Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Drizzt Happy 20th Bday
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  00:13:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/10400.html

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  00:50:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious.

I hadn't realised Drizzt was twenty years old already.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Apr 2007 01:03:53
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  00:59:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't want to be the first person to say something like that but I to don't have much interest in any of this. I can think of other characters and or authors who deserve it more.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  01:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously, not everyone is as persistently drowed out as many of us are. Drizzt's popularity is a mighty force that Wizards could leverage better for the Realms.

Poor Bruenor and Wulfgar!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  01:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm so theres going to be a Drizzt related CMG product in 2008...

I wonder if that means we'll get a Bruenor, Regis and Cattie Brie vs a Gargantuan Shadow Dragon scenario pack...........

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  02:08:26  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, now I really feel old.
Didn't realize Drizzt has been around for 20 years now.

And as much as I love the Drow, I was a Drow fan way back before the Realms was even set as an Official D&D Campaign Setting.

All Drizzt did was make them even more popular with the fanboys.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  04:32:56  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

While it was not my first Realms novel read, it was close! :)

I have noticed the drow-fanaticism that has grown as his adventures have expanded. I guess - personally - I am indifferent to it.

What saddens me somewhat is that all the hullabaloo is centered on a single character - ignoring the fact that it is Also the 20th Anniv of the Published Realms (as well as 40Th for Ed's personal writing). I would have liked to see That plugged a bit. Oh well.

I was also hoping to get to GenCon this year again - but it is looking more and more like I will not be able to make it. Unless someone has a lot of extra cash that I could obtain in some simple, legal fashion - if this is the case - please send me a PM at your earliest convenience. :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  05:12:32  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for one say happy b-day. any realms advertising is good realms advertising
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  07:30:07  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doing my best here to not be overly pessimistic, but are we going to have another round of drow centered products? After this rather lean year for me personally this is not the most positive news i could get when it comes to next years Realms products.

Then again, lots of people will be very happy when they here these news; one cant make everybody happy.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  14:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Obviously, not everyone is as persistently drowed out as many of us are. Drizzt's popularity is a mighty force that Wizards could leverage better for the Realms.

Poor Bruenor and Wulfgar!

How very true.

Though at this point . . . celebrating anything non-drow in the Realms would satisfy me.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 14 Apr 2007 14:41:11
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  19:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal
. . . ignoring the fact that it is Also the 20th Anniv of the Published Realms (as well as 40Th for Ed's personal writing). I would have liked to see That plugged a bit. Oh well.
Ignoring the anniversaries of the Realms would be crazy, and maybe they won't -- though we are a third through the year.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  21:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well ... i would wager that the only kind of people that are sad about it being Drizzt that is highlighted again and again is those that more or less live and breathe for FR ... and i must admit ... i'm one of them

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  01:09:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
. . . ignoring the fact that it is Also the 20th Anniv of the Published Realms (as well as 40Th for Ed's personal writing). I would have liked to see That plugged a bit. Oh well.
Ignoring the anniversaries of the Realms would be crazy, and maybe they won't -- though we are a third through the year.

Could be that there going to heavily plug the realms in 2008 its 21st birthday......

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  03:24:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I won't be ignoring this auspicious occasion. GEN-CON here I come! (Well, when I get to my travel agent this week. And after I pay for some exorbitant accomodation in Indianapolis. And organise leave from my work ... hmm, looks like I've got some work to do ...)

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  06:37:49  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Ohhh!! And i was about at the point of deciding that I could Not go this year... I will have to re-think this - as I owuld greatly want to meet you, as well as others.

Oh - I wish there were more dollars in my paycheck!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  07:08:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

quote:

I won't be ignoring this auspicious occasion. GEN-CON here I come! (Well, when I get to my travel agent this week. And after I pay for some exorbitant accomodation in Indianapolis. And organise leave from my work ... hmm, looks like I've got some work to do ...)

-- George Krashos

You choose a good year to go the dollars pushing 85 US cents and it will be even better if we get an interest rate rise next month!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  20:38:08  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Could be that there going to heavily plug the realms in 2008 its 21st birthday......
Could be the US will switch over to base 7.

The British budget airlines may be selling very cheap flights to the US soon, which would hasten my getting to Gen Con.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2007 :  21:13:05  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Could be the US will switch over to base 7.

The British budget airlines may be selling very cheap flights to the US soon, which would hasten my getting to Gen Con.

If you mean the recent deal, don't count on it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't come into effect for over a year, and it would need a tour operator to take it up. Also, flights to places like New York are already quite competitive.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  01:52:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This announcement is so very important, because the gods know WotC barely pays enough attention to Drizzt already. Maybe they'll release hardcover anniversary editions of his novels? That'd be cool, since his novels have long been neglected, out-of-print softcovers, when they deserve to be taking up at least half of the shelf-space FR books get at the bookstore.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 16 Apr 2007 01:53:20
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  03:23:18  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK what did you do to the real RF
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  03:48:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

OK what did you do to the real RF

I thought she was being sarcastic.... If she wasn't then otherwise, I agree. Where'd the real RF go?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  04:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

This announcement is so very important, because the gods know WotC barely pays enough attention to Drizzt already. Maybe they'll release hardcover anniversary editions of his novels? That'd be cool, since his novels have long been neglected, out-of-print softcovers, when they deserve to be taking up at least half of the shelf-space FR books get at the bookstore.

You owe me a new sarcasm detector

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  14:02:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was definitely being sarcastic.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  14:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to point out that while I understand the disappointment of some that a more general aknowledgement for the anniversary of the Realms as a setting was not issues, it should be noted that Drizzt has indeed been a factor in the overall success and popularity of the Realms, and as such, its not surprising that WOTC should make reference to this particular character when noting this anniversary.

As has been noted above, the year isn't over yet, and the Grand History does appear to be at least a part of the 20th anniversary of the setting as a whole.

We should keep in mind that for some fans Drizzt's anniversary marks the anniversary of when they discovered the Realms as a whole, and in bringing in more fans to the Realms, this is very much a good thing.

It actually has been a while since a novel featuring Drizzt has come out, and as such, it makes sense to mention the character's anniversary especially in light of the upcoming novel, The Orc King, this fall.

Finally, while I cannot presume to speak for WOTC's product scheduling, I would have to say that given that this year we have adventures set in Cormyr, Shadowdale, Anauroch, and UnderMountain, as well as the aformentioned Grand History of the Realms, I don't see an overly Drow themed year in products on the horizon.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  22:23:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I can understand the business reasons for it. And I don't even dislike the character.

But that doesn't mean I can't poke fun at it.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  06:19:36  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arkhaedun

It actually has been a while since a novel featuring Drizzt has come out, and as such, it makes sense to mention the character's anniversary especially in light of the upcoming novel, The Orc King, this fall.

Technically he did feature in the newest novel by RAS, since there were quotes/forewording from Drizzt in it.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000