Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Eytans new FR article to begin this month
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  02:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From February and beyond

"Eytan Bernstein brings a Forgotten Realms take on classes as well, in a new mini-series"

I wonder if this will cover the expanded class like Knight, War mage , Favoured soul etc

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  07:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excited to read more.

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  10:47:37  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

From February and beyond

"Eytan Bernstein brings a Forgotten Realms take on classes as well, in a new mini-series"

I wonder if this will cover the expanded class like Knight, War mage , Favoured soul etc

Indeed. And much more.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 10 Feb 2007 10:48:07
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  15:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess I don't have to bother pondering over a "How does one join a PrC?" article anymore, or?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  18:44:40  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This series is more focused on how certain classes function in the Realms. I don't think there is a conflict with your idea.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  22:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh...cool...thanks

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  23:07:31  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

This series is more focused on how certain classes function in the Realms. I don't think there is a conflict with your idea.

I'm hoping it also includes where certain classes function in the Realms... (In that, I mean which organizations typically employ them, which countries and cities they're most frequently found in, and so on.)

EDIT: FR substitution levels for non-core classes would also be most welcome, but I'm guess that's outside the scope of these articles.

Edited by - nbnmare on 10 Feb 2007 23:10:07
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  03:03:51  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
when's the first one? how quickly will they be out there?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  03:27:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im guessing (Feel free to correct me Eytan)that they will be similar to these Eberron article

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/ee

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  11:56:11  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First one should be any day now. As for frequency, I'd guess one every few weeks, but I don't see them until you do. There is a lot of similarity to Keith's article (in fact it was the inspiration for the idea of my articles - thanks Keith!). But, there will be some differences. It's quite possible you will see an occasional new mechanic or two, though not always or of any significant quantity.

One important thing is that I try to provide alternative ideas (however briefly) for people who want to use the ideas presented without introducing the classes. It's not alwazs a huge explanation, but it should help a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  06:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

First one should be any day now. As for frequency, I'd guess one every few weeks, but I don't see them until you do. There is a lot of similarity to Keith's article (in fact it was the inspiration for the idea of my articles - thanks Keith!). But, there will be some differences. It's quite possible you will see an occasional new mechanic or two, though not always or of any significant quantity.

One important thing is that I try to provide alternative ideas (however briefly) for people who want to use the ideas presented without introducing the classes. It's not alwazs a huge explanation, but it should help a bit.

Alas not today.......

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  15:38:57  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The funny thing is that by the time I see them, there will probably already be several message board threads analzying everything. It reminds me of something Jason Buhlman said last week. Someone had gotten one of those early copies of D&D releases that are available in a few select places and was reading through it before Jason had even finished reading his own copy. I was fortunate to get a PDF of the Magic Item Compendium in January, but most of the time we don't see the books and articles much (if at all) before you all do.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  16:15:32  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The funny thing is that by the time I see them, there will probably already be several message board threads analzying everything. It reminds me of something Jason Buhlman said last week. Someone had gotten one of those early copies of D&D releases that are available in a few select places and was reading through it before Jason had even finished reading his own copy. I was fortunate to get a PDF of the Magic Item Compendium in January, but most of the time we don't see the books and articles much (if at all) before you all do.

I just hacked WotC and read your article as well as a .pdf of Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave. Looks great!

j/k

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  23:28:21  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say . . . . I'm actually a little weary about this article.

I don't want to criticise your ability Eytan, as I'm a fan of your work, but I hope this series will be offering more than just dry stats, rules, and class options through feats and skills or whatever. I'm hoping for fluff.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  00:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its up

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070214

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  00:12:18  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great work Eytan. I really liked this opening chapter, and ironically, it dovetailed rather nicely with what I was writing up for my potential Featherdale campaign regarding Beguilers, Leira, and Baravar Cloakshadow. I also like that you tied Dragon Shamans as being more of a "goblinoid" thing than a common or civilized adventuring class.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  01:44:21  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

I'm hoping for fluff.

bingo

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  04:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next week should be the Duskblade and the Knight

Hey Eytan how come you didnt tie the Dragon Sharmans to the Cult of the Dragon, Tchazzar (and the other 2 Ascended Dragons)and the Blood of Morueme?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  07:23:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great work Eytan, even for a 2ed. fan like me, this article is both great reading and good plot hooks. Look forward to the next installment.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  08:55:08  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Next week should be the Duskblade and the Knight

Hey Eytan how come you didnt tie the Dragon Sharmans to the Cult of the Dragon, Tchazzar (and the other 2 Ascended Dragons)and the Blood of Morueme?

I thought I did tie them to the Cult of the Dragon. As for the others, partly it was a space consideration and partly, as mentioned by others, I wanted to keep the class somewhat more rustic (likely to be seen among "uncivilized" humans or goblinoids)

Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  12:35:36  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great article indeed . As well as those ethnic groups mentioned in the article, I personally would expect to find dragon shamans amongst the bedine (blue and brass), the barbarians of icewind dale (white), and the nomads of the Land of the Lions (mainly copper). Besides the races already said to have dragon shamans, there are almost certainly several firenewt dragon shamans (all red), and there are probably a few wemic dragon shamans (mainly bronze). If there were such a thing as abyssal dragon shamans, the khaasta would be the perfect fit for them.

EDIT: I'm a bit confused; the opening paragraph of the article mentions new classes from multiple sources, while the second paragraph states that this article is "the first in a series that will provide information on how the PHB II classes can be incorporated into the Realms". Does this mean classes from other sourcebooks won't be covered? I'm hoping this isn't so, as I'd very much like to see the warlock, favored soul, and spellthief make an appearance in this series.

Edited by - nbnmare on 15 Feb 2007 12:41:46
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  21:31:02  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other sourcebooks will most definitely covered. The article got split into two pieces; the intro was meant to just introduce the fact that the series will be covering classes from a large number of books. That's probably why it's a little confusing in the beginning.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  02:08:07  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a good article, exactly what I was hoping for. I hope some of my faves are covered like scouts, swashbucklers, favored souls, spirit shamans, etc. I would love to see him tackle things like incarnates and swordsages.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  22:27:07  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More recent or capstone classes may end up coming quite late, but I do hope to cover them.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  00:49:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan is this a weekly article?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 22 Feb 2007 00:50:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  01:00:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Questions for Eytan Bernstein scroll:-

quote:
I'm honestly not sure how often they will be released. I had originally thought once every two weeks, but then the first article got split into two parts. I'd guess once every 1-2 weeks, but that's just a guess and nothing more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  01:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

From the Questions for Eytan Bernstein scroll:-

quote:
I'm honestly not sure how often they will be released. I had originally thought once every two weeks, but then the first article got split into two parts. I'd guess once every 1-2 weeks, but that's just a guess and nothing more.

Damn I was hoping the realms was finally going to get weekly articles

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  12:03:28  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concur. I'd love to see a twist on the Warlock that drops the alignment restrictions for the Realms and relates more directly to the weave than some diabolical ancestry.

quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare

Great article indeed . As well as those ethnic groups mentioned in the article, I personally would expect to find dragon shamans amongst the bedine (blue and brass), the barbarians of icewind dale (white), and the nomads of the Land of the Lions (mainly copper). Besides the races already said to have dragon shamans, there are almost certainly several firenewt dragon shamans (all red), and there are probably a few wemic dragon shamans (mainly bronze). If there were such a thing as abyssal dragon shamans, the khaasta would be the perfect fit for them.

EDIT: I'm a bit confused; the opening paragraph of the article mentions new classes from multiple sources, while the second paragraph states that this article is "the first in a series that will provide information on how the PHB II classes can be incorporated into the Realms". Does this mean classes from other sourcebooks won't be covered? I'm hoping this isn't so, as I'd very much like to see the warlock, favored soul, and spellthief make an appearance in this series.

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  12:04:55  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Other sourcebooks will most definitely covered. The article got split into two pieces; the intro was meant to just introduce the fact that the series will be covering classes from a large number of books. That's probably why it's a little confusing in the beginning.

Outstanding!

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  23:47:43  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitter thorn

I concur. I'd love to see a twist on the Warlock that drops the alignment restrictions for the Realms and relates more directly to the weave than some diabolical ancestry.

Not I. I prefer the way they were created. Its a good explanation for their "spell like" powers

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  17:08:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitter thorn

quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare

You may want to check out Complete Mage then.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000