Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Yugoloth Big Baddies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  12:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Alright, so I can go ahead and start putting the official touches on the Redeemers of Dawn, I'm in need of a Yugoloth baddie for them.

So post some suggestions to me, I've not got any Yugoloth books, but will poke around if I find something of interest.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 06 Nov 2006 12:49:00

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  13:13:02  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Redeemers of Dawn?
Please explain. Thx.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Nov 2006 13:13:17
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  14:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The monster manual 3 has a number of Yugoloths in it (particularly canoloths, mezzoloths, nycaloths and ultroloths), the Ultroloth has a nice ring to it for a big baddy too
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  14:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some unique Faerunian yugoloth menaces:

Kexxon is the leader of the yugoloths in the Blood Rift.
Inthracis and Bubonis are just below him.
You can read about Inthracis here: http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards...resurrectioncp
And you can read the sample chapter of Resurrection that wizards has posted here: http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Downloa..._177260000.zip
Which discusses the Blood Rift home of the yugoloths and touches on Kexxon and Bubonis briefly.

Over in the Barrens of Doom & Despair there is Malkizid. He rules the Pits of the Yugoloths in the Barrens. He has a big write up in Champions of Ruin, and there is more info about him in Lost Empires of Faerun.

And, although I think they might be dead, there were the Khovanilessa (Trio Nefarious), three nycaloths whose armies overwhelmed Myth Drannor and caused its fall.

Their names were Aulmpiter, Gaulguth, and Malimshaer. You can read about them here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...050202a&page=4

Perhaps the Trio Nefarious are not all dead. Maybe one or more found a way to come back from their deaths.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  14:55:53  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

The monster manual 3 has a number of Yugoloths in it (particularly canoloths, mezzoloths, nycaloths and ultroloths), the Ultroloth has a nice ring to it for a big baddy too

So does the Fiend Folio (piscoloth and skeroloth) but neither are much of a challange to high levle pcs.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  15:05:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

And, although I think they might be dead, there were the Khovanilessa (Trio Nefarious), three nycaloths whose armies overwhelmed Myth Drannor and caused its fall.

Their names were Aulmpiter, Gaulguth, and Malimshaer. You can read about them here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...050202a&page=4

Perhaps the Trio Nefarious are not all dead. Maybe one or more found a way to come back from their deaths.

Actually I used such a hook in my campaign. One of the trio (Gaulguth) was bound and imprisoned in a mysterious laboratory in the Underdark beneath the southeastern forest of Cormanthyr. My party "stumbled" into it. The key for his freedom was to bring the first person who asked one of the lost ruler's blades of Cormanthyr (in this case the warblade). However one had to ask the proper question in proper wording in the proper language. The PCs did not solve the "puzzle" to get it all right - so no new blade wielder emerged that day (left aside that the blade would have excepted any of the party members and the nycoloth would not have cheated them somehow.)

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Nov 2006 15:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  15:20:46  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool encounter
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  15:54:22  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cool encounter

It was indeed - especially when the party tried to get some useful informaton from the greedy and moody (or should I say insane) spectre mage who named this lab his home or his apprentaince of which only his skull and similar insane conscience was left.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  15:54:46  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Redeemers of Dawn?
Please explain. Thx.

Neriandal Freit has discussed this order at candlekeep, there are about four threads that are displayed by site search. The order is Neriandal Freit's creation and not a canon order in servive to Lathander.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  17:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Concering Malkizid, he also features in the Last Mythal trilogy, if you should be interested in how he worked his woes in recent times.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  17:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Redeemers of Dawn?
Please explain. Thx.

Neriandal Freit has discussed this order at candlekeep, there are about four threads that are displayed by site search. The order is Neriandal Freit's creation and not a canon order in servive to Lathander.

Aww, thanks Kent!

I've discussed and have mentioned this order many times on Candlekeep and originally on Wizards forum. But, like I've said, this should be one of the last topics mentioning the Redeemers as I hope to have them out in the Compendium or another way (being that I've wrote just a bit about them...) soon for play and enjoyment...

Edit: Since I forgot to talk about the said things so far...

Thanks for posting here about the Trio and others also Rich, much appreciated. Like I said over on Wizards, Malkizid is just to commonly used for me to really want to make as a leader-boss of the Redeemers. I will/am considering Inthracis due to his love of the undead, etc. which would work well into the entire thing really.

The Trio really wouldn't work for anything here because I am attempting to make this as cannon-like for the Realms. I want those who read it to think it's real realms lore, and that the Redeemers are actually around and secretly serve Lathander. They haven't came back from the dead yet, and I'm not about to do that either (untill they decide to threaten Myth Drannor again, which then...)

Certain yugoloth monsters again really couldn't work because I am seeking the bosses, the rulers of areas who have some interest in Toril/Faerun like any demon or devil ruler would.

It's all about making it feel real and cannon, not writing up my own world in Toril. It's for the users of Keep and those who will be interested from it in the Wizards forum (who ergo will become Keep family )

If anyone has any questions, please ask. I am and will tell you as much as I can as my own personal NDA's will bar me from saying to much about my project so I don't ruin it for everyone.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 06 Nov 2006 18:04:09
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  19:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might consider Bubonis. Presumably a Faerunian incarnation of Bubonix from the Great Wheel, you could look up Bubonix sources for guidance but no real need for Bubonis to be similar to the Great Wheel counterpart. Nothing has ever been done with Bubonis except for the brief mention in Resurrection. You could make Bubonis all your own. There is no lore to contradict anything you come up with.
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  19:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You might consider Bubonis. Presumably a Faerunian incarnation of Bubonix from the Great Wheel, you could look up Bubonix sources for guidance but no real need for Bubonis to be similar to the Great Wheel counterpart. Nothing has ever been done with Bubonis except for the brief mention in Resurrection. You could make Bubonis all your own. There is no lore to contradict anything you come up with.

Oh it's not that contradictions that I'm concerned about. Cause I know as soon as I let the Redeemers go into the big Compendium, that something will come out that will jumble it be it a Novel, sourcebook, etc.etc. It's just getting it as cannon feeling as possible I want.

I'm waiting for the Fiendish Codex to come out about the devils for I can add some more of all of that into it for the most part. I'm sure we'll get the yugoloth expansion of it also, that way Wizards can go "Ha! See, we got Chaotic, Lawful and Neutral. We're good, nothing more, let's move on!".

But, not even Kuje knew of the race of demons that I would enjoy knowing about. Being that I've read throw Fiendish Codex many times over, I 'discovered' a demon lord known as Obox-Ob. It says inside Codex the following:

"Primeval and ruinous, the obyrith prince Obox-Ob was once the Prince of Demons in an ancient age. His power is much diminished today, yet, his lust for it's return grows with every passing second. He is the lord of vermin and patron of those who see divinity in their repugnant frames,"

I am most interested in the bolded part, the obyrith race. They put that race in here for a reason, and they've peaked my interest with that race in general as more types of fiends, the better! I know that they once ruled the Abyss before the whole "Queen of Chaos" came about, but none the less I would enjoy a Fiendish Codex, or something close to it.

Edit: Of course, I also want a Celestial Codex now since I can, and would, use just as much of all of that as I am with the fiends. Basically the only fiendish book I haven't obtained yet, but will in due time, is Fiend Folio. Shocking I know

Edit Edit: Before it's asked, I've got all the following. *indicates a third party book. Both are very excellent for general ideas and demon/devil/yugoloth usage. The first includes Lords of each type of fiend with good detail.

"The Book of Fiends" *
"Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss"
"Book of Vile Darkness"
"Book of Exalted Deeds"
"Champions of Ruin"
"Champions of Valor"
"Demons Hunter's Handbook" *
"Warriors of Heaven"

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 06 Nov 2006 19:23:14
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  02:27:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

I am most interested in the bolded part, the obyrith race. They put that race in here for a reason, and they've peaked my interest with that race in general as more types of fiends, the better! I know that they once ruled the Abyss before the whole "Queen of Chaos" came about, but none the less I would enjoy a Fiendish Codex, or something close to it.

They're also discussed, briefly, in Dagon's write-up in Dragon 349.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  09:08:03  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Primeval and ruinous, the obyrith prince Obox-Ob was once the Prince of Demons in an ancient age. His power is much diminished today, yet, his lust for it's return grows with every passing second. He is the lord of vermin and patron of those who see divinity in their repugnant frames,"

If you haven't noticed yet, they were created by Baernaloths, when General of Gehenna (FR Kexxon) purged the chaos out of yugoloths with Heart of Darkness, more about yugoloths and fiends you can find in Faces of Evil (2E, Planescape). I've recently used one yugoloth villain, it was an aspect of Maeldur et Kavurik, a fallen solar that was transformed by night hags into an altraloth. My PCs were very scared

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  11:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I knew of the ancient baernaloth's also. Kuje has told me of Faces of Evil has alot of stuff dealing with the yuggie's, but, costs 40.00 or so to get, and I'm a bit "but it doesn't have the same feeling!" when it comes to the PDF files.

Naturally however Kuje owns that ;)

But please, keep the ideas coming or suggestions. I'd rather not have to wait much longer to get these guys out.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000