Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I need a list of the organizations in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  16:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I need some help compiling a list of all the organizations in the Realms. So far I have the following. Please add or correct as needed.

Harpers, Heralds, Emerald Enclave, Witches of Rashemen, Lords Alliance, Covenant, Moonstars, War Wizards, Purple Dragons, Triadic Knighthood, Lords of Waterdeep, Zhentarim, Red Wizards of Thay, Shadow Thieves, Cult of the Dragon, Twisted Rune, Knights of the Shield, Shadovar, Malaugrym, The Shade, Fire Knives, Arcane Brotherhood, Eldreth Veluuthra, Fey'ri, Bregan D'aerthe, Xanathar Thieves Guild, Sea Ravens, Kraken Society, Monks of the Long Death, Monks of the Dark Moon, Hathran, Knights of Myth Drannor.

Can somebody name some Elven groups, Dwarven groups, and any other organizations that exist in the FR Campaign Setting?

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  16:24:28  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you want real organizations or also adventuring groups? The Kinghts of Myth Drannor are the latter, hence my question

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  16:25:19  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any will do. I'll sort through them later. :)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  16:57:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Iron Throne, House Karanok, The Kir-lanans, Malaugryms, Mind Flayers, People of the Black Blood, The Rundeen. Aurora's Emporium, The Night Masks, Shadowmasters of Telflamm, Men of the Basilisk, Iron Ring.

There's more, like the merchant costers and adventuring groups, like Mane's Band, but I'd have to dig through my npc file to find them. :) There's some mentioned in other 3/3.5e sourcebooks that aren't detailed either.

You could consider the Seven Sisters their own organization and the Chosen of Mystra as another seperate organization.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Sep 2006 16:59:11
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  17:03:48  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the Info Kuje. Feel free to add mercenary bands every one. Keep the organizations coming!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  17:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the red something or other from sunset vale, and the crazed adventurers, the greycloaks, that Mage Royals, the dragon drow from WotSQ, the tel tuekira, and theres vast numbers in Champions of valor book; such as the guardians of the weave etc.

are just a couple that come to mind

this seems like a very arduous task to undertake, wandering-mage

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  17:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only ask that every one add what they can. So far I have quite a large list. It's stunning really. Add what you can and reap the benefits.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  17:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
circle of the flame in old myth drannor, the crusade of evermeet, the cowled wizards

oh and you already had the tel teukira (aka moonstars)

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  18:18:16  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mithril Hall Battleragers any one? Maybe I'm reaching on that one. :)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  18:29:21  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you count that then you should count the Arkhvelar etc of myth drannor as well. and the different houses etc of drow cities including sorcer etc

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  19:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a way that is the organization listing for the elves. Although the Akh'Velahr, Akh'Faern, and the N'Vaelahr do not exist anymore. There are the Evereskan Tomb Guardians and the Silverymoon Knights/Guards/Wizards. However they are more on par with the War Wizards and the Purple Dragons, soooooooo I will accept these organizations and when the list is finally compiled, as well as it can be, I will have the catergories of Wizard orginzations, Government/Military State Organizations (maybe a better title for that one), Thieves Guilds, Adventuring/Mercenary Companies, and Evil Organizations. Any suggestions are welcome to better lable the organizations in sub groups.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  19:05:36  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I said nothing on the Drow Houses. I wouldn't count them really. Maybe Sorcere, Melee-Magthere (misspelled I'm sure), and Arach-Tinilth. However the Academy is and is not an organization in its own because of House loyalties. So Bregan D'aerthe and the Chaulssin (misspelled too) are the only drow orgs I have so far.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  19:41:55  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the Osei Giliae (beh ... those Elven 'loremaster' look-a-like tomb guardians)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  19:53:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
House Jaelre. Yeah, I'm still going through Lords of Darkness since I'm adding it to my npc file. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  20:58:28  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I forgot about House Jaelre. They are unique. I might even name them as a sub group to the Vhaerunite Drow. Any wisdom to add on that Kuje?

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  21:15:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Works for me.

Oh, here's another. The Unworthy of Ilsenine from Champions of Ruin.

Of course, you could add all of the churches and the organizations within said churches. :)

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  21:20:20  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Mithril Hall Battleragers any one? Maybe I'm reaching on that one. :)

Battleragers are not solely based in Mithral Hall, since both Gold and Shield Dwarves have them as their preferred prestige class, see RoF.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  21:25:02  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right Mace but how better do we represent them by title? In fact are they a coherent organization. Are they ever coherent between the binge drinking and the fighting? Do Battleragers weep at night because they feel that they are misunderstood? :) I'm such a goof but I would love to hear what a decent title would be for them.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  22:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Riders of Mistledale!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  23:08:14  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you need to sub-categorize your defination of "organization"

using the examples above you would have to name every adventuring group ever named, every kingdom's/city's armed forces (and then sometimes break them down by type) then every settlement's guard/watch...then every merchant coster/group...every city itself that is far reaching in it's rulers (i.e. Shade)...every power's church and every branch and affiliated order...every Wizard's cabal...

I think it would eb a cool idea too to list every "organization" but I think you have bit off more than you can swallow

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  01:27:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Of course, you could add all of the churches and the organizations within said churches. :)
Aye.

Wandering_mage, this is indeed an important point. The Big FR Deity Three book -- Faiths & Avatars, Demihuman Deities, and Powers & Pantheons -- provide a wide selection of religious organisations and secular power groups that assist the various clergies. Most aren't specifically detailed, but we have a name and usually a few tidbits about them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  01:27:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few obscure mentions:-

Ba'etith

Order of the Black Flame

Cryptkey Facilitations

Order of the Sun Soul

The Mage Society

The Kaliesh'rai

Stray Thoughts

Forak-Erach-Naek

The Cave of Twelve Teeth

The College of Eclipse

The Hall of Mental Splendor

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  01:30:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As well, there are several Underdark-based organisations listed in the first WE for Underdark, here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031004a

They are:-

Affiliated Merchants of the Underdark

Guild of Underdark Guides

Underdark Anarchists’ Fellowship

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Sep 2006 01:30:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  01:39:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few others:-

Watchful Order

Mage Guild

Northern Wizards

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  01:45:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are right Mace but how better do we represent them by title? In fact are they a coherent organization. Are they ever coherent between the binge drinking and the fighting? Do Battleragers weep at night because they feel that they are misunderstood? :) I'm such a goof but I would love to hear what a decent title would be for them.

Technically the battleragers of Mithril Hall are the Gutbuster Brigade, as coined by Thibbledorf Pwent.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  01:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are right. Here is what I started with and what I am still interested in.

I would like to compile a list of the "popular" power groups and organizations of Faerun.

I am DM'ing a game and I found that adventure hook ideas and regional camapign planning is extremely easy when you know the power groups in the area better. So with this list I can research each group as needed and have that info to go off of. A glossary of ideas if you will. I hope that makes sense. I also want my brother to have options for organizations he can join. He has been away from the Realms for 3 years and needs a refresher. So a good variety of Mage Guilds/organizations, popular holy/unholy orders, popular evil groups, popular good groups. Nix the small stuff and the adventuring companies. I can also just make up mercenary companies and my brother might even want to lead one so don't bother listing any unless they are truly something to take note of (for example: Bregan D'Aerthe). Sage I bow to your wise wisdom that has taught me much here at Candlekeep and my fellow scribes thank you very much for your patience and help with my request. If every one agrees to the refocusing of this effort due to how huge the Realms is, and we really couldn't cover it well enough here anyways , then please keep offering FR power groups and such. I hope to have a decent list within 4 days.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  01:55:44  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knight your genius is appreciated. We should all get Knight's phone number so when we have a dispute over game lore at the gaming table we can just call him to resolve the conflict. :) The Gutbuster Brigade definitely a group to take note of. Sadly I do not think they figure into my refocusing of my request. :( Unless of course they now rule Mithril Hall... They don't, do they? :)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  02:03:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Knight your genius is appreciated. We should all get Knight's phone number so when we have a dispute over game lore at the gaming table we can just call him to resolve the conflict. :) The Gutbuster Brigade definitely a group to take note of. Sadly I do not think they figure into my refocusing of my request. :( Unless of course they now rule Mithril Hall... They don't, do they? :)

Ah, you do me too great a service. There are many, many in these halls that could run circles around me in the lore department, but I appreciate the ego boost.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  02:40:18  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Circle of Rust and the Worm, the Eternal Srinalla (sp?), The Lords of the Tempest...

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  02:43:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So a good variety of Mage Guilds/organizations...
You'll want to look over this scroll then:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4275

'Tis a scroll Hymn, myself and a few other scribes were working on. You may find some new guild/organisation possibilities listed there.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Sep 2006 02:48:15
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2006 :  03:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the olin gisae is the group sian was talking about

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000