the new FRCS [assuming a new campaign setting for the new edition of the D&D rules, is released] won't be published until at least mid-2009.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  04:32:18  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go Sage, seal it
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  05:13:44  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We will still buy it for the updated lore regardless

Edited by - scererar on 17 Aug 2007 05:14:09
Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  09:34:57  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, after looking at the trailer for 4th Ed, I wonder if the FRCS wouldn't be re-released on CD-ROM?

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  16:36:23  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Remembering that the core 3e D&D rulebooks were released in 1999/2000, and that the FRCS 3e wasn't released until 2001, there's always a possibility that the new FRCS [assuming a new campaign setting for the new edition of the D&D rules, is released] won't be published until at least mid-2009.

haven't they annouced an 8/08 release of the new FRCS

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  16:54:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't aware of any official announcements. Do you have a link confirming this?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  17:24:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the news story, but I can't find the link right now . . . one of the interviews that was done mentioned the FRCS 4e coming after the core books.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  17:44:31  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I believe the new 4e campaign setting is coming out in August 2008. Any thoughts?

Nope, not yet. My only real thought is that's a year away and a lot can happen between now and then.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  18:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to be positive but my primary hope with a new FRCS is that a decision is taken not to advance the timeline in the game products. We're seeing far too many RSEs again and interesting game product hooks resolved in novels. Frankly I would like to see a whole new strategy in the novels once the new campaign setting is published with the novels telling stories of the past like Sword of Eveningstar.

Frankly, I was actually hoping that FR would be dropped so that Ed could take back creative control of the setting and we could have a range of edition-neutral lore books.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  18:46:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eremite

I'm trying to be positive but my primary hope with a new FRCS is that a decision is taken not to advance the timeline in the game products. We're seeing far too many RSEs again and interesting game product hooks resolved in novels. Frankly I would like to see a whole new strategy in the novels once the new campaign setting is published with the novels telling stories of the past like Sword of Eveningstar.

Frankly, I was actually hoping that FR would be dropped so that Ed could take back creative control of the setting and we could have a range of edition-neutral lore books.

I can't say I agree with this... I like it when the timeline advances, no matter if it is a product or a novel. I don't want the "RSE of the week" trend to continue, but I do want the timeline to keep moving forward.

I wouldn't mind the occasional foray into the past, but I don't want it to be like post-Legends Dragginglance. Until Weis & Hickman came back to do the Chaos War, the setting went utterly stagnant as everyone went haring off into the past.

And if FR was dropped, I don't know that it would mean creative control would automatically revert back to Ed, or that he would be able to find someone else to publish it. There have been many cases of companies letting product lines die, but retaining the IP so no one else can touch them.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  19:26:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has spoke about this, he only is loaning FR to WotC. If Ed does not write one book a year (or waive that ) the FR campaign (or at least his material) reverts back to him. Not sure about how good contract is for works of others, though it appears likely everything with the FR logo could revert back to Ed (along with obigation to other contributors likely). I have not seen the contract, but odds are such discussion is moot. It appears unlikely Ed will not get a book and I suspect he would not want it to revert back to him. Unless WotC does something real upsetting to him.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  19:43:02  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Ed has spoke about this, he only is loaning FR to WotC. If Ed does not write one book a year (or waive that ) the FR campaign (or at least his material) reverts back to him. Not sure about how good contract is for works of others, though it appears likely everything with the FR logo could revert back to Ed (along with obigation to other contributors likely). I have not seen the contract, but odds are such discussion is moot. It appears unlikely Ed will not get a book and I suspect he would not want it to revert back to him. Unless WotC does something real upsetting to him.

Does he get back stuff that he gave them, but never saw the light of day? i.e. alot of the stuff that we ask about but says he is under NDA?

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  19:59:19  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Does he get back stuff that he gave them, but never saw the light of day? i.e. alot of the stuff that we ask about but says he is under NDA?

I certainly believe so. That answer was in reply to what occurs if/when Ed dies to FR. It should be in Kujm's Answer file. Like I said before I did not read the contract.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  21:32:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I can't say I agree with this... I like it when the timeline advances, no matter if it is a product or a novel. I don't want the "RSE of the week" trend to continue, but I do want the timeline to keep moving forward.

I wouldn't mind the occasional foray into the past, but I don't want it to be like post-Legends Dragginglance. Until Weis & Hickman came back to do the Chaos War, the setting went utterly stagnant as everyone went haring off into the past.

And if FR was dropped, I don't know that it would mean creative control would automatically revert back to Ed, or that he would be able to find someone else to publish it. There have been many cases of companies letting product lines die, but retaining the IP so no one else can touch them.

I must admit that I am on the other side in this one. Dragonlance was killed by this for me personally. As to advancing the timeline, it is undeniably something that is needed, but the pace could be slowed. The Mystara version with the almanacs would be the perfect style and novels tying in to some of these happenings.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  00:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not really. *shrug* It's too early yet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  00:32:57  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Not really. *shrug* It's too early yet.

It depends how it's written (how much reprinted vs new lore).
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  01:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
August 2008 is indeed the tentative release date for the next FRCS. I suspect more will be revealed in the "Secrets of the Forgotten Realms" seminar tomorrow.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  02:17:12  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm trying to be positive but my primary hope with a new FRCS is that a decision is taken not to advance the timeline in the game products. We're seeing far too many RSEs again and interesting game product hooks resolved in novels.

it is exactly what destroyed the X-books from Marvel. Every summer was a major crossover event with special covers, etc etc. It got old and the books burned out

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  02:19:04  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I wasn't aware of any official announcements. Do you have a link confirming this?

I saw it on the Wizards site as well as an interview in EN World

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  04:26:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm trying to be positive but my primary hope with a new FRCS is that a decision is taken not to advance the timeline in the game products. We're seeing far too many RSEs again and interesting game product hooks resolved in novels.

it is exactly what destroyed the X-books from Marvel. Every summer was a major crossover event with special covers, etc etc. It got old and the books burned out

That's a good point and one that James Lowder made about the X-books in Len Wein's Unofficial X-Men. He talked about how too many major events, especially when the effects have a dubious long term resonance, just serve to cheapen the entire series. Doubly relevant given that he is a past FR writer.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  04:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

That's a good point and one that James Lowder made about the X-books in Len Wein's Unofficial X-Men. He talked about how too many major events, especially when the effects have a dubious long term resonance, just serve to cheapen the entire series. Doubly relevant given that he is a past FR writer.

Relevant indeed.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  06:46:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

quote:

That's part of why I bailed on comics... Considering how slowly comics move forward, they were having to save the world/universe about every other day... And with the recent flood of RSEs, I see the same thing happening.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  21:11:47  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a concern for sure. Its why I like smaller scale novels like the Class series. Even when the books aren't great, they're more like an adventure and not a RSE

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:03:50  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hours since the "Secrets of the Forgotten Realms" seminar and no spoilers yet eh? Ok I'll go first. The 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting will be set in the Year of Blue Fire, 1385 DR (or about 10 years after the conclusion of most 3.5 Realms supplements).

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:06:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::taking breath::

Boy, I'm glad we can just skip past all of those pesky interesting plot threads going on right now.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:07:54  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Hours since the "Secrets of the Forgotten Realms" seminar and no spoilers yet eh? Ok I'll go first. The 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting will be set in the Year of Blue Fire, 1385 DR (or about 10 years after the conclusion of most 3.5 Realms supplements).

And you don't say more ?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:13:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

They skipped right over 10 interesting years! Who's idea was this? I guess I won't be buying this product.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 Aug 2007 02:14:27
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Superhero comics put everything at the service of characters and issue-by-issue sales; Marvel or DC timelines are totally implausible in a realistic sense, from the ever-young heroes to the endless strife. Another comparison is the TV show 24: exciting, but senseless compared to the pace of our-world politics and espionage.

Maybe, in theory, you could combine 'biggest ever! most destruction! everything changes!' hype with a believable timeline of the kind the Realms has before 1358 DR. It would be very difficult, and is not now being done.

The metaphor that occurred to me lately is too much plastic surgery. The very elasticity of the Realms camouflages the damage, but the scar tissue is building up.

Edited by - Faraer on 19 Aug 2007 02:30:44
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:18:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moving the Realms further and further away in time from what people like about it is crazy. The timeline advancement -- in terms of years gone by, not in event density -- would be a lot more tolerable without the big jump we had to 1367 DR in 1993, where we lost several years for reasons never justified or explained.

Edited by - Faraer on 19 Aug 2007 02:19:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000