Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 3.5 Update of Spellsinger PrC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  00:50:58  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know if there has been a 3.5 update of the Spellsinger PrC. I know it hasn't appeared in any FR books I can find, but perhaps someone (Eric?) has posted about it or it made it into a WE I missed. I am asking because ot seems like the abilities are geared towards the 3.0 bard, but don't quite work as well with 3.5 bards. The power that increases your music checks and DCs only affects fascinate and suggestion because those were the only bardic music powers with DCs in 3.0. Now, there are not only tons of bard powers, but also tons of bard prestige classes and feats that have DCs. Should this affect them. The same can be said for the amplifying power. It says "most bardic music," but then goes on to list only inspire courage, greatness, competence, and I think countersong (along with triple range fascinate). Should this be expanded to all bardic music as well?

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  02:28:21  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Does anyone know if there has been a 3.5 update of the Spellsinger PrC. I know it hasn't appeared in any FR books I can find, but perhaps someone (Eric?) has posted about it or it made it into a WE I missed. I am asking because ot seems like the abilities are geared towards the 3.0 bard, but don't quite work as well with 3.5 bards. The power that increases your music checks and DCs only affects fascinate and suggestion because those were the only bardic music powers with DCs in 3.0. Now, there are not only tons of bard powers, but also tons of bard prestige classes and feats that have DCs. Should this affect them. The same can be said for the amplifying power. It says "most bardic music," but then goes on to list only inspire courage, greatness, competence, and I think countersong (along with triple range fascinate). Should this be expanded to all bardic music as well?

Spellsinger is 3.25e (appeared in Races of Faerun, which got some of 3.5e correct, IIRC).

The class itself looks nothing like I designed it. If you're going to revisit, you should go back to its roots in Elfsong (the novel) and the 2e Complete Bard's Handbook.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  10:23:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll take a look at the 2E handbook.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  11:07:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love it if you did a "rebuild" of the whole PrC, given that in the novels spellsinging was an elven tradition that some human wizards were facinated with and really wanted to learn more about, and that it was a "big deal" for Danilo to learn. A PrC that gives a few bonuses to bardic abilities doesn't seem like something that human mages would be chomping at the bit to learn more about.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  22:34:40  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'd love it if you did a "rebuild" of the whole PrC, given that in the novels spellsinging was an elven tradition that some human wizards were facinated with and really wanted to learn more about, and that it was a "big deal" for Danilo to learn. A PrC that gives a few bonuses to bardic abilities doesn't seem like something that human mages would be chomping at the bit to learn more about.

I'll have to think about it. It certainly seems like a worthy candidate for an update, though I'm not sure where it could reasonably be squeezed in.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2007 :  23:50:37  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I'll have to think about it. It certainly seems like a worthy candidate for an update, though I'm not sure where it could reasonably be squeezed in.

As something on the WotC site maybe? I know they have done some Psionic PrCs that way.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  02:49:02  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Eytan: if you hit the jackpot and get run of the presses for a while, may you please consider a rebuild of the Gnome Artificer from Magic of Faerun? I know it's a big fave with many people out there, as I keep seeing threads pop in with people asking if there is a 3.5 version of it somewhere...

[NOTE: the whole separate spell list is sooooo 3.0! we need something truly ingenious for this one; a complete revamp if you ask... the pricing system for the gadgets was ridiculously high... and either it should increase spellcasting levels OR drop the spellcasting requirements and make it a completely nonmagical class altogether...(something rogues/bards/rangers and other classes with lots of skill points could have fun with; perhaps even devise "skill tricks" for this one, a-la-complete-scoundrel, tricks being the development of a particular gadget, with craft/profession/openlock/disable requisites, and thereafter normal/regular craft prices... geez... I'm available if you need free labour on this one I guess!!! ]
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  10:31:59  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are lots of things I'd love to redesign. I've got a lot on my plate that would have to come before that, however.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 31 May 2007 10:33:08
Go to Top of Page

Mortagon
Acolyte

Norway
33 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  11:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Mortagon's Homepage Send Mortagon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that both the gnome artificer and spellsionger should get an update, as should the elven high mage. The classes were all good ideas, but they lack the flavor and umph! in their game mechanics to make them attractive to players.

Perhaps a prestige classes of the realms book? That would rock.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  11:13:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mortagon

There is one, though it's unofficial: Tom Costa's Prestige in the Realms

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 May 2007 11:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Mortagon
Acolyte

Norway
33 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  11:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Mortagon's Homepage Send Mortagon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Already got that one printed out. Great netbook.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  22:19:39  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Mortagon

Alas, Tom did not include the previous classes from Magic of Faerun, and probably with good reasons... but I *do* hope to see a 3.5 gnome artificer...
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  22:32:16  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't want to hijack the thread, but thanks for the kind words folks. And yeah, I didn't redo any 3E PrCs except by coincedence, or in the case of the primate of Bhaal because my Dragon version got changed in some ways that were not sound technically and I had a few new ideas after the fact.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000