Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Playing Online
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

XNedra
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  22:07:28  Show Profile Send XNedra a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well Met,

I am looking to join an online campaign that is either already started or just starting. I have my own characters but would be willing to make a new character. I am at home a lot due to illness so a long campaign would be perfect.

I must admit I feel very humble here in this forum, I thought I knew a lot about the Realms but I feel like a dummy compared to you guys and gals. I feel I could learn a lot just by reading the threads which is what I am doing.

Thank you for reading sorry if it is in the wrong place or too long.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  22:52:08  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the party from one who gets routinely dummified.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  23:20:29  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not dumb XNedra.

Some of the posters here simply make studying the Realms and all its lore an obsession. It's interesting, but I must admit I get a little scared when I look over some of the threads here and see the same posters replying all the time. It's actually quite frightening when you consider just how far the depths of Realms knowledge reaches here.

Maybe these obsessive posters don't have much else in their lives but the Realms . . . .

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Edited by - D-brane on 14 Feb 2007 23:21:21
Go to Top of Page

XNedra
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  23:27:24  Show Profile Send XNedra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest I am the same at the moment, as I said due to illness I am rediscovering the realms through my books, and also this site now. I still cannot believe how informative it is. I used to write a lot of campaigns and I am thinking of starting again but I think that being away from the realms for so long means I have to relearn everything.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  23:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

at least we don't get mummified....yet

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  23:43:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

at least we don't get mummified....yet

Grin. :)

And really, it's no different then how some people can sprout sports figures/players from memory, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  23:49:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

You're not dumb XNedra.

Some of the posters here simply make studying the Realms and all its lore an obsession. It's interesting, but I must admit I get a little scared when I look over some of the threads here and see the same posters replying all the time. It's actually quite frightening when you consider just how far the depths of Realms knowledge reaches here.

Maybe these obsessive posters don't have much else in their lives but the Realms . . . .

It's not as much an obsession, as it is something I've been following since around 1989. You spend that much time going over material, both old and new, and you're bound to pick up a factoid or two.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  23:52:42  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, 'tis obsession here...then again I AM obsessive compulsive, although I am taking a break from reading Realms novels atm, needing to read some other stuff...need...naw...want!

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

XNedra
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  00:22:02  Show Profile Send XNedra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mace, have you tried David Eddings.
His collections are really good. The Belgariad, The Malleorean, Belgareth the Sorcerer, Polgara the Sorceress and The Rivan Codex. The other set is The Elenium followed by the Tamuli.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  06:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, no yet, XNedra. I'll look into it ... some day. Gotta lower my book-pile first tho ...

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  07:53:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're not dumb XNedra.

Well, I think most of us have much knowledge about some things and less about others (well Sage and Kuje seem to have the whole thing covered); for me at least, it is more a question of knowing where to look for answers than actual knowledge. That and don't trying to remember everything elven related, which leaves me with a lot of space to fill other Realms-lore in my head.

And I think the obsessive have as many distractions and pleasures outside of the Realms as all others.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  11:11:28  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean like Dragonlance and dice bags?
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  11:17:53  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

No, no yet, XNedra. I'll look into it ... some day. Gotta lower my book-pile first tho ...

LOWER your book pile.... You keep buying the damn things off me Mace

XNedra sorry to here you are ill, nothing to serious I hope.

Re online play some one on the boards I can't remember who was running a PBE game.

Don't feel bad about not knowing as much lore as some people here on the board, I myself have come back to the realms after a stupid act years ago when I sold ALL my D&D stuff so now I am getting back into it and all the bloody changes! though I still prefer 2e over 3.5e.

I may chip in here and there on the board with what help I can but next to some I know very little! it seems.

Relax Read and enjoy, Your in good company.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

XNedra
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  11:50:56  Show Profile Send XNedra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replies, I feel like my head is exploding with all the free information on here. LOLOLOL. Yes it is serious but I have to keep my chin up and every day is a bonus. I will keep looking then hopefully join one.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  09:08:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're not dumb XNedra.

Hey...

Just because I know more about the Realms than I do about our actual world... doesn't in any way mean I'm obsessed with Ed's creation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  10:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on topic, you'll find rpol.net to be a good site with lots of games running at any one time. In particular a part of it called Realms of Adventure is very well organised, and I suspect a few sages here may be involved with it (I know RodOdom is)
Go to Top of Page

XNedra
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  11:28:45  Show Profile Send XNedra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kaladorm

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000