Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Swords of Dragonfire
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  23:45:14  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
2 thumbs up. I think I like it better then the first one... which I may have to reread.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  12:24:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

2 thumbs up. I think I like it better then the first one... which I may have to reread.

I'm very much looking forward to this one. If it's an improvement on the first (which I personally consider Ed's most 'complete' and balanced FR novel) then I'll be in heaven. I'm buying it at GEN-CON, hoping that his Mr Greenwood-ness will autograph it, and then reading it on my later travels through Europe.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  16:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sample chapter is available.

Opsmarckt Basic (the script font on the cover) is my new favourite Realms heading font. It's a lovely human typeface.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  17:19:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! I desperately want to take a look at the 'sample chapter,' but my love of all-things-Ed compels me to anticipate the release of the actual Swords of Dragonfire novel, before spoiling even a paragraph of the narrative itself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Aug 2007 17:20:13
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  19:42:57  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Unlike the Sage, my will is weak. I downloaded the sample a couple of days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Without spoiling anything big, the opening pages include an appearance by a character who I don't think I've ever seen in a Realms novel before, [at least not for a long time], and about whom I've long been curious. Off hand, I think its one of the longest sustained scenes I've ever seen Ed write, though it mixes this sustained action with his frequent viewpoint hops to give the reader different perspectives on events. I really like this blending of techniques. I suppose I shouldn't judge a book on its first chapter, but I loved "Swords of Eveningstar", and if this sample is anything to go by "Dragonfire" is going to be just as good or better. Can't wait.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  02:51:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved Dragonfire, and Ed tells me he's deep in writing the third one, "The Sword Never Sleeps," right now. More characterization, he tells me, and a lot more "little secrets of Cormyr."
That sample (consisting of the Prologue and Chapter 1, for those who haven't dared open it yet) is, in my opinion (except for the delightful "facing down the courtier" scene), the "slowest" and "weakest" stretch of prose in all of Dragonfire. So if you liked it, the rest is even better!
These are the novels Ed wanted to write back in 1990, when his "Long Novel Silence" fell because of all the problems with the writing of Spellfire. however, we got a steady stream of game products from his pen instead, that defined much of the Realms so other writers and designers could run around and play in it, so things didn't turn out that badly.
Still, I'd give a lot for a bookshelf full of the ongoing saga of the Knights. I wonder what tales Ed will turn to next?
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 06 Aug 2007 02:52:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  03:00:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

...and a lot more "little secrets of Cormyr."
Neato! I'm now starting to wonder just what exactly, Ed will reveal.
quote:
That sample (consisting of the Prologue and Chapter 1, for those who haven't dared open it yet) is, in my opinion (except for the delightful "facing down the courtier" scene), the "slowest" and "weakest" stretch of prose in all of Dragonfire. So if you liked it, the rest is even better!
I appreciate that, my Lady. Thanks.
quote:
Still, I'd give a lot for a bookshelf full of the ongoing saga of the Knights.
As would I. Here's hoping Ed finds other ways to share future stories about the Knights after the conclusion of the trilogy itself.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Aug 2007 03:01:00
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  17:12:38  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I can wait. I'll take a peek.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  20:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never did peek, but I did manage to pick the book up today during my lunchbreak and haven't gotten anything done since. Wow, this one hooked me with the first sentence of the Prologue. So much for watching Pathfinder tonight...

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Edited by - Xysma on 07 Aug 2007 20:03:13
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  01:03:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will peek, but not read!

I'll pick up the book ASAP and will begin reading when I'm done with The Ogre's Pact.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  02:48:11  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ogre's Pact.. you choose OGRE'S PACT over an Ed novel... someone get this woman a doctor!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  03:03:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Ogre's Pact.. you choose OGRE'S PACT over an Ed novel... someone get this woman a doctor!

I always finish the book I'm reading before moving on to the next one. That's just the way it is.

I started The Ogre's Pact before Ed's book came out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  09:31:00  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are these mages always so arrogant and bombastic? If I was a mage in Faerun, I'd be soft-spoken and polite, since it seems like all the wizards who go "muahaha" tend to meet an end that sounds roughly like "SPLAT!"

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  23:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Why are these mages always so arrogant and bombastic? If I was a mage in Faerun, I'd be soft-spoken and polite, since it seems like all the wizards who go "muahaha" tend to meet an end that sounds roughly like "SPLAT!"

To true... Although I've read about plenty of sneaky wizards as well.

A lot of "soft-spoken" mages in the novels end up being protagonists, whereas the more bombastic ones tend to be villians. It's all very "old school" to me (not saying that's a bad thing).

Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  22:22:16  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I was looking through YouTube for GenCon goodies, and found an Ed Greenwood interview where he is talking about the Knight's of Myth Drannor trilogy, among other Realms goodness.

Here is the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39UqVka-kE&mode=user&search=
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  23:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eldritchknight

Hey, I was looking through YouTube for GenCon goodies, and found an Ed Greenwood interview where he is talking about the Knight's of Myth Drannor trilogy, among other Realms goodness.

Here is the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39UqVka-kE&mode=user&search=

Well met

Splendid, eldritchknight! A good catch indeed I was glued to this and every word uttered by Ed o' the Greenwood

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  00:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, I enjoyed that video.

Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  04:09:16  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As did I. I have not read much of Greenwood, only Spellfire and Crown of Fire, but Annotated Elminster will be a good chance to read of El's origins.

Also, once the whole Knight's of Myth Drannor trilogy is out in paperback, I will read it. Is there any chance that Torm and Rathan are in the Knight's books? Loved the banter between the two of them.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  09:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eldritchknight

As did I. I have not read much of Greenwood, only Spellfire and Crown of Fire, but Annotated Elminster will be a good chance to read of El's origins.

Also, once the whole Knight's of Myth Drannor trilogy is out in paperback, I will read it. Is there any chance that Torm and Rathan are in the Knight's books? Loved the banter between the two of them.

Well met

Aye, those two make me chuckle and are one of the things I enjoy the most in Ed's books.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  01:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rathan made a cameo in Swords of Eveningstar.

I'm still working my way through the second book--I'll let you know if I see Rathan or Torm therein.

Go to Top of Page

DarkPsion
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2007 :  06:22:10  Show Profile  Visit DarkPsion's Homepage Send DarkPsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished it tonight and it was as good as all his books, really breaths life into the realms with all the little details, but I do have one question, what aproximate levels are the knights?

Florin, Islif and Pennae come across as very skilled, but Jhessail and the two "holynoses" don't seem to cast that many spells.

Edited by - DarkPsion on 21 Aug 2007 06:22:39
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  19:41:22  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even at alow levels, FLorin, Islif, and Pennae have a lot more to do per day then the 3 spellcasters you mentioned. You'll notice that a lot of what happens in the books, happens in the same day. So even if they're level 1-3, that's not too many level 1 spells.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  00:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Rathan made a cameo in Swords of Eveningstar.

I'm still working my way through the second book--I'll let you know if I see Rathan or Torm therein.

Follow-up post: I don't recall seeing either of these two characters this time around.

I still recommend the book, though!

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  04:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Ed snuck Torm into the book, or at least mention of him. Heh. Another reason to go back and re-read it! (Yay!)
Blueblade
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I thought Ed snuck Torm into the book, or at least mention of him. Heh. Another reason to go back and re-read it! (Yay!)
Blueblade

Yeah, there was a character who seemed like he might be a young Torm, though he wasn't called Torm. Maybe...

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  18:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know I jusr read somewhere a listing of the Knights and it listed an alias for Torm that I remember thinking was the name of that fellow you mention that so badly embarassed Dauntless. Of course I have nothing with me here at work and I can't for the life of me remember where I read that listing. I'll check Dragon 359 tonight, maybe that was it. Unless anyone already knows that this was Torm... Anyone? THO?

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Edited by - Xysma on 30 Aug 2007 18:33:53
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  22:34:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are quite correct, Xysma: that was indeed Torm, using the alias you couldn't quite remember (which is why this otherwise-unrelated character is in the book at all). Expect to (fleetingly) see more of both Torm and Rathan in the third book.
love,
THO

Edit: Torm was most infamous as "Rathgar" in his early career. One of several aliases he misused in his rise (?) to fame. See "FR0" (aka The Old Grey Box) for the first in-print reference to this.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 Sep 2007 02:20:39
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  02:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are quite correct, Xysma: that was indeed Torm, using the alias you couldn't quite remember (which is why this otherwise-unrelated character is in the book at all). Expect to (fleetingly) see more of both Torm and Rathan in the third book.
love,
THO

Thank you dear lady for setting my mind at ease. This tortured me all afternoon!

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  20:03:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, it's always nice to know the truth.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  22:27:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

love,
THO

Edit: Torm was most infamous as "Rathgar" in his early career. One of several aliases he misused in his rise (?) to fame. See "FR0" (aka The Old Grey Box) for the first in-print reference to this.

I thought that was him... His behavior seemed rather Torm-like.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

nutluck
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  05:14:11  Show Profile  Visit nutluck's Homepage Send nutluck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished this book a couple of days ago. Taken as a whole I think these are by far the best books Ed Greenwood has written. I really hope once the trilogy is done that he decides to write another one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000