Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How to knock someone out
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  22:34:31  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good fellow scribes,

before I dig through the books on my shelf, does anyone recall where to find rules on how to knock out a foe (or friend) without reducing him to 0 hit points first!?

You know, the easy way with a simple hit of a sap or the hilt of a dagger or even a bottle of rum........

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  23:05:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dealing Nonlethal Damage

Certain attacks deal nonlethal damage. Other effects, such as heat or being exhausted, also deal nonlethal damage. When you take nonlethal damage, keep a running total of how much you’ve accumulated. Do not deduct the nonlethal damage number from your current hit points. It is not "real" damage. Instead, when your nonlethal damage equals your current hit points, you’re staggered, and when it exceeds your current hit points, you fall unconscious. It doesn’t matter whether the nonlethal damage equals or exceeds your current hit points because the nonlethal damage has gone up or because your current hit points have gone down.
Nonlethal Damage with a Weapon that Deals Lethal Damage

You can use a melee weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage instead, but you take a -4 penalty on your attack roll.
Lethal Damage with a Weapon that Deals Nonlethal Damage

You can use a weapon that deals nonlethal damage, including an unarmed strike, to deal lethal damage instead, but you take a -4 penalty on your attack roll.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  23:15:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kentinal, for the quick reply. However, that is not exaclty what I was looking for. I rather ment to knock someone out with just on precice hit on the head.

Like when to kindnap somebody it would not really help to have to bash him up for several rounds allowing him to cry for help.......... just one attack, one hit and than the sweet embrace of unconciousness.

Any idea?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  23:17:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as Kentinal posted.... it would be a -4 on the attack roll. If it worked then it worked and if it didn't... then it didn't... Dunno what else you are lookin for exactly.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Tacitus
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  23:27:51  Show Profile Send Tacitus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Like when to kindnap somebody it would not really help to have to bash him up for several rounds allowing him to cry for help.......... just one attack, one hit and than the sweet embrace of unconciousness.

Any idea?

I don't think there are any way do that in 3.5 E (without using magic). However, you could modify the Coup de Grace rules to suit your purpose:

quote:
Coup de Grace
As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless opponent. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to the target.

You automatically hit and score a critical hit. If the defender survives the damage, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. A rogue also gets her extra sneak attack damage against a helpless opponent when delivering a coup de grace.

Delivering a coup de grace provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening opponents.

You can’t deliver a coup de grace against a creature that is immune to critical hits. You can deliver a coup de grace against a creature with total concealment, but doing this requires two consecutive full-round actions (one to "find" the creature once you’ve determined what square it’s in, and one to deliver the coup de grace).

Just like it's possible for a combatant to "pull" his blow so that he inflicts subdual damage, you could rule that it's possible to inflict a nonlethal coup de grace on an unwitting target (which would then cause unconsciousness rather than death.)

Edited by - Tacitus on 11 Aug 2007 23:29:15
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  23:45:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well an Epic +40 sap might work, the 3X does not have called shots as far as I know. Of course getting a Critical could increase damage of either kind. All in all it depends how powerful the rarget is. As mention spell can work in one round, but even that is not assured if traget is high level.

Finding someone sleeping could allow a knockout in my game with one blow prehaps with a DC check.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  23:50:49  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds all very disappointing. So knocking out e.g. a 4th-lvl cleric with 25hp would not work unless you aktually would do 25 non-lethal dmg with the first attack...? Mmh - that would leave me with creating my own rule if I want to allow this kind of trick without magic (or poison).

Thanks for your help so far. If you come up with any ideason how such a rule might look like -let me know. Thanks again,

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2007 :  00:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A magege with the feat Nonlethal Substitution can deal Dealing Nonlethal Damage with his spells

Nonlethal Substitution [Metamagic] You can modify an energy spell to deal nonlethal damage. Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, any metamagic feat

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2007 :  00:09:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
25 hit points, might not be that hard.
Using a surprise round where Cleric is flatfooted, perferible not wearing armor as well, 3 or four NPCs with good stats have a good chance to inflict 25 points of damage before the Cleric can react. Clearly most kidmappings occur when traget is not with friends so surrounding should not be hard.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2007 :  00:33:10  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can the assassin's death attack render someone unconscious instead of dead? if so, there's your solution... assassins!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2007 :  00:39:19  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it can

If an assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (assassin’s choice)

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2007 :  00:45:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that would have to be at least character level 6, perhaps not a problem for a party level average of 4, but clearly a level 4 Cleric might fail a save.
quote:
If an assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (assassin’s choice). While studying the victim, the assassin can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the assassin or recognize the assassin as an enemy. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Int modifier) against the kill effect, she dies. If the saving throw fails against the paralysis effect, the victim is rendered helpless and unable to act for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per level of the assassin. If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack.

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2007 :  02:36:44  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd make a house rule for it, with one important qualifier: if it can be done BY the PCs, it should be able to be done TO the PCs as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2007 :  08:22:16  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

I'd make a house rule for it, with one important qualifier: if it can be done BY the PCs, it should be able to be done TO the PCs as well.

Well, Brenigin - that is actually a given! BTW, I intent to use it against the PCs, but of course they would be able to pull it off as well.

I will try to come up with a house rule, but have to see if this would not leave the special ability of the assassin rather useless as everyone could suddenly pull off a similar "trick".

Thanks for your opinion, everyone!

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  14:50:33  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The easiest way might be to create a feat that somewhat copies the assassin's ability. The pre-requist would be the ability to do sneak attack damage, and perhaps a minimum BAB. Rather than allowing the kill option, the feat only allows you to knock the victim unconcious with an unsucessful save.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  17:25:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

The easiest way might be to create a feat that somewhat copies the assassin's ability. The pre-requist would be the ability to do sneak attack damage, and perhaps a minimum BAB. Rather than allowing the kill option, the feat only allows you to knock the victim unconcious with an unsucessful save.

I'd not go for a feat unless this was something that was going to happen on a regular basis. Otherwise, it's a waste of a feat.

Me, I'd do it something like a called shot in 2E. Make it a reasonably tough attack roll to successfully attack the right spot while doing nonlethal damage, and put a damage threshold on there -- say, less than 5 points of damage annoys the target, 5-9 points dazes them for a minute or two, and 10+ points knocks them unconcious.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  22:07:02  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wasn't this detailed on the Comp Fighters hand book or the comp Thiefs handbook in 2e?

Delz
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  22:26:17  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or precision damage with a subdual attack (i.e. sneak attack, sudden strike or skirmish). Just to be sure use a knock out poison. Works like a charm for a couple of extra coins.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  22:51:48  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should take some sacrifice for a character to know how to knock someone out. It isn't something someone automatically knows, despite what movies show. =)

Make it like one of those Skill Tricks from the Complete Scoundrel. It costs 2 skill points to learn how to do this, and there is a requirement of +1 BAB (or more). Maybe even a skill requirement of heal.

This would also make it so they can only knock one person out per scene. Add in a stipulation that the victim must be flat-footed.
The Fort DC to stay up is 10+Dmg dealt

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Edited by - Wenin on 13 Aug 2007 22:54:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  00:12:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

It should take some sacrifice for a character to know how to knock someone out. It isn't something someone automatically knows, despite what movies show. =)

I disagree. It doesn't take a lot of skill or knowledge to clunk someone over the head. That's why I think a simple mechanic, like a high attack roll, is the way to go.

Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  11:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

That's just too complicated to be effective. Ergdusch, the easiest solution would be for you to add Shock Value to your game. It's a concept that's found in the Game of Thrones RPG presented by Guardians of Order. Here's how it works:

Shock Value.
A character's Shock Value is equal to his or her Constitution Score divided by 2 (round down, minimum of 1). If a character suffers an amount of damage in a single attack greater than his or her Shock Value, there is a danger that the character will be stunned.

Shock.
If a character suffers more damage from a single attack than his or her Shock Value, he or she must make a Fortitude Save vs. a DC of 12 +1 per point of damage inflicted above the character's Shock Value (round down). If the check fails, the character is stunned and will collapse. The character will also let go of anything he or she is holding. The attack does not have to break the skin.

A character's incapacitation will last for a number of rounds equal to the amout by which the Save was failed. An incapacitated character is effectively out of action, either knocked out or awake but immobilized by pain or shock. He or she may not take any offensive, defensive, or non-combat actions. The duration of incapacitation from multiple failed Saves from several injuries in a short period of time is cumulative.

Shock Recovery (Optional).
Normally, characters only recover from shock after a number of rounds equal to the amount by which they failed their Fortitude Save. GMs may wish to give characters a chance to recover every round, however. In this case, during the character's Initiative, he or she should roll a Fortitude Save. On the first round the DC is 20, and this lowers by 1 (19, 18, etc) every round until the character recovers, either by making the Save or after the required number of rounds have passed. The character cannot take a standard or full-round action on the round he or she recovers, but the character may take a move action (or simply play dead). During his or her next Initiative, the character can act normally.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

[edit] By the way, it's worth noting that the Game of Thrones RPG is very different from D&D; it is a game where combat is grim and gritty, where characters recieve very few hit points per level; armour provides damage reduction rather than armour class (easier to hit, harder to deal damage); and the coup de grace technique was removed in favour of the ability to instantly slay helpless opponents as a standard action. Essentially what I'm saying is that you may have to adjust the way Shock Value functions in order for it to be an effective device in your D&D game, especially considering how hard monsters hit at later levels. If not, you may find that it's simply too easy to knock your PCs out during combat.

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"

Edited by - Ugly is the new black on 25 Sep 2007 11:38:23
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  23:07:48  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That seems more complex than the other idea.

My character that does 1d8+13 dmg would also be knocking anyone out everytime he hit them.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  23:23:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not modify those Shock rules a bit? Say, the damage taken in a single attack has to be equal to or greater than 20% of the character's full HP, plus their Constitution modifier.

Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  06:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Why not modify those Shock rules a bit? Say, the damage taken in a single attack has to be equal to or greater than 20% of the character's full HP, plus their Constitution modifier.

You might have to playtest it a bit in order to get results that you're happy with, but that definitely sounds reasonable to me. If you end up implementing it into your game, let me know how it goes.

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
Go to Top of Page

Tacitus
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  23:10:18  Show Profile Send Tacitus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Sounds all very disappointing. So knocking out e.g. a 4th-lvl cleric with 25hp would not work unless you aktually would do 25 non-lethal dmg with the first attack...? Mmh - that would leave me with creating my own rule if I want to allow this kind of trick without magic (or poison).

Thanks for your help so far. If you come up with any ideason how such a rule might look like -let me know. Thanks again,

Ergdusch

I' d still recommend my idea of a non-lethal coup de grace. A normal coup de grace forces the target to make a FORT save versus 10 + damage dealt or die. A "non-lethal" equivalent might require the same saving throw, only that you'd go unconscious rather than die. This would much easier than trying to deal non-lethal damage equal to the target's HP total in one attack.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  23:59:20  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of you know that I have been away from FR for a while, but I'm really showing my ignorance - What is BAB?

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  03:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

Most of you know that I have been away from FR for a while, but I'm really showing my ignorance - What is BAB?

The first time I saw it used was in Iron Heroes, I think. So the term hasn't been in circulation for a real long time. It stands for Base Attack Bonus.

love,
nathan.

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  15:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is ther any restrictions on doing a coup de grace with a non-lethal weapon(quarterstaff)? couldn't you knock someone out with that( if they didn't save) one hit?

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Edited by - Aravine on 15 Oct 2007 13:17:18
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  03:11:06  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hit em real hard
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  06:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it is easier to knock someone out than the rules mess which was proposed. If there is a rogue type character, you equip them with a sap. If a sap is not available, then use a bag of nickels or marbles. Have the rogue in question specificly state what part of the anataomy they are trying to hit with the sap. Have them roll their sneak attack and damage. If they hit and depending on where on the anatomy they are hitting (namely the head), add another d6 (or two). This is what I use as a house rule for called shots and it is only a suggestion.

You can impose whatever roll penalties or other factors you want, but this seems like the simplest way put forward so far. Although I think this is what Wooly was suggesting earlier :-P

BTW, just for reference, a quarterstaff is a lethal damage weapon. A sap (or a bag of nickels) is a "subdual damage only" weapon.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  14:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you could also take the nonlethal substitution feat(complete arcane)if you're a spellcaster))

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Edited by - Aravine on 26 Oct 2007 15:40:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000