Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Dark Elf or Icewind Dale?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Damon
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  21:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Damon's Homepage Send Damon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings and Salutations!

I am new to the Candlekeep forum, being directed here after someone down at the WotC boards told me it would be a good place to learn A LOT about the FR setting. I am new to FR and only right now own the Campaign Setting book, but I will soon be obtaining some other supplement books to help me. I recently obtained both the Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies. I was wondering which set to read first, because I read through much debate on the sticky about which novels to read and what not. But anyway, some help would be much appreciated.

Damon

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  21:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First Welcome to Candlekeep Damon.

I would say Icewind Dale trilogies.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  21:43:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a matter of preference. Some people prefer to read the trilogies in the order they were written in -- Icewind Dale, then Dark Elf. Others, myself included, prefer to ignore publishing order and read books in chronological order -- Dark Elf, then Icewind Dale.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  22:02:18  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm...Well, I read the Dark Elf Trilogy first, and I would recommend it to be read that way. Chronologically, and all.

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  22:24:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chronological for me as well. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  23:28:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least the Bookwyrm is no longer here to whack me with a copy of Icewind Dale when I answer this time.

'Tis chronological for me as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gellion
Learned Scribe

140 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  01:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Gellion's Homepage Send Gellion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went Dark Elf then Icewind Dale.

"Paladine, you see the evil that surrounds me! You have been witness to the calamities that have been the scourge of Krynn... You must see now that this doctrine of balance will not work! I can sweep evil from this land. Destroy the ogre races. Bring the wayward humans into line! Find new homelands far away for the dwarves and the kender and the gnomes, those races not of your creation... I demand that you give me, too, the power to drive away the shadows of evil that darken the land!"- THE REIGN OF ISTAR, Tales IV
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  01:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it matters.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  09:02:11  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read Icewinddale first, than Dark elf and I have to say that i have to second what Rino allready said: It does not really matter (in this case at least.)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  11:45:23  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First:

Well Met.

Second:

This all depends on what type of FR nut you are (no offence), Some like Chronological, some like published order.

I like having a story to follow so for me it's chronological but it really isn't an issue read what ever you want first. You don't NEED to read in any order.

BUT read all of them.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  13:31:32  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

At least the Bookwyrm is no longer here to whack me with a copy of Icewind Dale when I answer this time. 'Tis chronological for me as well.

I'll do it for him...

*whack*

Oops... that was the hardcovers collector's edition... someone get Sage an ice pack...

Anyway, Icewind Dale first! Order of publishing since Dark Elf makes reference to things in Icewind that it expects you to already know about. *nods*

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  22:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True...but those references are few, and only in Drizzt's "journal entries". It's not like reading DET first would be this huge spoiler session.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  22:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should go chronic with Drizzt...err chronological

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  23:13:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the books in published order, myself. But like I said, I don't think it matters that much--there is no "wrong way" here.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2006 :  23:56:19  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
-there is no "wrong way" here.

Unless, of course, you read them upside down

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Damon
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  00:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Damon's Homepage Send Damon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent..

Thanks for all the help..I am excited to start!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  01:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:
-there is no "wrong way" here.

Unless, of course, you read them upside down

Well, yeah.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  11:47:30  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chronological. That's how I read them.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  20:07:18  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewind Dale is a lot more fun than Dark Elf, so I would say ID first.
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  06:21:51  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neither trilogy is particularly amazing and it really doesn't matter which one you read first. I did like the first book of the DET a lot though.

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  15:36:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renzokuken
Neither trilogy is particularly amazing...

I have to agree. The novel Homeland benefits from some great drow politics though.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  07:00:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
both are great IMO. I read the dark elf trilogy first then icewind dale.
Go to Top of Page

Anxtraphyl
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  08:34:04  Show Profile  Visit Anxtraphyl's Homepage Send Anxtraphyl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm planning to read them in chronological order too. As a side question, is there a list of the chronological order, relative to FR history and lore, in which all the novels should be read?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  11:16:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anxtraphyl

I'm planning to read them in chronological order too. As a side question, is there a list of the chronological order, relative to FR history and lore, in which all the novels should be read?

Well, there's O Love's Novels Timeline, which lists all the books and short stories, and when they happen.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  15:26:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well, there's O Love's Novels Timeline, which lists all the books and short stories, and when they happen.

Brian's timeline should also have that info......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  16:23:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Brian's timeline should also have that info......

Ah, yes, Brian R. James's A Grand History of the Realms is also an excellent resource.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Dec 2006 16:24:35
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  02:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
even if this opinion is a little late i'll give it anyways....chronological all the way...

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  03:17:20  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always read in order of date published. If RAS wanted the Dark Elf 3 read 1st, he would have written it 1st.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  05:50:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quajack

Always read in order of date published. If RAS wanted the Dark Elf 3 read 1st, he would have written it 1st.

That's a preposterous statement... Drizzt was originally created to be a sidekick. RAS has said so himself. The success of the character surprised everyone, and it enabled RAS to go back and tell Drizzt's early story.

There was no way the Dark Elf trilogy would have ever seen print, had not the Icewind Dale trilogy put Drizzt in the limelight.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  08:03:22  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, although with the trend to rerelease the novels as saga of Drizzt you can prolly read them in chronological order.

Edited by - Mace Hammerhand on 29 Dec 2006 08:04:43
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  05:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Renzokuken
Neither trilogy is particularly amazing...

I have to agree. The novel Homeland benefits from some great drow politics though.

Agreed. Out of the six novels, Homeland captured me the most.

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000