Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Sharess versus Sune
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gwenfloor
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  03:28:05  Show Profile  Visit Gwenfloor's Homepage Send Gwenfloor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Now I know that the two are Chaotic Good Goddesses of Love/Lust, most likely lust in some cases, , but who, overall, is more skilled at being the Deity of Love?

Choices:

Sharess
Sune
Why don''t we all kiss and make up? :p

(Anonymous Vote)

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  03:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason when I read the title of this thread I thought it would involve mud wrestling

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  04:07:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to go with Sune. I'm a sucker for red heads, and the picture of her in Faiths and Pantheons . . . wow.

But hey, who am I to get in the way of a mud wrestling match to settle this?
Go to Top of Page

Drunken Master
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  05:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Drunken Master's Homepage Send Drunken Master a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love is Sune's thing; she's all about romance and beauty and emotion and all that. Sharess is more into hedonism and pleasure for its own sake. The dominions of both godesses deal with sex, but for different reasons (although, there is certainly some overlap there).

Erik Nowak
Graphic Designer, Blackdirge Publishing
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  05:21:37  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
remember that Sharess is a lower deity that answers to Sune :P

as far as i see it Sune's sex is for love

Sharess' sex is for sex :P

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  08:16:20  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In mine oppinion Sune is the only goddess of true love. Sharess is more a goddess of lust and sexual pleasures. LOL, I don't know why but I always think on rituals with big orgies with prostitutes and sexual delightment when I think on Sharess --> like the parties your mom wouldn't appreciate if you go there Sharess is also a patron of cats, and if I'm correct she was originally a cat headed goddess from Mulhorand.

Sune is more about beauty and love. 2 lovers who hold each other hands, a soft kiss but also tender, sweet sex between 2 persons who really loves each other.

You could also classify a third goddess called Loviatar. I think she is in one way also a goddess of sex but the more cruel way to practice it. This is maybe mature stuff but I can understand that SM-loving characters would pray to this foul goddess during their "activities".
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  08:30:06  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Sune is the goddess of love and Sharess more a deity of lust; both are deities of physical pleasures of sorts but they hold different, and lovely, aspects of these pleasures. Most mentions I have seen of Sune are pretty heavy on lust as well as emotion, but there is a combination. Sharess ideas of combinations are far different.

As for that mud wrestling match; is this open for other participants or for divinities only?
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  09:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to go with Sune the goddess of love, because i have a hard time seeing a goddess of lust and sexual pleasures, in a medieval world.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  09:57:02  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

I have to go with Sune the goddess of love, because i have a hard time seeing a goddess of lust and sexual pleasures, in a medieval world.

The only problem is that the view of sexuality is far different in the Realms than it is on earth. There is a very high acceptance for any kind of sexual behavior from what I have read in Eds comments. Love is a difficult word to define though.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  11:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, as Sune is the god of Love, that is the only option really.

Although i'd pay to see that fight :D
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  14:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I understand it, Sune's clergy also has orgies...ahem revels. And I doubt there is much love involved in that bonking. She is a flirtatious goddess, hence her chaotic direction. Sune's faith is more directed to appreciating beauty (in all its forms) RIGHT NOW! So if you can get laid by a beautiful maid/or lad (depending on preferences, of course), do not beat around the bush, just do it.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  18:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune. Love and sex need not be distinct from each other...in many cases where there is love, there will be sex. So I say the Goddess of LOVE is the most skilled at sex.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  18:55:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

The only problem is that the view of sexuality is far different in the Realms than it is on earth. There is a very high acceptance for any kind of sexual behavior from what I have read in Eds comments. Love is a difficult word to define though.

Besides, lust is bound to exist no matter what the prevalent view of sexuality is.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  19:06:46  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune, definitely... I agree with KEJR - Redheads. :D

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Gwenfloor
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  23:27:39  Show Profile  Visit Gwenfloor's Homepage Send Gwenfloor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Medieval Europe, yes, but there were plenty of places in the medieval world that had more "open" sexual views.
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  00:44:15  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sex is more intense when you love the one you have sex with so the answer is easy, Sune rules

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  01:05:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually don't think of Sune as a "sex" goddess. I think that tends to fall more to Sharess and, to a lesser extant, perhaps Lliira.

In fact, I'd say that "sex" as a aspect to be connected with a deity in the Realms -- would be something shared between all three deities... Sune, Sharess... and perhaps even Lliira.

Sune is about how love can lead you to the truest path of your heart's desire... sometimes even if you don't know it yet yourself. Love doesn't immediately equal sex, at least... not in the truest relationships built upon the love that Sune champions... but it is the beginning point of a sexual aspect for the Realms.

Sharess, the Dancing Lady, represents the notion of fulfillment through hedonism or other bodily and spiritual pleasures... in this case, sex. But it's important to note that some of these experiences can only be enjoyed "to their fullest" (as is the dogma of Sharess) when you've built it up from something else. In the case of sex, this is love, and the notions Sune embodies. Sex with someone you love is infinitely more fulfilling and sensually pleasurable than when it is just something transitory... something that is satisfied at that very moment.

From which, we come to Lliira... she respects the liberty of love and freedom... which through sex... is the end point. The love you share with someone whereupon no care or frustration would dare disturb. It is built upon the fulfillment of sensual desire, through Sharess, which is the result of truest love... through Sune.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  01:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune, for sure.

But, did someone mention mud wrastling?

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  02:27:36  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

remember that Sharess is a lower deity that answers to Sune :P

as far as i see it Sune's sex is for love

Sharess' sex is for sex :P

score one for Sharess then

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  05:25:28  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
easy answer- loviatar.
(except on tuesdays. then it's urdlen.)

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  05:56:01  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  20:18:45  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gwenfloor

who, overall, is more skilled at being the Deity of Love?

My answer on this is completely self-serving: both!

Seriously speaking, I see these two goddesses as being quite distinct. Sharess represents physical love, the sex drive and the people who make you say 'Wow!' out-loud. Much as Eros is the Greek god of love and sexual desire.

Sune represents emotional love, and the people who you love with your heart as well as your eyes. She is probably nearer to Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, beauty and sexual rapture then Sharess.

But I've got to end this by saying why choose when you could have both.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Gwenfloor
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  01:05:11  Show Profile  Visit Gwenfloor's Homepage Send Gwenfloor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aphrodite strikes me more as a goddess of sex than of love. She mind controlled Penelope to "fall in love" with Paris.
Then again, love and lust are often confused. How would the clerics of Sune view the difference between the two, or would they confuse both, like so many other people? But then again, you could learn a lot about love from worshiping a Goddess of love.
So, it is said that Sune detests ugliness. Ugly people need love, too!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  11:06:49  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gwenfloor

Ugly people need love, too!

I guess that's why a god of beer is needed.

Sorry, it was too much of a temptation to resist.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  16:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since the question is more of who is the goddess of love than who I prefer, I have to go with Sune. She is the Goddess that embraces the ideals of Love.

Now I personaly prefer Sharress over Sune for many reasons.
1) I love cats and Bast/Bastet has always been one of my favorite Egyptian Gods
2) She's represents the fun "naughty" "dangerous" side of love, and face it, we all love it!!!
3) She doesn't take herself too seriously, and Sune seems more serious for some reason. THIS is the way love should be, this is the way people should look.. yadda yadda. Sharress seems more like a "Enjoy now and worry later" kind of goddess.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  18:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I like cats too, so I can understand the appeal of Sharess.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  19:08:07  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why have them fight if they can merge into Sunress, Goddess of noble and dirty loves?

Well, the one answer is the kissing and making up after their mudbattles....

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  22:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the difference, though, between love that is "noble" and love that is "dirty"?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  22:53:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

What's the difference, though, between love that is "noble" and love that is "dirty"?

Whether or not jumper cables are involved.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  23:43:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Whether or not jumper cables are involved.

Or mud wrestling. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  01:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000