Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elverquisst Price?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  10:59:15  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been reading through my copy of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and was looking over the price of elverquisst at the House of Good Spirits as compared to the Elfstone Tavern or The Inn of the Dripping Dagger. (I started rereading Elfshadowand came across the part where Elaith tucks the decanter into his belt), and wondered how much a decanter of elverquisst costs as compared to a bottle. Also, how many glasses are in a bottle v/s. a decanter? Thank you for your help!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  23:27:50  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Aurora's has the answer for this... I may be wrong, but somehow I seem to remember that Elverquisst costs 50 gp/bottle?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  23:33:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I think Aurora's has the answer for this... I may be wrong, but somehow I seem to remember that Elverquisst costs 50 gp/bottle?

I think you are thinking of Evermead, which is in Aurora's for 50GP a handkeg and 30gp a bottle.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  23:46:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I think Kuje is on the mark here...

...Especially since a bottle of Elverquisst at the Inn of the Dripping Dagger in Waterdeep costs only 20gp/bottle.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  23:52:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I have been reading through my copy of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and was looking over the price of elverquisst at the House of Good Spirits as compared to the Elfstone Tavern or The Inn of the Dripping Dagger. (I started rereading Elfshadowand came across the part where Elaith tucks the decanter into his belt), and wondered how much a decanter of elverquisst costs as compared to a bottle. Also, how many glasses are in a bottle v/s. a decanter? Thank you for your help!

And I noticed you've missed another price comparison for Elverquisst. You'll likely want to compare with the price of Elverquisst at the Dragon's Head Tavern as well -- 9gp/glass -- as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Dec 2006 00:07:14
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  00:27:13  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

And I noticed you've missed another price comparison for Elverquisst. You'll likely want to compare with the price of Elverquisst at the Dragon's Head Tavern as well -- 9gp/glass -- as well.

Ah, thank you. In the real world, how many glasses are in a bottle of wine, and how many are in a decanter?

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  00:44:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say it depends on the size of your average wine glass.

As I recall, the traditional "rule of thumb" is five glasses per bottle -- for a 750mL wine bottle. A decanter usually holds more than 750mL, around about 1L or 1.5L if I'm remembering my wine lore properly. So that would be about 7-to-10 glasses of wine per decanter.

As such, you may find that a decanter of Elverquisst in the Realms, could cost more than your average bottle -- so, perhaps a little more than the 20gp/bottle you'd pay for Elverquisst at the Inn of the Dripping Dagger.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Dec 2006 00:46:47
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  00:57:23  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage is correct for the bottle of 750ml of wine. 5 per bottle of normal size.
I found this on American heritage:
American Heritage Dictionary - de·cant·er (d#301;-kān't#601;r) Pronunciation Key
n. A vessel used for decanting, especially a decorative bottle used for serving wine.

So depending on the decanter SIZE, it could hold ALOT. but the carafe size that Sage mentions above is the average for serving wine to tables, 7-10 glasses. (I guess Frost Giant decanters would be like 10 bottles of wine, and gnomish ones would be like 2 glasses lol)

Those are current modern measurments from america too, so The realms may be different. Just offering information and agreement with Sage...

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  01:24:44  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! With all the information you have on this subject, I bet you're fun to have around on New Year's Eve.

So for a decanter, just do 1.5 to 2 times the amount of a bottle then?

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  01:28:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks guys! With all the information you have on this subject, I bet you're fun to have around on New Year's Eve.
Ask me that again after January 1st.

quote:
I'm not entirely sure the US sizes match with those here in Australia or the UK, but yes... until we hear anything back from Elaine on this, that could work for you.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  06:38:53  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot, Sage. I really appreciate all of the help, and to the rest of you as well. If you have any more information on the price of elverquisst, please post it here.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  17:44:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, the particular decanter in Elfshadow was itself worth quite a lot.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  11:59:11  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, the reference was something to the affect of "worth more than the inn may make during the entire festival" if I remember correctly...

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  15:12:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, the reference was something to the affect of "worth more than the inn may make during the entire festival" if I remember correctly...

It was some sort of crystal decanter, wasn't it? Knowing how elves do things, it may have been something magically formed and grown into a specific shape. I'm thinking that the decanter itself was a minor work of art. Thus, even with sewer water in it, it would still be worth a huge amount.

Besides, I'm doubting that inns and taverns have huge profit margins. As a friend who runs a store in a mall was just telling me, it doesn't take much for a once-profitable operation to start losing money (in his case, rent at his store was raised by like $5K, and it was enough to make the place unprofitable).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  23:35:52  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It was some sort of crystal decanter, wasn't it? Knowing how elves do things, it may have been something magically formed and grown into a specific shape. I'm thinking that the decanter itself was a minor work of art. Thus, even with sewer water in it, it would still be worth a huge amount.

Besides, I'm doubting that inns and taverns have huge profit margins. As a friend who runs a store in a mall was just telling me, it doesn't take much for a once-profitable operation to start losing money (in his case, rent at his store was raised by like $5K, and it was enough to make the place unprofitable).

Wow. I never even thought about it being grown or magically enhanced crystal. Thanks Wooly!!

Oh, had to edit to say yes, it was a crystal decanter. Sorry.

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 29 Dec 2006 23:36:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:28:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And the decanter's shape itself, is something we may have to also consider in terms of how much it can hold, and with respect to its overall value.

As I recall, the section about the decanter in Elfshadow, has Elaith return it to his belt when they're done. Thus, the shape of the decanter itself will likely have to easily allow for such a method of "storage" and may, ultimately, severely limit just how much it actually holds. The decanter is described as "half-full" when Elaith tucks it away on his belt, supposedly after only two servings -- one for himself and one for Arilyn.

So, the decanter Elaith takes from the House of Good Spirits may have been smaller than 1L.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:29:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The specific reference:- "The decanter alone was probably worth more than the inn would make during the entire festival week."

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:44:35  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

The specific reference:- "The decanter alone was probably worth more than the inn would make during the entire festival week."

Thanks Sage, I can always count on your Sage-like answers and quick-draw wit!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:57:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm witty? Wow, that's news to me.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  04:59:29  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ask me that again after January 1st.

quote:
I'm not entirely sure the US sizes match with those here in Australia or the UK, but yes... until we hear anything back from Elaine on this, that could work for you.

Here we find ourselves on January 1st. So... were you fun to have around?

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  05:17:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'll let the Lady K answer that one... she'll be around shortly.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000