Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Monster Manual V
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  00:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the guys at Enworld found this

http://www.amazon.ca/Monster-Manual-Supplement-Wizards-Team/dp/0786941154/sr=1-2/qid=1161926003/ref=sr_1_2/701-3831061-1457147?ie=UTF8&s=books

Monster Manual V comes out in July 2007

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  00:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

My word. I thought they would actually stop at volume IV, so i'm quite surprised to see this. Nevertheless, I welcome it as i'm a sucker for monster books

Good find, Dargoth. Now, let's see if we can find out if there's a particular theme or some such to this next collection

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  01:14:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's understandable that the Monster books would continue... especially when you consider the overall success of MMIV. Apparently it hit new sales records for WotC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  03:06:11  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Apparently it hit new sales records for WotC.

That begs the question "why?"

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  03:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting more mileage out of IV now, so I hope they keep things up with V.

It's nice to see more maps in these books (MUCH easier for DMs). I hope to see many high CR creatures.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  04:55:45  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had my gripes with Monster Manual IV. I didn't like the statted MM monsters in it, in part because a lot of them were just characters from the miniatures game given a MM entry. I thought the "Lolth Touched" template was pretty uninspired (Lolth likes you, so you have higher stats). And the Spawn of Tiamat really started to get on my nerves (though my tolerance for the Dragonfall War is much higher now due to Eytan and Eric's great work in Dragons of Faerun).

All of that having been said, I really liked the new evil fey, the new elementals, and the general expanded information format of the book (though I wasn't wild about the sample encounters in a lot of cases, and I thought that only a few creatures really warrented the tactical set up examples). I honestly think that if they can avoid the recycled mini stats, and stay away from monsters that take up a significant portion of the book as the Spawn of Tiamat did, this could be an interesting format to see in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  09:46:49  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Apparently it hit new sales records for WotC.

That begs the question "why?"

*wonders about such news as well*

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Now, let's see if we can find out if there's a particular theme or some such to this next collection

My first guess would be either dragons (again) or drow.

Whatever it is, I will most definitivly give it a glance once it hits the common retailers shelves.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 28 Oct 2006 09:47:50
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  16:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stopped at MMII

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  16:42:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Of course there will be dragons... As I've pointed out before, the two most common types of critters in D&D have been dragons and undead. I like both, but there's a disproportionate amount of both, I think -- especially the undead.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  16:54:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Of course there will be dragons... As I've pointed out before, the two most common types of critters in D&D have been dragons and undead. I like both, but there's a disproportionate amount of both, I think -- especially the undead.

I have to agree with your word here, with all my heart! And especially after MMIV there are too many dragon spawns as well that tend take away the awe from the great and mighty true ones, IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  01:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I agree with Wooly on the undead - "The frozen dessert zombie is a form of undead that comes into being if the creature was eating strawberry ice cream when suddenly being murdered by a one-legged man wielding a staple gun."
Sure, it's a matter of discretion, but something a bit different would be nice.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  07:27:00  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

And I agree with Wooly on the undead - "The frozen dessert zombie is a form of undead that comes into being if the creature was eating strawberry ice cream when suddenly being murdered by a one-legged man wielding a staple gun."
Sure, it's a matter of discretion, but something a bit different would be nice.

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  07:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the (Undead) Drowned were pretty inspired. I know from play experience they're quite deadly, as well.

I didn't even need to add class levels to them to put a scare into a group of Epic PCs.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  09:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

On a related note, I noticed in my FLGS yesterday a "Monster Collection" box set containing MMII,III & IV. I'd never heard of this release before, so it was quite a surprise. Similar to what they did with the "Races of.." tomes...i'd expect something along these lines too for the "Complete..." series.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  22:57:20  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thats just a case of meeting demandm with supple. People love the dead and dragons.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  07:44:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

People love the dead and dragons.

::Hearing Alice Cooper's I Love The Dead in his head now::

At any rate, as Alaundo mentioned above, I fully expect to see a Terrain Gift Set and possibly a "Complete" one, although they seem to like to keep to three book sets in their gift sets, so I don't know if they will alter the format to make one.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  10:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the rate they are going a Complete gift set would already have some 6 volumes to it...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  13:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
has anyone ever noticed if you actually save money (in a significant amount) when you buy a gift set?

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  14:39:53  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

At the rate they are going a Complete gift set would already have some 6 volumes to it...

If they would include the Fiend Folio in it as well we could have reached that goal (6 books) even sooner!

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  17:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now the key question is this:

would they update the FF and MC II to 3.5 if they went ahead and gave us this gift set?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  17:45:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

If they would include the Fiend Folio in it as well we could have reached that goal (6 books) even sooner!

Well met

I stand corrected, FF is actually in the box set, but volume IV is not.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  20:46:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It reached a sales high????? Ok, I'm surprised. I will say monster manual 3 was wonderful, as it seemed like they sat down and said "what don't we have" and tried to fill some holes (i.e. lots of swarms, etc..). I'm sick of new dragons, as my players usually only face two or three dragon encounters in any given campaign. I can kind of understand different undead, but only if they have a significant mechanical difference. Unless I hear some extreme praise for MM 4, I won't be picking it up... and if I don't grab it I don't see me grabbing MM 5.
Conversely, I'm finding that Dragon Magazine is filling in holes for additional creatures at a decent enough pace for me. For instance, they had a recent article on lesser constructs. It was great.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  22:45:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't make an unqualified endorsement of the product. I liked proably a majority of the monsters in it, and I like most of the new format (I'm not sure I like the mini encounters being in there, but I know I didn't like the monsters they chose to use it with, but on the other hand I like having a guide to what knowledge skills provide about the monster, and the tactics and ecology information), but there is a lot that felt like filler that could have been put to better use (orcs with classes, drow with classes, gnolls with classes, ogres with classes, githyanki with classes . . . and all monsters with class levels that showed up on miniature stat cards). In fact, without some of that filler, I think the large portion of the book dedicated to the spawn of Tiamat wouldn't have been as irritating (especially given the fact that they had spawn of Tiamat with class levels as well).

On the other hand, I'm a sucker for elementals and fey, and they did have so interesting examples of fey and elementals that would make great opposition for parties in a campaign, and they did have some good, thought provoking creatures that I may want to use, so I'll likely get this one eventually.

But as I said, definately a mixed review.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000