Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Power to the people!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  10:01:26  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any major events where rebellion of common folk in Fearun lead to shifts in power in regions? It seems the "lesser" people have little to no power in Fearun, a fantasy world where a single powerfull entity could utterly destroy mobs of humanoids. A king with ample resources and arcane support wouldn't be even fazed by rioting mobs and is very difficult to dethrone. Has tyranny traditionally been overthrown by revolts and such in Fearuns history?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  10:40:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the recent war in Tethyr was a combination of civil revolt and noble scheming. Most of the old aristocracy fell either in the bid for power or to the weapons of the oppressed commoners.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  15:39:11  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warm winds, Jorkens
What people were the oppressors and what thethyrian families stepped into the power void so too speak? Do thethyrians have a king?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  15:52:56  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tethyr was and now is again a monarchy.

The Mulhorandi rising up against the Imaskari could be counted as a people's rebellion, same goes for the Kingdom of the Stag where Elminster Aumar helped to defeat the magelords.

Aside from that...it requires more coherent thought than I am capable of right now

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  15:55:08  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wouldn't Thays rebellion from Mulhorand count as well?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  16:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a sessation (if that is the right word). Thay did not try to overthrow Mulhorand, rather they tried to get away so to speak

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  16:56:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old Tethyrian monarchy and aristocracy fell and a new queen came to power with more of a popular support some fifteen years later.

There has been more than a few coups in the Realms history, but these have mainly been by powerful individuals or groups such as merchants. There has also been a few cases of "popular risings" which has been used by schemers such as the Zentharim.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  17:18:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree that the "lesser" people don't have power. Most of the people in the realms are "lesser" people and not leaders. Without them those leaders would not have any food/resources/materials/etc unless the leaders took the "lesser" people and turned them into slaves.

Nations are built on the commoners/lesser people and without them, there are no nations. Also, I disagree that leaders wouldn't fear revolts. Even if the leader(s) did kill thousands that revolted, that would still effect their nations because then you would be losing farmers, craftsman, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  17:57:20  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also you should remember that most nobles are just that aristocrats with no "real" class levels. I'm willing to bet that there have been kings around who only had levels in aristocrat class.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  18:49:52  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
didn't the people of the Shadowdale overthrow a couple of lords? Certainly the drow of the Twisted Tower, but there was also a False Lord of the Shadowdale

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  20:20:25  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

It was a sessation (if that is the right word). Thay did not try to overthrow Mulhorand, rather they tried to get away so to speak

Subject to debate, I would say - the original Red Wizards Sect rebelled against the God-Kings because they found the theological rule was oppressive and stymied theire research. But a sect of Wizards probably does not qualify as "ordinary folk."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  20:55:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Subject to debate, I would say - the original Red Wizards Sect rebelled against the God->>Kings because they found the theological rule was oppressive and stymied theire research. >>But a sect of Wizards probably does not qualify as "ordinary folk."

Preach it brother of the crimson cloth! Just because the Mulhorandi were religious leaders doesn't mean they didn't try to control the lives of the Thayans.

As a side note, a somewhat (vaguely) similar thing happened in Damara when the citadel of assassins came in and wiped the Damaran nobility out in one fell swoop. Granted, they were hired by the red wizard, Zhengyi the Witch-King, to do it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

szasstamsgroupie
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  07:18:25  Show Profile  Visit szasstamsgroupie's Homepage Send szasstamsgroupie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are looking to make a campaign out of it (with no history of this as of yet), Thay's economy is based on slaves. If they were to have an uprising it would really suck. Even though all of the Red Wizards could just zap them, it could have the potential to kill the economy. Oohhhh.... I could see it now. Thay in a great depression. Szass Tam begging the Simbul for scraps from the table. He he he. Like that would ever happen.

Talk nerdy to me, baby!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  07:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by szasstamsgroupie

If you are looking to make a campaign out of it (with no history of this as of yet), Thay's economy is based on slaves. If they were to have an uprising it would really suck. Even though all of the Red Wizards could just zap them, it could have the potential to kill the economy. Oohhhh.... I could see it now. Thay in a great depression. Szass Tam begging the Simbul for scraps from the table. He he he. Like that would ever happen.

and then Tam would just cast Animate dead on the corpses of the slain slaves and create a Zombie/Skeleton workforce to replace the slaves

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  17:22:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

and then Tam would just cast Animate dead on the corpses of the slain slaves and create a Zombie/Skeleton workforce to replace the slaves

Yeah... Or they'd go out and buy more slaves, or forcibly capture more. Their economy would take a hit, but a slave uprising, by itself, isn't going to be anything more than a temporary setback.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  00:22:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Yeah... Or they'd go out and buy more slaves, or forcibly capture more. Their economy would take a hit, but a slave uprising, by itself, isn't going to be anything more than a temporary setback.

Indeed.

As well, I sincerely doubt that most of the Thayvan trading enclaves that have now popped up across the Realms, were exclusively built for legal and authorised trading within the cities they are located in. The Guild of Foreign Trade has now ensured a stable and more efficient backbone network for the potential hiring/trading of new and cheap slave labor forces through the use of these enclaves. Waterdeep's enclave, and its subtle connection to Skullport is proof of that.

I'd imagine this is a practice duplicated in most lawful cities, that also contain Thayvan trading enclaves, but where the trading of slaves is illegal. Whether its portals to a "darker part of the city", or beneath its streets, or perhaps to a specially crafted pocket demiplane attached to a portal within the enclave... the Thayvans will find ways around the laws that prohibit the legal sale of slaves.

And as such, I don't believe there would be sufficient long-term impact to the slave-driven economy of Thay.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Nov 2006 00:24:31
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  06:15:51  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You can't have a workable economy using undead... skeletons don't have too many ranks in Craft or Profession, and those intelligent undead who 'could' have ranks in that are, well, always distracted by either bloodlust, the thought of sucking sweet, swweeeet bone marrow, or other distracting things of the genre.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  06:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People with Craft or Profession Skills arent likely to be slaves there likely to be Thays equivelent of a middle class. Skeletons and Zombies are quite capable of tending farms and digging ditches in fact of you check out the Novel Red Magic their doing exactly that

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Romaal
Acolyte

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  11:29:35  Show Profile Send Romaal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's about Unther? They're fighting against their occupiers. I think you could call that a rise of the people against the invaders.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000