Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 No FR RPG products in Jan-Apr 2008
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  04:15:22  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Spoted on ENWorld.

Edited by - Skeptic on 19 Jul 2007 04:15:47

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  04:23:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow,looks like I'm saving a lot of money the 1st quarter of 2008.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  01:51:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or have they just not been announced yet?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  02:01:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I dunno, I kinda doubt it because this is the printed hardcopy book that retailers use to preview/buy WOTC products for the half of the year.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  02:37:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

That's my thinking. I seem to recall this same complaint either earlier this year, or sometime last year.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  02:49:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall both Ed and Eric [here at Candlekeep and over at WotC] saying something about how they're still working on [non-novel] products for the Realms. And we're sometimes being told by THO that Ed's working on all-things-Realms-related, some which may or may not always involve novels either.

I am a little weary about what WotC have planned for future FR content on their website. I'm thinking the specific lack of details concerning future FR RPG products is in someway tied to WotC's plans for subscription-only sections of FR content on their website. And that when this new system does indeed become active, we're going to see an entirely new relationship coming into effect between printed material, being future FR RPG sourcebooks, and online FR content.

This could be why we've yet to learn any hard facts about about new sourcebooks for early-2008. It may be that WotC is cooking up something, and it will involve practically every way we either purchase or receive the normal amount of Realmslore for each yearly sales period.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  03:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this was December, and they still had no FR items announced for Jan-Apr 2008, then it might be a good time to be worried. But heck, we still have five months before then! Optimism, people!

Edited by - Uzzy on 20 Jul 2007 03:48:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  04:14:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm inclined to agree with Kuje's earlier point.

Even if there are actually products that haven't been announced yet, it seems unlikely that they wouldn't have been included in the WotC catalogue that is sent out. If nothing else, these unmentioned products may still exist as nothing more than ideas at the moment, in the minds of the designers responsible for writing them. Once WotC have settled on whatever they may be planning regarding the FR site, and updates for future Realmslore online, we may start seeing new titles mentioned in catalogues beyond Apr '08.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Jul 2007 04:15:12
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  06:14:43  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be really surprised if we didn't see more products in the catalog in upcoming months. It's still really early and some product names and even formats are still being changed. I can't give any more detail for a few different reasons, but I wouldn't give up hope.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  13:45:19  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean this list, Skeptic?

quote:
Originally Posted by thalmin
We just received the Wizards of the Coast 2008 Spring Catalog. Most of the titles have already been covered here, but I will give you what I can.

Fiction
The Legend of Drizzt Collector's Edition, Book I Hardcover repackaging of Homeland, Exile and Sojourn. $27.95 Feb 5, 2008

The Legend of Drizzt Collectors Edition, Book II Hardcover repackaging of Streams of Silver, The Crystal Shard and Halflings Gem. $27.95 March 4, 2008

Sea of Swords The Legend of Drizzt, Book XIII Hardcover recover. $25.95 March 8, 2008

Black Crusade A new Ravenloft trade paperback novel by Ari Marmell. $12.95 March 4, 2008

Firefly Rain is a modern day supernatural mystery hardcover by Richard Dansky. $21.95 Jan 8, 2008

Last Dragon is a fantasy trade paperback by J.M. McDermott. $14.95 Feb 5, 2008

The Man on the Ceiling is a horror (?) trade paperback by Mellanie Tem and Steve Rasnic Tem. $14.95 March 4, 2008

Devil's Cape is described as "Heroes with a Southern Gothic edge. Trade paperback by Rob Rogers. $14.95 April 1, 2008

Roleplaying Games

D&D Wizards Presents: Worlds and Monsters A D&D accessory (?) that gives a behind-the-curtain glimpse into the making of D&D. 96 page softcover, $19.95 Jan 15, 2008

D&D City of Stormreach is an Eberron supplement describing the city, with adventure hooks, maps, and adversaries. 160 page hardcover, $29.95 Feb 19, 2008

Star Wars Gamemaster Screen and Character Sheets contains a 4-panel screen and 32 double-sided character sheets. $14.95 Feb 19, 2008

D&D Mysterious Lairs Dungeon Tiles terrain tiles of dungeons, temples, and monster lairs. 6 double-sided heavy cardstock sheets, $9.95 March 18, 2008

D&D Eberron Survival Guide "A lavishly illustrated 64-page visual guide to the world of Eberron" and it "is an excellent addition to your library or coffee table." 64 page hardcover, $19.95 March 18, 2008

Star Wars The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide is a Star Wars rpg supplement inspired by the video game of the same name. It is a campaign stting during the period between Episode III and Episode IV. 224 page hardcover, $34.95 March 18, 2008

D&D Keep on the Shadowfell adventure for levels 1-3 includes 1 or 3 double-sided poster maps. 96 page softcover, $29.95 April 15, 2008

Star Wars Imperial Outposts: Galaxy Tiles 6 double-sided die-cut heavy cardstock sheets of terrain tiles. $12.95 April 15, 2008

Miniatures
Axis & Allies 1939-1945 Starter a 2-player starter set contains 10 minis, rules and maps. $16.99 Jan 8, 2008

Axis & Allies 1939-1945 Booster Pack contains 5 figures from a set of 60. $10.99 Jan 8, 2008

Axis & Allies War at Sea Starter a 2-player starter set contains 9 prepainted ship, rules and maps. $24.99 Jan 8, 2008

Axis & Allies War at Sea Booster Pack contains 5 ships from a set of 64. $14.99 Jan 8, 2008

Star Wars Legacy of the Force Booster Pack contains 7 figures from a set featuring characters from the Legacy comic book series. $14.99 March 7, 2008

D&D Miniatures Game Starter Set contains 5 non-random pre-painted figures, cards, 2 battle grids, and rules. Figures come from Dungeons of Dread series. $19.99 April 8, 2008

D&D Dungeons of Dread Booster Pack contains 8 random prepainted figs. $14.99 April 8, 2008

To be frank, I think it's a pretty ridiculous list. There is too much not on that list that we know to be coming out Early 2008, particularly in the fiction section. Reclamation isn't mentioned, which comes out March 2008. Just too much not mentioned for me to think that the list is all we are getting in Early 2008.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  14:45:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was trying to remember if we knew of any books that were coming out during that timeframe that were not on the list, but I hadn't had a chance to look it up yet.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  16:42:09  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I agree - some things we are expecting are not listed. I may not be particularly interested - but isnt the Orcus Icon mini (!?) due out somewhere in there?

also...

--------------------------------------------------------------
D&D Miniatures Game Starter Set contains 5 non-random pre-painted figures, cards, 2 battle grids, and rules. Figures come from Dungeons of Dread series. $19.99 April 8, 2008

D&D Dungeons of Dread Booster Pack contains 8 random prepainted figs. $14.99 April 8, 2008

Anyone notice that the Strater sets will have 5 NON-random minis? Perhaps they will make those some of the more common ones that people will want a Ton of - Or - it may be that those 5 will not be available in the boosters... thus requiring you to putchase more than one starter if you wanted multiples...

And as an aside - the last set came out in March - so I wonder if they are shifting the production schedule - or if it just a timing issue...

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  10:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

I agree - some things we are expecting are not listed. I may not be particularly interested - but isnt the Orcus Icon mini (!?) due out somewhere in there?

also...

Anyone notice that the Strater sets will have 5 NON-random minis? Perhaps they will make those some of the more common ones that people will want a Ton of - Or - it may be that those 5 will not be available in the boosters... thus requiring you to putchase more than one starter if you wanted multiples...

And as an aside - the last set came out in March - so I wonder if they are shifting the production schedule - or if it just a timing issue...

Dhomal

Id say there going the same way the SW minis line has ie the starter will contain minis that cant be pulled from the regular boosters from the same set

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  10:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As for the 2008 D&D/FR poduct line its begining to look like my Waterdeep campaign will be the last FR campaign I run (Campaign 3 will likley be SWD20, that setting is getting alot of attention with some really good source books and products)

Im really fed up with the flood of modules the settings drowning in

BRING BACK REGIONAL SOURCE BOOKS!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  16:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's hardly fair, Dargoth. I'm still getting loads of use out of Dragons of Faerún, Power of Faerún, City of Splendours: Waterdeep, Champions of Valour, Lost Empires of Faerún and Champions of Ruin, all pure sourcebooks released since 2005. I quite like the fact they are putting out more adventures for the setting, as I believe you can get more of the feel for a setting in seeing the NPC's in action.

Besides, that list is incomplete. It's missing Realms of War, Reclamation and Undead, all slated for early 2008 release. I'm very hopeful that more titles will be announced soon. (Besides, only going to look into SWD20 when they release a Knights of the Old Republic sourcebook!)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  12:27:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well its official no realms source books for the first 4 months of 2008

From Richard Bakers thread over at WOTC

"Yes, the catalog's essentially complete. Sometimes we do add products that "sneak in" under the catalog but that's not what we currently have in mind here. There are no Realms products in the first trimester due to the particular quirks of our scheduling process--you will see several Realms products in 2008, just a little later in the year. (Wish it weren't that way, but sometimes the schedule is funny.) Don't read too much into it. We'll have plenty of great Realms stuff to talk about at the GenCon Realms seminar."

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  15:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's shocking and disappointing

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  17:31:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm just glad to hear that there are Realms products later in the year. Given that we seemed to have moved into a "3 a year mode," with the exception of a certain much anticipated historical product . . . ahem . . . I guess one quarter would have to miss out.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  18:29:28  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a perfect world, regional sourcebooks would have kept coming steadily, and we would have seen the entire continent of Faerun detailed to our satisfaction.

For some reason, the powers that be decided to switch format. Maybe the reason was economical (not enough sales with the regional books?) or maybe it was operational (the staff at WotC *have* to do *something*, and I'm suspecting that their talents lie in art, game design, publishing, etc. rather than Realmslore, which is almost always produced by Eric Boyd and Ed Greenwood -- and we all know there is just so much two men can do!)

So whatever the reason is, things have changed. I personally have neutral feelings on the matter. I don't *hate* the adventure book format, but I don't see myself *using* these books anytime soon either (I just play once a week, the group I DM has an APL of 17, which is much higher than the levels these adventures target; plus, my group wants to carry on doing epic deeds in the levels 21+); and while I *absolutely love* the regional books, in all honesty, my life schedule has prevented my to read them in detail (I own all of them, but only read the relevant sections as my campaign demands, i.e. if the adventurers go to Velprintalar, I read the sections of UE that are relevant... I simply haven't got the time to read more, especially since most of my "free reading time" is taken by Realms novels; one day, when I retire, I'll have a heck of a fun time reading all these books in detail though! )

So, my way to support the Realms is to buy anything with the Realms logo on it. At least it shows support for the Realms. That's my way, which I think is the best way, to support the Realms. You can talk all you want, but in reality, you got to put your money where your mouth is.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  19:01:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich Baker also said, "No immediate plans on a "Faiths of Faerun," but the old Faiths & Avatars series was so thorough on that it's hard to see how we could top it."

In relation to Asgetrion's, "1) I know that Faiths and Pantheons (and before that, Faiths and Avatars) detailed (albeit shortly) many FR deities and their churches, but many FR fans have been asking for more religious lore and details, so are there any plans to release anything like Faiths of Eberron (“Faiths of Faerûn”?) which would concentrate on religious "fluff" and details - rituals, blessings/curses, terminology/vocabulary for each faith (i.e. fallen paladins or priests are known as 'Dark Watchers' within Helm's faith), daily chores, temple/shrine descriptions, cults/heresies ('Heretic of the Faith'-feat is a marvelous DM tool and all that. No prestige classes, monsters or NPC statistics. Sort of using the lore presented in Faiths and Avatars and Faiths and Pantheons but taking it a bit further."

So, sigh, that means, most likely, those deity rituals are NOT going to see the light of day. SIGH.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  00:49:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know... I was very disappointed to hear that particular update from Rich. Faiths of Eberron was an incredible product, especially when it came to detailing specific deity-related rituals and clerical ceremonies for the Sovereign Host and the Dark Six. A Realms-version is indeed, something I've longed to see for quite some time.

At least we can still 'pester' Ed, and ask questions about particular deity-related rituals that he may be able to share with us.

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Jul 2007 00:51:49
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  01:18:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I know... I was very disappointed to hear that particular update from Rich. Faiths of Eberron was an incredible product, especially when it came to detailing specific deity-related rituals and clerical ceremonies for the Sovereign Host and the Dark Six. A Realms-version is indeed, something I've longed to see for quite some time.

At least we can still 'pester' Ed, and ask questions about particular deity-related rituals that he may be able to share with us.

Aye,

which is why I asked for it at last years Gencon. :(

And aye, guess we'll just have to annoy Ed some more. Grin.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  13:14:46  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

In a perfect world, regional sourcebooks would have kept coming steadily, and we would have seen the entire continent of Faerun detailed to our satisfaction.

For some reason, the powers that be decided to switch format. Maybe the reason was economical (not enough sales with the regional books?) or maybe it was operational (the staff at WotC *have* to do *something*, and I'm suspecting that their talents lie in art, game design, publishing, etc. rather than Realmslore, which is almost always produced by Eric Boyd and Ed Greenwood -- and we all know there is just so much two men can do!)

So whatever the reason is, things have changed. I personally have neutral feelings on the matter. I don't *hate* the adventure book format, but I don't see myself *using* these books anytime soon either (I just play once a week, the group I DM has an APL of 17, which is much higher than the levels these adventures target; plus, my group wants to carry on doing epic deeds in the levels 21+); and while I *absolutely love* the regional books, in all honesty, my life schedule has prevented my to read them in detail (I own all of them, but only read the relevant sections as my campaign demands, i.e. if the adventurers go to Velprintalar, I read the sections of UE that are relevant... I simply haven't got the time to read more, especially since most of my "free reading time" is taken by Realms novels; one day, when I retire, I'll have a heck of a fun time reading all these books in detail though! )

So, my way to support the Realms is to buy anything with the Realms logo on it. At least it shows support for the Realms. That's my way, which I think is the best way, to support the Realms. You can talk all you want, but in reality, you got to put your money where your mouth is.

Well, it depends on if one wants to support the setting as a whole or the products that push in the direction one wants. It is an individual preference. I myself have not bought a Realms product since Power of Faerun, although I cant wait to get my hands on The Grand History of the Realms. Still, it is always a bit disappointing to see that there are no more products of interest in the nearest future.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  16:29:25  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to support the setting as a whole, despite differences between marketing/publishing/accounting departments and various authors that have made the Realms so alive to this day!

I have purchased all FR products available since the release of 3rd edition, and *most* products back in 2nd edition. I have not been able to keep up with the WotC novel department though, so I probably have only half of the novels since 2000 (spider queen stuff, and anything from Ed, Elaine, Rich, Paul, Rich Lee, Phil, Steven, Lisa and RS... plus all the "Best of"... so... most of the novels anyhow! )
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  02:03:58  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My theory is that they are holding off on releasing Realms products until 4th edition is released sometime in the middle of next year. Once 4e is released, then we might see quite a few FR books in-line to follow that are all updated to 4e rules.

My guess is that they will make the announcement at GenCon this month that 4e will debut sometime in the 2nd trimester of 2008, possibly as early as May. Hopefully then the dams will burst and all the pent up FR products will come spilling out.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  03:17:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

My theory is that they are holding off on releasing Realms products until 4th edition is released sometime in the middle of next year. Once 4e is released, then we might see quite a few FR books in-line to follow that are all updated to 4e rules.

My guess is that they will make the announcement at GenCon this month that 4e will debut sometime in the 2nd trimester of 2008, possibly as early as May. Hopefully then the dams will burst and all the pent up FR products will come spilling out.

Well, if they do that, I can hold off on replacing all the non-setting specific 3E stuff I just lost, I guess... Though I really don't think we're ready for 4E.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  03:50:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt it'll be announced at Gencon because WOTC has said, recently, that all major D&D announcements will now be at The D&D Experience, formerly known as Winter Fantasy, instead of at Gencons.

Edited by - Kuje on 31 Jul 2007 03:52:59
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2007 :  03:52:13  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hopefully Rich Baker said "don't read too much into it".
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  07:40:19  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I doubt it'll be announced at Gencon because WOTC has said, recently, that all major D&D announcements will now be at The D&D Experience, formerly known as Winter Fantasy, instead of at Gencons.

Possible, but isn't that in February? Assuming they want to give people a years notice, or minimum 9 months, that puts 4e arriving Feb 09, or maybe as early as thanksgiving 08, which would be just in time for Christmas, so maybe. But the timing seems off. It doesn't explain the paucity of Realms products through the end of this year and at least the first 4 months of next year. If there are to be a bunch of nice Realms products in-line for release next year, why would they put them all out in the last few months before 4e is released, when they would still be 3.5 and thus have a very limited shelf-life.

I could totally be wrong about this. But I just have this gut feeling that the scarcity of Realms products, and the kinds of Realms products they have been releasing of late, is intimately tied with the imminent release of 4e.

It's all a moot point, I guess. They either will or won't announce it at Gen Con, and we should know either way in a couple of weeks. And if they don't announce it then, as you surmise, then they will probably announce at D&D Experience in February. Whatever the state of 4e, I am dying to know what wonderful Realms products that they will divulge at Gen Gon. I wish I was going. I am relying on you guys to tell us all the interesting news.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  15:44:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dunno, maybe that just how the schedule for FR products turned out, as Rich said. He said even don't read to much into it about 4e. It's just how things turned out.

And aye, Winter Fantasy (I refuse to call it the D&D Experience) is around Jan or Feb but WOTC put out a press release saying they no longer feel that Gencons are good places to announce D&D announcements. So, I have serious doubt's we'll be getting such a announce in about a month.

Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  22:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje,

They actually didn't put out a press release. One of the designers mentioned that off-handedly at the D&D seminar at Gen Con last year. My point is, I don't think this is necessarily Holy Writ. Though, I have to say: If you wanted to turn D&D XP into a big convention, announcing in advance that 4E would be released there first would definitely bring in more that the usual 1-2000 people.

For the record, I still think 4E will be alluded to at Gen Con this year.

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana

Edited by - Athenon on 04 Aug 2007 22:41:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000