Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D in Every day life :)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TsilfaEor
Acolyte

France
9 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  21:51:51  Show Profile  Visit TsilfaEor's Homepage Send TsilfaEor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello my my fellow councelors, just a fun note to see how each of you lives with DD.

for example, my friend Eilinel always has a d20 on him, and let me give you an example of what he does with it: we went to mcdonalds and he had to choose between chicken mcnuggets or a mcbacon, he says "below 10 first choice and above 10 2nd choice" and he rolled it on the very floor!

another example of my friend Zemd this time: on a true or false exam: even number : true / uneven: false !!!

Or when we were fighting with a friend (gentle fight), "here you go, you take 2 d6 in your head for this mighty kick!" those kind of remarques.

When we have vital choices to make we use a d20 to choose!!!!
What about you guys, tell me some funny things tha thave happened to you!!

Tsilfa'Eor Olortynnal
Gold Elf of Myth Drannor

"He who controls the past commands the future.
He who commands the future conquers the past."

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  23:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...vital choices made using a d20?

Well, when I went to buy my current car, I used the d20 I always carry with me to pick out the color. Not all that funny? Okay, lemme think...

I once managed to talk a cop into deciding whether or not to give me a ticket based on a d10 roll...I won, but still got the ticket...guess I shouldn't have done eighty in a thrity-five.

Ummm...let's see, I've picked a bunch of movies based on d20, d10, and d6 rolls. Pick a couple of mvies, asign numbers, and roll...never failed me yet (except when the dice sent me to Gods & Generals, that particular die got banished to the bag of evil dice).

I have in the past used by d10 to pick NCAA winners (hey it worked this year).

There are a couple of other scenarios, but my significant other would kill me if I said anything, so...sorry.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  06:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, ever since coming here got me interested in the gaming side of the Forgotten Realms, I've been using (mentally, anyway -- no one else would understand what I'm talking about) the stats and alignments to classify people.

For instance, my sister is Neutral Evil. (Though she can sometimes go up to True Neutral.) My old Biology professor has an intelligence of 16, but a wisdom of 4. (She knows her stuff, but she doesn't know how to teach.

It's really just an extention of how I like to make up names for people. They range from the harmless (Mr. Late-to-class, Miss Is-that-going-to-be-on-the-test, and Mr. Dreadhead (you should see how much hair this guy's got), to the occasional outlet for my own anger and/or frustration.

For the latter, I've got a Mr. Bigot in my English class -- he seems to think anyone without the Blood of Mother Africa in him/her wants to be an Evil Slave Owner. (He's Chaotic Neutral with Int 14 and Wis 3.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  10:04:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

TsilfaEor said -
quote:
*snip*/for example, my friend Eilinel always has a d20 on him/*snip*
As it should be, no self-respecting DM should ever be without his d20, you never know when it might be needed.

Of course, it really is a personal choice, but I like to carry at least one on my person at all times, it's quite amazing the uses that you can find for it.

As well as this, I have short listings of nearly all the published skills and feats by WotC, which I carry in a small notebook around with me. I continually use it to apply skills or feats to real-life situations that I encounter during my travels. In fact it works great when I'm at work, when an inevitable and sometimes destructive bug appears in a program's code (I am a lvl 4 computer programmer, by the way), and such feats as Iron Will and Lightning Reflexes become extraordinarily useful.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  11:36:12  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always carry a D20 too. But i use it for my choices when i feel that both solutions would be good.
When i make a big party it's sometimes had to wake up on the next morning, so i throw a dice to see if i'll go to school
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  17:21:25  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I do medieval re-enactment so I tend to always have a shield in my trunk, and on practice nights I have a full suit of armour.

The sword is made of Ratan (Heavy bamboo) so it is a bit like carrying a balanced baseball bat around. THat is in the trunk too.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2003 :  17:33:48  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have a dagger, a cutlass, an axe, a sword and a cloak
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2003 :  21:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe...the cops told me I couldn't carry around my sword in my car anymore, so I kinda put an end to that habit...but I always carry bag of dice in my car. You'd be surprised how often I get the urge to roll.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2003 :  21:47:46  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the SCA sword does not look like a sword, it does not give much problem with cops. More like a baseball bat with a metal basket hilt. That's OK though, ultimately the SCA sword is more damaging then most of the 'real' swords made in the modern age.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  05:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

I also have a dagger, a cutlass, an axe, a sword and a cloak

I've got a hooded cloak (like my avatar's, but black), a staff, an eagle-hilted dagger (the wings are the crosspiece), a sawtoothed dagger, a sawtoothed short sword with a kind of skull and snake design, and a replica of a Swiss pike. The latter, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it ) isn't sharp (or sharp-able) like the blades.

It's too bad the Faire won't let you in with even a replica . . . I'm planning on going as a black-robed good wizard, so weapons would look out of place, but I'd still love to have that eagle dagger on my belt. It looks really good.

(By the way, I'm hoping to convince a friend who has his own staff to go as a white-robed evil wizard -- no reason, really, except that I love that sort of dichotomy.)

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  13:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My story is not so much how I use dnd in my everyday life, but more about how its helped me. I was also going 80 in a 35, and got pulled over by a hidden cop. When he came up to my window and was writing me the ticket, he noticed the FRCS book in my passenger seat. He told me how hs son played this as well, and he played when he was younger. So we got into a long conversation about it and even invitied me to play with him and his son! So eventually he forgot about my speeding all together and we both drove away smiling. FR let me keep my license, and I am ever so grateful.

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  07:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, that sounds like a recipe for more anti-RPG: it makes you a speed demon! Obviously if you hadn't had that in the car with you, you wouldn't have been speeding!

Seriously -- 80 in a 35? You crazy? Even my brother doesn't do that. I hope you had a good excuse.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  07:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, eighty in a thirty-five is nothing. I know a guy who was going through a thrity-five on his bike at about 130 and he passes a cop going the other way. Long story short, the guy stopped about three-quarters of a mile down the road and the cops pulls up, not the least bit amused.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 02 May 2003 07:27:40
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  15:15:46  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its true, i use to roll my dices to choose. And sometimes, i rolled them in exam -in a multiple choices question for instance-
One time, i rolled a dice before even thinking about the question, i cross an answer even if i knew it was totally wrong but i didnt want to change : i just couldn't. The dice chose for me.
I know im crazy sometimes...
But since, i think a lot before rolling the dice

i know that nobody can change my mind when the dice is rolled, it always has the last word...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  22:17:22  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I summon dust devils to clean my apartment. I also have a Ring of Pain in the Ass People repulsion that works pretty well...

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  04:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

I also have a Ring of Pain in the Ass People repulsion that works pretty well...

Dude! Pleeeeeeeease tell me where I can get one of those!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  08:16:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

mournblade94 said -
quote:
I also have a Ring of Pain in the Ass People repulsion that works pretty well...

I would also very much like to acquire one of these magnificent items.

and Yasraena said -
quote:
Dude! Pleeeeeeeease tell me where I can get one of those!
Unfortunately Yasraena, I think the store where Mournblade94 purchased this ring will undoubtedly be sold-out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  18:08:16  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
trying to pickpocket mournblade94 to steal his ring...
Oups, critical miss...

he he... just wanted to watch the hour... nevermind...

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  23:37:46  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eilinel

trying to pickpocket mournblade94 to steal his ring...
Oups, critical miss...

he he... just wanted to watch the hour... nevermind...

Obviusly it didn't work that well because Eilinel still came near me!

Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2003 :  16:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::sighs:: obsessed?? me? never! ha!

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:56:16  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, i take it for me...
well done
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  21:17:25  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I routinely find myself assigning classes and alignments to characters on television shows. I also always seem to think of spells that would be of great use on those same shows.

Is it just me or does anyone else get annoyed by the girls on Charmed (television series featuring 3 good witches for those who live under a rock)not using their powers very effectively?

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  21:35:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean. I could think of so many ways to use a telekinetic power like Prue (the dead sister) had. I don't watch it any more, though. No time, and the episodes were declining.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  22:14:20  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also give number to characteristics. For example: "This guy/girl has 15 in charisma",...
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  20:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

I also give number to characteristics. For example: "This guy/girl has 15 in charisma",...

Aha! I am relieved to hear that I am not the only person who does that! ::sigh!::

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2003 :  00:49:52  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do the sme thing with intelligence. I rate alot of the people I observe according to the old 1st ed MM intelligence scale:

THe vast majority of people that fall in line like sheep I generally shun and let them watch reality TV because it will keep them away from me. I rate them at about an 8 intelligence. Then there are the people that JUST CANNOT think. Typically I just call these people orcs. And I describe them as orcs because there is really nothing politically incorrect about that yet. I am having a very bad dumb person contact day. SO I am really wishing for that Ring of Poeple Repulsion now!!!

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  08:22:15  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
funny... and i think the same, so it makes it almost funnier.
and when someone fails something very badly, we use to say "critical miss", i have a friend that always does critical misses, he must have the special feat improved critical... miss.

or to see what the next exam note will be, we roll a dice. sometime we feel happy then, but other times...
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  09:51:39  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also give people alignments and stats. I consider my friend to be NG with 16 dex and 15 int. All those years of him playing console games has made his hands nimble and his memory is amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  18:12:41  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find myself also assigning people character classes and stats as well. Usually it is for other teachers I'm taking some Master's classes with, Int-3, Cha-0. Sometimes I find myself refering to them as characters from the FR novels, like Pwent (in my head of course, although there was that one time...)

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  23:56:44  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

I find myself also assigning people character classes and stats as well. Usually it is for other teachers I'm taking some Master's classes with, Int-3, Cha-0. Sometimes I find myself refering to them as characters from the FR novels, like Pwent (in my head of course, although there was that one time...)

Those teacher's masters classes are soooo painful, and alot of the people are real ORCS. I never realized such people could actually become teachers. After finishing my certification, and giving people in the profession what they want to hear, I knew I would NEVER go for a principles certificate. I am going to keep trucking along and just get a PhD in Wildlife Biology. There are some teachers that REALLY frighten me.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  01:57:34  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear you, Mournblade. I couldn't ever be a principal either for similar reasons.

For example, I am getting a degree in Instructional Technology (using computers to teach), and one of the women in my class who is almost finished just said "Do you know what I just realized? The number lock has to be on for the numbers to work on the key pad."

A Language Arts teacher I used to work with (she passed away) told students that W was a vowel.

I am actually thinking about getting out altogether and getting a job at a computer help desk or something when I finish my degree, although I am sure every career has its share of ORCS.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000