Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Top 50 Spellcasters "Alive" In Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:12:07  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There have been many topics here on this forum on the most powerful this and that but this is different (as agreed upon with Alaundo). This serves as to see peoples opinion on the top fifty spellcasters alive(undead counts) currently in Faerun. This is posted partly out of interest and partly because I want to learn of new mages I havent ever heard of. Please dont feel required to make a whole list if you dont want to just a name will suffice and the list if you do make one does not need to be in any specific order. I can think of about 30 off the top of my head:

Elminster Aumar
Araevin Teshurr
Malchor Harpell
The Simbul
The Shrinshee
Alustriel Silverhand
Laeral Silverhand
Tsarra "Blackstaff" Chaadren
Telemaunt Tanthul
Meleguant Tanthul
Halaster Blackcloak
Larloch
Shaaan the Serpent Queen
Ioulaum
Syluné of Shadowdale
Sammaster
Talatha Vaerovree of Innarlith
Noumea Drathchuld
Alvaerele Tasundrym
Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep
Slarkrethel
Queen Amlaruil Moonflower
Vangerdahast
Manshoon
Sememmon
Breithel Olithir
Szass Tam
Gromph Baenre
Maligor
Mordenkainen

Please reply, thanx!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:24:04  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Araevin Teshurr
Tsarra "Blackstaff" Chaadren
Vangerdahast
Gromph Baenre
Maligor
Mordenkainen

No to all of the above, either due to being too low level, having too little influence, too little experience, or in the case of Mordenkainen, not being a native of Faerun.

I would add Ulair the Silent, Aumvor, Dargothoth (sp? - the Green Dragon Dracolich), Lady Yhelbruna, Rhaungaun and much of the rest of the Twisted Rune, and maybe some of ther higher-level Princes of Shade. I'd also definitely throw in the Necroqysar SHOON (36th level Demilich) and Ythazz Buvar (unstatted, but a former Zulkir of Necromancy of Thay, currently a Demilich, so I'd say at LEAST Szass Tam's level).

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 12 Aug 2006 06:24:28
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Aumvor, Iryclea, Nexus, Shoon VII, the demilich( the Keeper of Thaal) who is in charge of the Tombtappers Vault, that demilich who's dominated by Larloch, some of those crazy liches from the Twisted Rune, those wizards from Deep Imasker?

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:28:23  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iryclea isn't a Mage.

Who's Nexus?

And I don't think we have any formal stats of Deep Imaskari wizards, do we?

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:30:00  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can't forget about Bavardin Storm, the self-serving, abrasive frost wizard who originally hailed from the red-roofed town of Wheloon, Cormyr. He spent much of his early career battling drow and slavers, then moved on to dragons and Zhents. He eventually became a vampire, but through some divine intervention and a change of heart, he returned to the realms from the Abyss and now studies as an incantatar. You can still find him travelling the North with a powerful divine disciple of Lathander, Aelthas Angrilor. They now get their kicks from turfing demons and devils back to the accursed depths from which they are spawned, and also by helping buxum barmaids carry their groceries home.

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Araevin is the Grand Mage of Myth drannor so i thinks he deserves an honourable mention.

Sememmon is lower level than Vangerdahast or Gromph. Gromph should definately be mentioned and Vangerdahast is still a premier wizard of the realms
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:36:07  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We do its in the Underdark, and Nexus is a Gold Dragon Great Wyrm sorceror
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:38:50  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Araevin is the Grand Mage of Myth drannor so i thinks he deserves an honourable mention.

Uh. Nah. Not at all. :) He's low twenty levels and as far as I know there weren't even any other more powerful Elven High Magi stepping forward for the position. Ulair the Silent still considered himself the Grand Mage of Myth Drannor as of Blackstaff, and he was 29th level (500 years ago), and probably about three times as old (and wise) as Araevin.

Why should Gromph be mentioned? NO reason, at all. He's only 20th level and he has basically no influence outside of a moderately powered Drow city.

Vangerdahast isn't even 20th level, and he's a dragon now, so who knows how that might retard his process of wizardry acquisition? (NOT that I'm saying I don't dislike the character, but it isn't his raw spellcasting character that makes him so respected - it's his abilities to manipulate, organize, and pick out loyalties, more.)

Planescape Fanatic

Edited by - GothicDan on 12 Aug 2006 06:40:03
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:40:05  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gimme a second. . .

ok High Lord Planner Illis Khendarhine( sorceror 4/wizard 20/ archmage 6) Lord Apprehender Ebrul Naramixna( sorceror 10/ wizard 15/ archmage 4)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:41:15  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would consider the Sorcerer levels basically negligible at that level.

So the High Lord Plannar would be on there, perhaps.

Kuje has an NPC file of all 1E and 2E products, btw, with their levels, races, names, alignments, and classes. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:47:40  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh and on a minor note Gromph is lvl 22( it just struck me)
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh i was perusng my 3E version ack. . . might i ask where i can find that NPC file, it would be well useful to say the least
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:58:41  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
King Zalathorm of Halruaa, 29th level diviner.

The Elders of Nimbral: "In rough order of influence, the present Elders are as follows: Ardanthe (a motherly LN female human wizard 24/archmage 2); Skouloun (a sharp -witted and -tongued CN male human wizard 22/archmage 1); Mardamaun (a taciturn, deep-thinking LN male human wizard 25/archmage 1); Yusendre ("YOO-say-nn-dra," an impish, fun-loving CG female human wizard 20/sorcerer 6/archmage 1) and Belaurant (an elderly, kindly but manipulative CN male human wizard 25/archmage 1)."

Whatever happened to the Mistmaster?
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:59:11  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gromph's ECL is 22; his class level is 20th. The 2 levels of Drow are useless at that level, if not hindersome.

"Ed Greenwood's answers from Candlekeep and my NPC file: http://home.rochester.rr.com/kuje/"

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:03:44  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no in Dragon hes listed as an 18th level Diviner/ 4 level Archmage
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And thanks for the link :D cheers!!
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that Sememmon was more influential than Gromph when he ruled Darkhold. When a sourcebook says that you were literally The Black Network at times, then yeah you had some influence. Not sure about now though.

Dan's comment makes sense. Gromph really doesn't have influence outside Menzo.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:07:04  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
no in Dragon hes listed as an 18th level Diviner/ 4 level Archmage

Odd, I thought in Dragon he was listed as 20th level. But, I don't have that issue... And 22nd level still wouldn't put him in the top 50, as you'll see if you look at the NPC file I mentioned - which doesn't even include 3E NPCs yet.

And thanks, Mazrim.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oo yeah what abt the Terraseer? he's still alive right?
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:08:35  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. VERY high level, and a Sarrukh.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:09:15  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where else is Ulair the Silent mentioned? i havent had the chance to purchase Blackstaff yet . .

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:10:57  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rawk on, guess thats another for the top 50
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:11:29  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ulair comes up in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves and the Fall of Myth Drannor. He was the Grand Mage after the Srinshee left.

It's kind of presumptuous for Araevin to just take on such an honor which is usually only bestowed by the other High Magi... And any High Magi who would have named one so young the Grand Mage aren't worthy of the title.

Planescape Fanatic

Edited by - GothicDan on 12 Aug 2006 07:12:21
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh ok thanks and what abt the Sarrukh then, I recall in Serpent Kingdoms there are a couple of Sarrukh liches or lich-mummies, something like that. .
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:18:39  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's several dozen sarrukh liches taking turns guarding the ruins of a sarrukh city, if I remember correctly. The scalyfolk aren't my forte, so I don't have exact numbers or names memorized on them yet. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neither are they mine, but the one thing thats impressed im my mind is that they were the one who wrote the Nether Scrolls or as they call it The Golden Skins Of The World Serpent. . . so they must be pretty rawking mages eh
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:24:26  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they are rumored to be those who started creating them, at least, but I think there's a lot going around that says that all of the Creator Races had a hand in officially scribing them (which is more FR's style, and Ed's, who helped write that supplement along with Eric Boyd*, I believe).

*Could be wrong here. I may be getting the authors confused with Powers of Faerun.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:26:57  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm thanks for that useful bit of info :D
but i think the Sarrukh had the most impact on the other races
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:30:58  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's probably only because we haven't heard the other races' stories, yet... ;)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep i'd like to hear more on the aarakockra (they're a creator race right?) Yet in Races of Faerun they come across as kinda quaint
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:41:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the aarakockra are descendants of the avian creator race. Most of these descendants of the original races that we see today are far less powerful than their forefathers.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000