Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 A Question for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acro
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  14:21:43  Show Profile Send acro a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dear Elaine I just started to read Forgotten realms and I was thinking of writing a book in one of your settings could you drop me a list of settings at Nationjd@aol.com please. Thanks alot I'll run the details by you before i finish it so thanks alot Elaine. Bye.

Mod Edit: Just fixed this scroll's "unmoderated" status

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Oct 2006 15:32:53

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  16:45:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, acro. Welcome to Candlekeep.

While I'm honored that you enjoyed my stories enough to want to write your own in this setting, the Forgotten Realms is not "my" setting. It's the copyrighted property of Wizards of the Coast, the publisher. WotC decides who writes in the Realms. Publication elsewhere, including fanfic posted online, is a violation of copyright.

That said, there's no reason why you can't write stories set in the Realms for your own enjoyment, as long as you don't publish them. The problem with this, where I'm concerned at least, is that I don't read other writers' unpublished work--especially when a shared world is involved. Maintaining continuity in a world this big is difficult enough without tucking non-official stories and ideas into my memory banks. There are also possible copyright implications, and the limitations imposed by 24/7.

Sorry I couldn't give you the answer you wanted. If you're interested in writing for the Realms, stop by the official WotC website (www.wizards.com) and read their submission guidelines. It's also a good idea to visit the site frequently to keep an eye out for contests, open calls, and other opportunities.

Best,
ec

Go to Top of Page

fmacdonald
Acolyte

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  00:42:27  Show Profile  Visit fmacdonald's Homepage Send fmacdonald a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good thing to do,would be to pick up as many source books as you can, and, as Elaine said, check out the wizards submisson guidlines. Your best bet, if you are serious, is to write short stories, and make damn sure they stick to the lore in the source books. Wizards seem to be launching a lot of new authors with their Ebberon setting. Also, play as much D&D in your perspective setting as you can. You should be an authority on the setting. Have you read many realms books? My favourites have been ones that fill me in on some aspect of the realms that I wasn't aware of, or gave me some tidbit of interesting history.

www.myspace.com/deathsheadmusic - If you have a myspace account and are into this "heavy metal" and "punk rock" thing the kids are listening to now, check out my band.

Edited by - fmacdonald on 12 Oct 2006 00:51:15
Go to Top of Page

fmacdonald
Acolyte

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  00:51:51  Show Profile  Visit fmacdonald's Homepage Send fmacdonald a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for the record, i believe Ed Greenwood created the Forgotten Realms.

www.myspace.com/deathsheadmusic - If you have a myspace account and are into this "heavy metal" and "punk rock" thing the kids are listening to now, check out my band.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  01:24:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fmacdonald

Yes, he did -- in 1967... with the official and published Realms following in 1987.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  12:59:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Yes, he did -- in 1967... with the official and published Realms following in 1987.

Yes, indeedy. Ed as Creator is such a central Truth of the Realms that it didn't occur to me to point it out. Analogy: If a born-again fundamentalist Christain asked me if he could take one of my horses out for a ride, I wouldn't inform him that God created horses on the Sixth Day of creation week. I would assume that he'd already heard this, and tell him that "my" horses were really the property of the guy who owned the ranch.

I wasn't sure what acro meant by "settings," plural, but I assumed he was speaking about some of the locations that show up in my stories (Halruaa, Rashemen, Waterdeep) or some of the characters, not the Realms as a whole. But for the sake of brevity and clarity, my answer addressed the Realms as a collective singular. For someone who's thinking about writing stories set in the Realms, it's important to know that the entire setting and everything in it is copyrighted property.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 12 Oct 2006 13:01:25
Go to Top of Page

acro
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  14:13:33  Show Profile Send acro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea thats what I meant elaine and i was wondering how often does WotC have an open door policy for forgotten realms. I mean when do they hire new writers for the whole thing, when another dies out or what? Sorry for the confusion the rest of you.

Bring out those dusty tomes to be copied.

Edited by - acro on 12 Oct 2006 14:17:36
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  18:36:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by acro

Yea thats what I meant elaine and i was wondering how often does WotC have an open door policy for forgotten realms. I mean when do they hire new writers for the whole thing, when another dies out or what? Sorry for the confusion the rest of you.

WotC occasionally holds open calls, and several of the new writers have come from the pool of submissions. Keep an eye open for these opportunities. You might also want to submit something to WotC's creator-owned line. Sometimes writers are offered a project based on the strength of their writing sample. If I'm not mistaken, this is how Paul Kemp came into the Realms. Bob Salvatore also submitted a writing sample way back when.

There are other paths into the Realms. Some fiction writers start out as game designers: Richard Baker, Thomas Reid, Steven Schend, Jeff Grubb, and Monte Cook. Others came into the Realms first as fiction editors: Phil Athans, Peter Archer, Jim Lowder. Jean Rabe and Troy Denning were also TSR/WotC employees--not sure of their job titles. Still others establish themselves as published authors elsewhere, and come into the Realms either by invitation or by submitting a proposal. Established writers working in the Realms include Richard Lee Byers and Mel Odom.

Sometimes FR writers move on and/or branch out. Troy Denning has been doing Star Wars books, Doug Niles has been writing original fiction, Jeff Grubb works full time for another gaming company and last I heard, his wife and writing partner, Kate Novak, was working as a tax accountant. Jim Lowder has been working as an editor for various small press hourses. Scott Ciencin, who wrote several Realms books in the early years, has moved on to other projects, ranging from Dinotopia to comic books. I've been spending more and more time outside of the Realms. Recently I've published two books in a mystery series with dark fantasy elements, an EverQuest novel, and several creator-owned short stories. Among my works-in-progress are the first story in a paranormal series, a historical novel, two Arthurian novels (one historical fiction, one fantasy), and an urban fantasy series.

So yes, people do drift away, and new writers continually find their way in through a variety of paths.

Go to Top of Page

fmacdonald
Acolyte

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  19:03:51  Show Profile  Visit fmacdonald's Homepage Send fmacdonald a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity Elaine, but do any of the authors you mentioned that have branched off, intend on returning to writing Realms novels? More directly, do you, Douglas Niles or Troy Denning intend on writing more novels set in the realms? Not that I expect any of you to confine yourselves to the setting, It's just... some of my favourite novels have been written by the three of you.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:15:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just out of curiosity Elaine, but do any of the authors you mentioned that have branched off, intend on returning to writing Realms novels? More directly, do you, Douglas Niles or Troy Denning intend on writing more novels set in the realms? Not that I expect any of you to confine yourselves to the setting, It's just... some of my favourite novels have been written by the three of you.

Thanks! Glad to hear you've enjoyed these stories.

I don't know what plans for the future Douglas Niles or Troy Denning might have, but I've got two FR projects in the pipeline. WotC is releasing a (mostly) reprint anthology in early 2007 entitled The Best of the Realms: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham. This will have three new stories. I'm working on the sixth and final book of the Songs & Swords series, which is scheduled for release in early 2008. I plan to write another Elaith Craulnober short story to submit to Dragon Magazine. That's as far into the future as my FR plans go.

I've got a hectic writing schedule through the end of 2006 and I'm currently lining up projects to write in 2007 (for publication in 2008 and beyond.) Nothing I can talk about just yet, though.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:19:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Note to thread moderator:

Do you think these questions should be moved to my currently-locked Q&A thread? I'll be afk for almost a week, starting tomorrow, but I'm doing more online stuff these days and would like to unlock my thread again.

Thanks!
e
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:29:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll unlock the thread but, we can keep these replies here.... less Alaundo moves them. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:40:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'll unlock the thread but, we can keep these replies here.... less Alaundo moves them. :)

Either way is fine with me.

I'll be afk for several days, but after next week, I'll probably respond more promptly to questions posts in my Q&A thread, since I get email notices of new posts there.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:45:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Note to thread moderator:

Do you think these questions should be moved to my currently-locked Q&A thread? I'll be afk for almost a week, starting tomorrow, but I'm doing more online stuff these days and would like to unlock my thread again.

Thanks!
e

Well met

Apologies, Elaine. After speaking with ye earlier this week I had meant to unlock thy thread...however it slipped my mind after the numerous things I had to catch up on since my return

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:47:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, to make things easier, here's the link to the last page of the main Q&A thread for Elaine:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1888&whichpage=56

It's good to have you back, Elaine.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Oct 2006 20:48:23
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  22:27:28  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that Chapters bookstore lists Elaine's Best of anthology as a May 2007 release.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2006 :  02:44:09  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

I just noticed that Chapters bookstore lists Elaine's Best of anthology as a May 2007 release.

can't wait. Has anyone read her EQ book? Thomas Reid's book is very good.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2006 :  03:00:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

I haven't read either of them yet but they are in my stacks. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2006 :  03:21:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

I haven't read either of them yet but they are in my stacks. :)

It's the same with me.

Though it is next on my reading list after Bloodlines.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  13:36:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

March 2007 is what I'm hearing from WotC. I hope that's correct--the earlier, the better.

I received the copyedited manuscript for review. It's due back to WotC by October 30, and I would expect that the galley proofs will be printed and read by the end of November. So the book is definitely on track.

I'm hoping to advertise the book with two or three new short stories scattered here and there. If you have a particular character, event, or location you'd like to see revisited in a short story, stop by my Q&A thread with suggestions. I'll be writing a story about Elaith to submit to Dragon Magazine, but I'd also like to do at least one more story as a free web download.
Go to Top of Page

Alediran
Acolyte

Argentina
36 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  15:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Alediran's Homepage Send Alediran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the idea that it would be really cool if the players who have a really thought character (like mine), could see them appearing in a realms novel or anthology.

Alediran of House Tir'ent from Evermeet, the most knowledgeable elven family about Faerūn.

- Member of the Elven Netbook proyect
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  16:19:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alediran

I have the idea that it would be really cool if the players who have a really thought character (like mine), could see them appearing in a realms novel or anthology.

That, I can't do. The potential copyright tangles involved in writing about someone else's character are too daunting. Sorry!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  03:33:55  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the best ways to get involved in the setting is to start submitting to Dragon magazine. You can submit ideas for articles about any number of subjects. If it's appropriate, you can slip in a one line bio of a person important to the subject of your piece ie (Jane Doe NG female Chondathan Cleric 10/Contemplative 2 [Selune]). This doesn't mean that you submit a proposal for an article about one of your characters, but you could certainly include a quote from one of them or a reference to their importance or position.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 21 Oct 2006 03:34:31
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  01:59:39  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

March 2007 is what I'm hearing from WotC. I hope that's correct--the earlier, the better.

That would be great :) I have been eagerly awaiting this one as I don't have your Dragon Magazine short stories.
Go to Top of Page

Alediran
Acolyte

Argentina
36 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  17:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Alediran's Homepage Send Alediran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

One of the best ways to get involved in the setting is to start submitting to Dragon magazine. You can submit ideas for articles about any number of subjects. If it's appropriate, you can slip in a one line bio of a person important to the subject of your piece ie (Jane Doe NG female Chondathan Cleric 10/Contemplative 2 [Selune]). This doesn't mean that you submit a proposal for an article about one of your characters, but you could certainly include a quote from one of them or a reference to their importance or position.

Then the story of the Artblade of Cormanthor could be a good way to introduce him, since my character is searching every bit of lore that he can find about this lost blade. It could be written in the format of a journal.

Alediran of House Tir'ent from Evermeet, the most knowledgeable elven family about Faerūn.

- Member of the Elven Netbook proyect

Edited by - Alediran on 23 Oct 2006 17:09:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000