Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Shadowbred: Prologue and Chapters 1 - 4
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  16:51:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Shadowbred (Book 1 of The Twilight War trilogy), by Paul S. Kemp. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 4 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  17:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'll be starting this off then since for some reason it was released a bit early in my neck of the woods. Have to say that I love it thus far... The mood is really sinister and dark and I like the way Mr Kemp is portraying the princes of shade as I always thought that they deserved more of the spotlight. I have to say that I haven't read the Cale trilogy or the Sembia novels but I think I'll have to get them based on this.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  18:39:56  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those participating in the book club this month, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and answering questions. "Shadowbred" contains some things that I think are departures from my previous work (in fact, in at least two ways the book departs significantly from the WotC style guide).

I hope you enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  01:29:46  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Kemp,
I have just started the book; so far I am enjoying it. I have always enjoyed Erevis Cale as a character. I must say that as villians go the followers of Shar are nasty and I do not understand them at all... Their ultimate goals and aims are so alien to normal human goals and desires... I am very much missing Cales best friend, I really liked the interplay between them. The only other comment I have so far is the portrayal of the Shadovar Princes, as Besshalar mentioned above; they are very sinister and arrogant. There is no doubt in their mind that they have the right to reclaim the lands of Nehteril(and any others they want...) I love the way that Telamont expresses isgust with how backward the people of Faerun are after "Netheril handed them all the knowledge of magic they should have needed". (My paraphrasing) He even disparages the elves for not being more advanced! Very cool conversation!

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  14:20:02  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shadowjack,

The Princes of Shade are among the most fun "villains" I've ever written. I hope they hold your interest.

Among the antagonists I've written, perhaps only Azriim from the Cale trilogy made me smile as much (though Azriim made me smile more with wicked glee, whereas the Princes and Telamont make me shake my head, smile softly and sadly, and say: "Cripes, these guys are freakin' hardcore.")

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 05 Nov 2006 14:22:40
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  11:17:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was an absolutely excellent start to the book. First off, just let me say that anyone that harbors any fears about the book not potentially taking into account some of the major events in Faerun, your fears are put away rather quickly, as soon as Telemont and Rivalen summarize events across Faerun.

There are just a lot of brilliant vignettes as we get ready to move deeper into the story. I loved the illusory Elminster, and Brennus' watching it anyway since he was so impressed with the quality of Elminster's scrying wards. I also really liked the scene of Magadon working as a guide again, and the quick summary of his last year. I was still a little wary of Mags at the end of the last trilogy, wondering what his "angle" was, and yet, this bit summed him up very well.

I would rave about the prologue, but I did that when it was first released. On top of that, its facinating that the Chosen of Mask is currently ignoring his god. I love that idea, and its one of the more facinating aspects of Cale. I am looking forward to finding out more about Varra though. I was wondering how Jak's death would affect Cale, since Jak seemed to be the "humanizing" element in his life, what kept him from going too far over the edge. It seems Jak's memory is still serving that function, but he hasn't let Varra in enough for her to help in that regard.

Its great to get to see some individual personality quirks in the Princes. I love Rivalen's coin collection and Brennus' facination with constructs, and their conversations with one another. Its good to see them get the spotlight and some personality work, and I'm also glad to see that the events of Mistress of the Night were worked so seamlessly into this story (and since I have to get to work, I'll have to leave that as it is, but it leads me to want to comment on why I loved shared worlds).

More thoughts after work . . . great start!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  13:58:05  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
KEjr,

Glad to see you in the Club! I'm also glad you've enjoyed what you've read so far.

The Princes (esp. Rivalen and Brennus) and Telamont are a lot of fun to write. I wanted very much to get into their personalities and individual motivations. In particular, I didn't want them be easy substitutes for one another in the readers' minds (i.e., it is not true that Rivalen is necessarily motivated by the same things as Telemont, or Brennus, or Yder, or what have you). We tend to refer to them as a collective, "The Princes of Shade," as if they are monolithic or of one mind. They may agree on many things, and they are ultimately family and bound to serve Telamont, but they are not of one mind on everything. I hope that comes through over the course of the trilogy.

Rivalen (who is the "star" of the antagonists) is really a character that I enjoy.

I'll be curious to see how readers perceive them as the book moves along.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  14:06:17  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

That was an absolutely excellent start to the book. First off, just let me say that anyone that harbors any fears about the book not potentially taking into account some of the major events in Faerun, your fears are put away rather quickly, as soon as Telemont and Rivalen summarize events across Faerun.

I try to be cognizant of other books/series, and to weave things together as best I can, but in truth I had a lot of help with that on Shadowbred -- from my editor (Phil Athans), Eric Boyd (who read an early draft), George Krashos (who didn't read the novel but who made a few key suggestions that I worked in), and Don Bassingthwaite (who gave me some insight on some tie-in issues from Mistress of the Night).

Anyway, I'm glad you noticed. With an exception or two, none of those events are integral to the events in the Twilight War, but working in references and consequences does give the whole of the thing a more cohesive feel.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 10 Nov 2006 01:26:18
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  01:09:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the topic of a cohesive feel:

Its hard to explain to anyone that doesn't "get" shared world books, but as much as its great to have wonderful authors like Paul (and he is great, by the way), part of the thrill of a shared world is seeing how one author will take what might be just background material or a throw away comment in one book, and turn that into a major plot point in a later book. I think it also makes the world feel more alive and "real" to have different authors, operating in different parts of the setting, juggling some storylines that keep the world moving forward. Its also interesting to see how consistantly the authors can manage the characters that they are sharing with others.

I realize that this kind of writing must be a great challenge, because not only is the author trying to tell a good story, and create interesting characters, as any author would, but he is also looking for ways to tie this story into the overall world, and double checking to make sure he isn't backtracking over something established, and making sure that characters and regions are being portrayed in a way that is consistant with other portrayals of the same.

Its actually rather amazing to read books that are a part of this kind of environment, and its one of the reasons that, no matter how much I might appreciate a given writers style and skill, I love the idea of many writers working together to make up the . . . ahem . . . weave of the Realms, rather than only having one author directing its fate. Do I want a consistant voice and feel for the Realms? Oh, definately, but that consistant voice is so much more satisfying when its a choir of voices sining in tune than just one talented singer . . . if you take my meaning.

At any rate, I'm pretty happy that after only reading the first section of the book I am reminded of this particular aspect of why I love the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Valaxaxath
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  01:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Valaxaxath's Homepage Send Valaxaxath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say, I really like the way Rivalen was written. Not just another "zomg i r teh archwizard", but a fully fleshed out character, qith human quirks. His set in his goals, and will go through any means to get accomplish his goals... but he still has a heart (sorta). He actively cares about his servents lives, and even while carrying out his "duty" to shar, he doesn't want the victims of his plans to suffer needlessly. That, and he's a coin collector. Finally, a villan with a hobby that doesn't include raising mutant monsters or killing people. It also humanizes him quite a bit imho, showing that even a 2000 yr old shadow infused archwizard can be a normal guy once on awhile.

When you're not regular, eat an elf! They're full of fiber.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  14:10:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valaxaxath

It also humanizes him quite a bit imho, showing that even a 2000 yr old shadow infused archwizard can be a normal guy once on awhile.

V,

I'm glad that worked for you. As I mentioned above, Rivalen is the star antagonists (along with Mirabeta and Elyril), so it is important to the story that he be much more than a bogyman.

Incidentally, I wrote on my blog that the four main characters in this novel would, in another set of circumstances, be great friends and allies because they share some fundamental personality traits. In this book, it is the fundamental differences in their motivations that set them apart, but those motivations are not a function of their personalities, but circumstance. The four I mean are Cale, Rivalen, Abelar, and Riven.
Go to Top of Page

darkkage
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  22:32:55  Show Profile  Visit darkkage's Homepage Send darkkage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick question Mr. Kemp,
The shadovar say that they cant make new mythallar because of Mystiria's Denial. But they use the Shadow Weave under the control of Shar. Why Should Mystiria's Denial have any effect on them? Is Shar also not allowing 11th leval spells to make new mythallar?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2006 :  00:14:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkkage

Quick question Mr. Kemp,
The shadovar say that they cant make new mythallar because of Mystiria's Denial. But they use the Shadow Weave under the control of Shar. Why Should Mystiria's Denial have any effect on them? Is Shar also not allowing 11th leval spells to make new mythallar?

Well, the Shadow Weave sits in the interstices of the Weave. To the extent a portion of the Weave is made unavailable due to Mystra's Denial, then it seems to me that the interstices of that portion of the Weave are likewise made unavailable. In that way, Mystra's Denial indirectly denies 10th level and higher spells to even those who cast using the Shadow Weave.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 11 Nov 2006 00:37:55
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2006 :  02:55:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, that is the best, most susscinct explanation of that particular topic that I have seen in what has become many years worth of discussions on the Weave/Shadow Weave. The best answers are the most easily summed up . . .
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  23:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well like KnightErrantJR, I also made comment about the prologue when it was released online at WotC, but i'll make a few comments about it whilst i'm here

Great start! The atmosphere is great and I like how it was written partially from Aril's point of view. The way some things are described and how some comparisons are made to elements of his life is quite clever, such as the description of the trolls. Made me laugh too about how he ran through gnats with his mouth open I wonder Paul, is this from a personal childhood memory? Loved the whole scene anyway... Cale's appearance works out perfectly. It's hard to believe he was once the butler for Thamalon.

Onto chapter 1, the recap and brief history lesson about the Shades, the Netherese Enclaves, Karsus etc. was very worthwhile and considerate to fans who have come in quite new to the Realms and those unfamiliar with this back history.

Nice return to familar characters from the last book and also RotAW. It took a few moments for me to realise it was Ssessimyth and then all the memories can flooding back

Rivalen is great! I'm know i'm going to really enjoy reading of this character. It was a nice touch too when he felt "pangs of regret" when some of his loyal crew were lost. I guess it shows him not to be a villain as such, and to have feelings and respect for those who serve him (unlike the stereotypical evil tyrant warlord).

The realisation of what Rivalen wanted to do with Sakkors has really set the scene and i'm quite excited to see what happens with this.

The revisit to Shade was great too. Hadrhune is an old favorite of mine too so i'm very happy he's made a reappearance.

I liked how Telamont mentioned that Shade was being blamed for the incidents with the Phaerimm

So i've not had chance to read much so far, but i'm loving it even so

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2006 :  23:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valaxaxath

I have to say, I really like the way Rivalen was written. Not just another "zomg i r teh archwizard", but a fully fleshed out character, qith human quirks. His set in his goals, and will go through any means to get accomplish his goals... but he still has a heart (sorta). He actively cares about his servents lives, and even while carrying out his "duty" to shar, he doesn't want the victims of his plans to suffer needlessly. That, and he's a coin collector. Finally, a villan with a hobby that doesn't include raising mutant monsters or killing people. It also humanizes him quite a bit imho, showing that even a 2000 yr old shadow infused archwizard can be a normal guy once on awhile.

Just reading through other posts after posting mine and it appears that it wasn't just me who picked up on Rivalen's considerate character I agree with you completely here, Valaxaxath. Straight away Rivalen has been written as a much deeper character and has so much more dimension than most villains you read of.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2006 :  13:46:44  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Made me laugh too about how he ran through gnats with his mouth open I wonder Paul, is this from a personal childhood memory?

Well, I've inadvertently eaten my share of bugs, but nothing like Aril's experience.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  09:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I am wondering what you had to do so that the pagecount of your book wasn't limited to 312 .

The map on the first page is great (I love maps), the prologue (which I haven't read beforehand) gives you a view of how normal people see Cale now (which is quite sobering after the last trilogy). The constant references to other trilogies and characters is something that I love about the Realms, although it's probably getting more and more difficult to get everything right.
As I'm writting these lines, I was wondering if there were any incidents at the City of Shade in the Year of Rogue Dragons. Or were the dragons sensible enough to avoid certain death at the hands of the Shadow Weave?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 15 Nov 2006 09:45:30
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  22:18:35  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

Paul, I am wondering what you had to do so that the pagecount of your book wasn't limited to 312 .

The map on the first page is great (I love maps), the prologue (which I haven't read beforehand) gives you a view of how normal people see Cale now (which is quite sobering after the last trilogy). The constant references to other trilogies and characters is something that I love about the Realms, although it's probably getting more and more difficult to get everything right.
As I'm writting these lines, I was wondering if there were any incidents at the City of Shade in the Year of Rogue Dragons. Or were the dragons sensible enough to avoid certain death at the hands of the Shadow Weave?

Braveheart,

I'd defer to Eric Boyd (who did substantial work on the Realmswide effects of the dracorage in "Dragons of Faerun") on that question. In my mind, the answer is: Perhaps, but nothing Telemont and the Twelve couldn't handle.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  23:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Onto chapter 2: Great scene where Rivalen kills Selkirk. Very clean and tailored. His facination for coins is quite a nice touch to his character too. The bit with stripping out his shadow to do his bidding was also really well done. I'm really enjoying this character

One thing i'll say about the book so far is that it's got a much darker and eerie feel to it (although I get that in all Paul's books). The feeling and flavour of Shar really comes through, and a nice feel of organization and co-operation when it mentioned how Rivalen united all the Sharran cells in Sembia.

Paul, you mentioned before about stepping away from WotC's style guide...is this their code of ethics too? I wondered how the minddust was received by WotC, as it's quite a taboo subject as far as WotC novels have been in the past?

Quite a tense moment with the servant being pressured into taking some minddust too. I loved when Kefil ripped into his shadow! Damn scary too!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  23:49:39  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! I was waiting for Magadon to turn up ever since the mention of the "mind mage" earlier. Again, a nice subtle mention of past events with the slaad, sojourner, Riven etc. as Magadon is introduced.

I was totally engrossed in this chapter with reading of the merchants and how Magadon tried to place an illusion over his horns. Very eerie scene when the camp goes quiet!

Nice to catch up with Cale again in chapter 4, and with Varra too, who i'd completely forgotten about. Quite a solemn mood in this scene.

I loved how the scene with Magadon was written (first person), and how it was all surreal. I could feel the tension and fear as he didn't understand all his physical changes and then jumped up at the hatch in the door! eek!

And again, thrown into a chapter cliffhanger!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  11:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Braveheart,

I'd defer to Eric Boyd (who did substantial work on the Realmswide effects of the dracorage in "Dragons of Faerun") on that question. In my mind, the answer is: Perhaps, but nothing Telemont and the Twelve couldn't handle.

Thanks for the tip!
But what about the length of the book? Is this a new doctrine by WotC?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  13:46:11  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the tip!

Sorry, BH. I missed that one.

350-odd pages is standard for RSE trilogies (which this is). Otherwise, the 312-320 range is standard.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  14:20:37  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I loved how the scene with Magadon was written (first person), and how it was all surreal. I could feel the tension and fear as he didn't understand all his physical changes and then jumped up at the hatch in the door! eek!

LR,

I'm really pleased to hear that the first person worked for you. Conveniently enought, the first person issue relates to your question about deviation from the style guide. Ordinarily, WotC discourages first person altogether (except for an occasional short story) and certainly discourages moving from third past to first present in the same novel. So that's one thing. There is yet another deviation forthcoming (this one of subject matter), but I don't want to ruin it for you by mentioning it.

As for the drug use, that's never been an issue. Of course, I don't glorify it or dwell on it (except in Elyril's case, since she's an addict). Instead, it is portrayed as a weakness/flaw.

quote:

The feeling and flavour of Shar really comes through, and a nice feel of organization and co-operation when it mentioned how Rivalen united all the Sharran cells in Sembia.

Another neat (at least I think so) crossover -- read page 88 (I think) of Champions of Ruin. There are a lot of "Shadowbred" plot points implied/raised in that entry about Shar (note the mention of the mysterious priest, the secret temple, etc.).

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 16 Nov 2006 14:23:40
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  19:04:05  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great story so far. I liked it from the start.
Tomorrow I`ll be going to England for the weekend and will take the book with me.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  00:18:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another neat (at least I think so) crossover -- read page 88 (I think) of Champions of Ruin. There are a lot of "Shadowbred" plot points implied/raised in that entry about Shar (note the mention of the mysterious priest, the secret temple, etc.).

'Twas pg. 88.

There's a little on pg. 89 also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Atticus
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  01:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Atticus's Homepage Send Atticus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, the Shadow Weave sits in the interstices of the Weave. To the extent a portion of the Weave is made unavailable due to Mystra's Denial, then it seems to me that the interstices of that portion of the Weave are likewise made unavailable. In that way, Mystra's Denial indirectly denies 10th level and higher spells to even those who cast using the Shadow Weave.

I had a question about this.
To be up to speed on the Shadovar I read Return of the Archwizards right before Shadowbred came out and this quote is confusing me.

In ROTA it said that Mystra's Denial was a hoax and the real reason why high level spells were no longer possible was not because Mystra dosent allow it, it was because when Shar split the Weave after Karsus's death neather the Weave or the Shadow Weave could support high level spells because it is the Origanal Weave split in two, making both sides weaker.

Does this mean the Shadovar are unaware about this or is ROTA wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  09:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks for the tip!

Sorry, BH. I missed that one.

350-odd pages is standard for RSE trilogies (which this is). Otherwise, the 312-320 range is standard.

Ah, I could've thought about that myself... Thanks Paul!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  12:43:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Atticus

In ROTA it said that Mystra's Denial was a hoax and the real reason why high level spells were no longer possible was not because Mystra dosent allow it, it was because when Shar split the Weave after Karsus's death neather the Weave or the Shadow Weave could support high level spells because it is the Origanal Weave split in two, making both sides weaker.

Does this mean the Shadovar are unaware about this or is ROTA wrong?

It means that the lore provided in ROTA may be wrong on the basis that the person who said it might be wrong or saying deliberate untruths. There's a difference between a character of the Realms stating a 'truth' and a real person or gaming sourcebook making a comment on an aspect of the Realms. It's called the 'unreliable narrator' and it's not used enough in the Realms where absolutes are dangerously low on wiggle-room quotient.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  14:02:43  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It means that the lore provided in ROTA may be wrong on the basis that the person who said it might be wrong or saying deliberate untruths. There's a difference between a character of the Realms stating a 'truth' and a real person or gaming sourcebook making a comment on an aspect of the Realms. It's called the 'unreliable narrator' and it's not used enough in the Realms where absolutes are dangerously low on wiggle-room quotient.

-- George Krashos

Quite so on all counts.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  03:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I received this novel today and have some first thoughts after not putting it down until the end of chapter 4 (which I did because my girlfriend icily informed me I should have been shaved, showered and ready to go half-an-hour earlier...ahem...)

Iīll be honest. Neither ROTA, nor the whole City of Shade Storyline were in any way among my favourites in the Realms. Neither made it into my home campaign so far, and I didnīt really care about any characters associated with it. So I was a bit "hmm..." on the premise for the trilogy (without wanting to knock anybody who worked on those materials off). It was like "all right, I ainīt into the Shade Stuff, but I like Paul Kempīs writing and even Shade-Stuff couldnīt kill my love for his char Cale" (though I was sceptical at first tbh).

Now, and this ainīt fanboy suck-up, but it took you just one chapter to hook me onto the two princes. Seriously, all the praise about their characters written before my post, about Rivalenīs depth especially, and the fact that you showed them (and later other "antagonists" as real individuals with individual goals and motivations, individual vices and flaws/strengths) just made it really sizzle for me and made me care about them. They are royally rocking "villains" and you sure show different shades of dark. And the plots and goals of the City of Shade (inasfar as they are mentioned up to here)were represented and brought in in a way that I finally gave a damn about them (and it might be a big one, too).
Makes me almost happy Jakīs not around, but happily enjoying afterlife...I shudder to think what could be in store for him in this trilogy.

I equally loved the depth of lore, references to other works and summarizations. Plunged me right into the middle of things and instantly made me want to re-read your last trilogy (and even give ROTA a second read - and this is one my main love-points in a shared world experience as a reader).

And one more thing...opening up so many intriguing questions in the first few chapters of a novel and making me care about itīs main characters promises interesting sub-plots and secrets to be unraveled with further reading, which is something that really gets me into a novel/trilogy. So Iīm a happy camper in that department, too.

The prologue (which I hadnīt read before) was awesome, canīt remember ever finding trolls in a novel so scary. And Cale? Letīs just say viewing him through the young halflingīs eyes was quite a re-introduction to the character, immediately raising a screaming gaggle of questions and establishing just how much has happened to Cale so far, but that the character still has a lot of potential (you sort of did that for me with Riven by introducing his dogs last time, btw). Still digging Cale? Check!

So, to summarize these first impressions...

Holy Kemp! I love it, and I wouldnīt have expected to do so (story wise). You excel in the shady style (excuse the pun) of writing and I am very happily surprised to find so many "colours" in the shadows.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000