Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Known Dwarven Clans from Ammarindar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  00:40:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wondering if any dwarven clans, other than the ruling one, was ever mentioned as having been from Ammarindar.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  06:23:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not officially that I recall, although upcoming stuff in Dragon might mention something on Ammarindar. Maybe. Just goes to show what little real information we have on dwarves as opposed to the elves. Even less for gnomes and halflings. Power to the little people!

Edit: IIRC "Cormanthyr" talks about how some clans from Ammarindar migrate to Myth Drannor.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 02 Nov 2006 06:24:39
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  07:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sad plight of the Dwarves indeed. I'm a huge Elf fan but the Dwarves need some face time badly.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  08:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One would think with the retcon thunderblessing and all that dwarves would get more attention, but unless the next RSE is the reclamation of Shanatar and the severe butt-kicking of the races that had conquered the area (be they surface or Underdark) I fear not much will happen.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  09:42:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I was just wondering if any dwarven clans, other than the ruling one, was ever mentioned as having been from Ammarindar.

In what sourcebook did you find the mentioning of the the ruing clan in the first place? Or is the name of the realm the same as that of the ruling clan - Ammarindar?

However, Dwarves Deep has an article with the names of last kings/queens and history of that lost dwarven realm.

Edit:
Further, some minor information about Ammarindar and magic items of the realm can be found in the Dungeon Crawl Adventure Hellgate Keep.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 02 Nov 2006 09:55:39
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  09:46:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Edit: IIRC "Cormanthyr" talks about how some clans from Ammarindar migrate to Myth Drannor.

-- George Krashos

It does but without much going into detail. It only gives the year of the migration nad the number of clans (3), not all from Ammarindar but from Citadell Felbarr as well.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  13:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that rebel dwarf priest of Moradin in Llorkh is related to the Ammarindar royality..but I could be wrong..

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  15:17:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Why George, that is exactly why I am interested in said clans
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  15:59:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

In what sourcebook did you find the mentioning of the the ruing clan in the first place? Or is the name of the realm the same as that of the ruling clan - Ammarindar?

However, Dwarves Deep has an article with the names of last kings/queens and history of that lost dwarven realm.

Edit:
Further, some minor information about Ammarindar and magic items of the realm can be found in the Dungeon Crawl Adventure Hellgate Keep.

You make a good point. When I was posting this, I had scoured Dwarves Deep, Lost Empires of Faerun, Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, and Underdark, and I knew that some of the royalty of the Realm had been named, but in going back and looking at the references, I they were all named by their first name, and even their clan name is not given.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  22:16:27  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a prevalent problem with specific information on dwarven clans, and dwarves in general. When hints are dropped in the sourcebooks, it would be nice to have a few names. I understand that many players like to use their own information and ideas, but in a setting like the Forgotten Realms there should always be some basic names and information that links everyone's ideas together.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Surly Dwarf
Acolyte

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  06:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Surly Dwarf's Homepage Send Surly Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it specifies which clan came from where but the clans mentioned as going to Myth Drannor were Snowsbattle and Honedaxe, cannot recall a third name but they were probably the ones kicked out for mining under Myth Drannor.
Seemes a little odd to me that Ammarindar has become a fallen but once powerful kingdom when back in Dwarves Deep they were described as weak,by Dwarven kingdom standards anyway.

"Governing a large country is like boiling a small fish."
Lao Tzu
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  15:12:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the clan names. I searched back through the timeline in Cormanthyr and found those names in the timeline. I went through there before, but I didn't see those before.

At any rate, I think that discreptancy between how Ammarindar seems to be portrayed depends on how you defend "great." Ammarindar was not militarily powerful like other dwarven nations of their day. They apparently didn't have a powerful standing army, but at the same time they were extreemly rich. Its also interesting that they were more worried about setting up a mage's school to oppose Netheril than having a standing army.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  21:36:33  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First time I ever hear of a dwarven mage school! Really! I thought the stout folk did not really like magic and had/has a rather conservative view on the arcane matters.......

Mmmh - I guess I have to think again!

Go to Top of Page

Surly Dwarf
Acolyte

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  07:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Surly Dwarf's Homepage Send Surly Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The exiled clan is Clan Tarynstone (LEOF pg.128), that may be the third clan.

"Governing a large country is like boiling a small fish."
Lao Tzu
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  08:14:53  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KEJR ... do you have a source you would like to share about Ammarindar and their Acarne willingness??

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  11:06:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xothol, it was mentioned in Lost Empires of Faerun. Don't have it handy at the moment or I'd cite the page number.

Edit: Okay, page 87 of Lost Empires of Faerun mentions Xothol and the explanation behind its founding.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 08 Nov 2006 11:12:46
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  20:36:43  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically that it was founded as fears of Netheril grew, as I recal, and then was shut down after Netheril fell.

Ammarindar and Eaerlann are in much the same boat, I've noticed. They get almost no time allocated to them, even though they survived a century longer than Myth Drannor (Eaerlann was the last genuine elven empire to fall) and almost nothing is known about them. Which gives DM's a lot of flexibility (somethign I've definately taken advantage of in my games), but can still be annoying.

The various products can't even agree on how powerful they were (Eaerlann was called both anemic and a powerhouse in the same product). Personally, I tend toward the more powerful end of the spectrum, simply because I can't see two empires in such a dangerous area (orc horde central) being able to survive nearly 5000 years without a significant military and the civilians to support it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2009 :  05:27:51  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
add Ironfist and Rockfist to those clans as being heirs to the bloodline of Helmma

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2009 :  13:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Source?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2009 :  14:49:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats what I was going to ask.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  19:58:06  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Ironfist are mentioned in relation to Westdelve near Loudwater, but what shows up on Google is Turgo Ironfist.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  20:23:56  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An index I just found had Threlked Ironfist: N:W43, Nikerym Volar 'Ironfist' Honedaxe: FoMD30, Guldagh Ironfist: FR13:33 and Boronuil Ironfist: FR16:10

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2015 :  13:21:15  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about the Firehammer clan (SotSC & VgttSC)?

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 18 Jun 2015 13:21:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000