Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Beasts of Chaos in the Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  00:03:49  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi there wise sages of Candlekeep -

I've long been fascinated by the race of goat-men in the Warhammer World known as the Beasts of Chaos. I love the idea that they represent a corruption of nature, as they live in the woodland realms and war against the wood elves for control of the forests. For whatever reason, I think that they would fit well in the Forgotten Realms with some tweaking.

Obviously, the bit about their birth at the hands of the gods of chaos would have to be dropped. However, I thought that perhaps a similar explanation for their appearance could be used, such as a corruption of fey creatures, centaurs, satyrs, or elves in the High Forest by the demons from Hellgate Keep, or in Cormanthor by the fiends that helped sack Myth Drannor.

Also, any place that is strongly associated with minotaurs could also work as place where these creatures roam. I don't know that much about minotaurs in the Forgotten Realms, so I can't really guess about where that would be.

What are your thoughts about this? Where would you put them? Would you even put creatures like the Beasts of Chaos in the Forgotten Realms?

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  01:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea of satyrs corrupted by some dark power is pretty compelling, that does sound like good material. Maybe a daemonfey or fey fiend? Not sure about a forest where you could place them that minotaurs are also found. Minotaurs prefer labrynths as a habitat, so any forest with maze-like ruins would work well.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  03:33:09  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Ibixians (Goat Folk) are in the Monster Manual III. Their alignment is listed as neutral, but I imagine you could definately have evil versions of them. They are monstrous humanoids rather than fey.

It could be that the Ibixian progenetors were indeed fey, but did something to get them "outcast," and they resent fey and those associated with them as a result. Between this origin and the fact that you could easily find some tribes of them that aren't true neutral, you might be able to work with that.
Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  08:13:28  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. I suppose then that a minotaur connection isnt possible. I do like the idea that Ibixians have been outcast by the fey for some reason, as that gives them a motive for their hatred of all things fey or fey-related (including elves). Keep the ideas flowing!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  10:30:19  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have no experience with warhammer whatsoever, but the first thing that I had to think of when starting to read this thread was:

'Hey, what about the 'Beast of Malar' from the Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerun (p. 20)?' --> It is a corrupted Animal with only one desire: to hunt.

Or similar: the 'Beast of Xvim' from p. 85 of the same book.

It might not be exceptly what you are looking for but I thought you might be interested anyhow.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  14:17:24  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like idea of creating a new evil fey, for what thats worth

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  18:52:23  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Beast of Malar is a good "nature turned evil" creature, and the fact that it exists to hunt also fits well, but not exactly what I'm thinking of. I guess I'm going for a more organized and militant society of evil fey, and I always figured that the Beasts of Malar were solitary hunters.

To give you a good idea of what the Beasts of Chaos look like, take a look at this picture.
http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/beastsofchaos/extras/concept_art/1.htm.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  17:27:05  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the warhammer world these beasts roam the northern chaos wastes, more like a craggy plains type terrain infused with strong arcane winds. These arcane winds are also the reason the beastmen are corrupted with chaos, as magic draws from the chaosrealm.

In fearun I could imigine these beasts are found on the cold plains in the north, like Silverymoon or Damara. Somehow connected to the Hellish layer of Cania, one of the nine layers of hell. This freezing cold realm fits the rugged outlook of these beasts. Maybe a permanent portal to the hellish realm of Cania in some icecave provides these foul beasts entrance to the realms.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  17:53:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I coulda swore there was a Beast of Chaos in 2e..... Can't remember which book it was in though but I want to say one of the Encyclopedia Annuals.....

There had to be since it's been unofficialy updated here:

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/template/beast_of_chaos.htm

Well, there's also one in the 3.5e MM.

As for the topic, maybe the goat-men are races of the chaotic planes. Specifically Arborea (if you use the old planes) or Arvandor (if you use the new planes). I was also thinking Limbo would work.... They could have been created/came to Toril's Planes during the war at the dawn of time....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 28 Jan 2007 18:02:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  01:40:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could follow a "WH-lite" interpretation for one way to drop Beasts of Chaos-styled creatures into the Realms. That would be to simply suggest that at some point in Faerun's history... a planar gateway briefly opened onto the Prime Material from an outer plane of corrupting influence -- Limbo or a layer from the Abyss for example. From there, the chaotic planar energies swirled around the exit point of the portal for a time, slowly infusing with the immediate landscape and gradually corrupting its natural state into something more like the plane the energy emerged from.

Over time, barbaric "North"-men, or simply Uthgardt, came to settle in the area as part of their migratory travels through the Savage Frontier, following wild game and finding the corrupted area a challenge to their warrior spirits. As the months pass by, these barbarians slowly fall under the corrupting influence of the land as the once strong chaotic energies, now slightly decayed, immediately find a new form of expression and corruption in the barbarian biological structure. The energy causes severe mutations in most of the barbarians, with those who do survive becoming horrible half-man, half-animal abominations.

You could also introduce the concept of a "herdstone" -- perhaps similar in size and function to the Uthgardt beast totems. Erected upon the site of strongest chaotic influence, the herdstone of the Uthgardt Beastmen tribes becomes a place of savage sacrifice, fiendish blood rites, and unspeakable prayers uttered to long forgotten gods of chaos.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Jan 2007 01:42:16
Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  03:48:49  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had some ideas of my own, Sage, but yours are really good. I hope you don't mind if I steal them wholesale for my own purposes.

Are any of the lands north of the Spine of the World detailed? The Endless Ice Sea? I like the idea that perhaps some lost tribe of Uthgardt, north of the mountains, was corrupted by a portal to the lower planes, and are only recently migrating south into the Icewind Dale region.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I'll keep brewing up ideas.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  04:59:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, go right ahead.

I didn't delve too deeply into specific Realmslore, since I'm looking at this more as a template that can be used to fit individual FR campaigns, rather than fitting the Beastmen into FR proper.

As for what little lore there is on the regions north of the Spine of the World... The North boxed set provides a little, as does The Savage Frontier. See the same sources for lore on the Endless Ice Sea as well. Both are available for free download as PDF from WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000