Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven Population (Blackstaff/Final Gate Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  00:11:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Since I have been bored whilst my computer is out of service, I sat down with a notebook and figured up the elven population of various regions, in regards to recent posts wondering how many elves are around to repopulate various elven settlements. I also figured the half elf populations as well, since this might come up.

Cormyr

54,432 Elves
136,080 Half-elves (man that Azoun gets around . . . )

Dalelands

24,101 Elves

Evermeet

1,658,880 Elves

Moonshaes

6,804 Half-elves
20,412 Elves

Calimshan

53,395 Half-elves

Tethyr

113,139 Elves

High Forest

15,124 Elves
1,120 Half-elves

Savage Frontier

28,220 Half-elves
22,576 Elves

Silver Marches

10,908 Half-elves
21,836 Elves

Sword Coast North

6,609 Half-elves
26,432 Elves

Waterdeep

13,4478 Elves
66,139 Half-elves

Halruaa

16,761 Elves
16,761 Half-elves

Luiren

16,760 Elves
8,380 Half-elves

Aglarond

381,024 Half-elves
13,089 Elves

The Vast

13,089 Half-elves
39,267 Elves

Vilhon Reach

55,058 Elves

Western Heartlands

65,664 Half-elves
114,912 Elves

These figures are from the FRCS so it doesn't take into account any population changes from the Phaerimm War in the North or the Crusade, which might alter a few of these regions. It does take into account the events of Evermeet and Death of the Dragon, however.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 08 Aug 2006 00:12:20

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  01:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know quite what to say other than you really must have been bored!

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  02:41:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed . . . I had been curious to crunch the numbers for a while, so lack of computer distraction was the catalyst to get out the old notebook.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  03:03:11  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next, try to figure out the most likely subraces for each region. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  03:07:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gack . . . although the Evermeet entry in the FRCS actually does break it down in that detail . . .

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 08 Aug 2006 03:07:32
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  03:27:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I might . . . might get around to doing the dwarves, gnomes, and halflings by region as well, though I don't think I'm going to bother with the other populations, since the amount of races living in cities or "civilized" lands that aren't "mainstream" races is kind of pointless, given that so many orcs, half-orcs, lizardfolk, etc. live in areas not covered in the population figures.

Strangely enough, the one I'm most curious to see now are the gnome figures.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  03:30:01  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tiny gnomes...

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  04:29:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember having seen something like this done for gnomes and halflings on another page; I have not studied it enough to guarantee for its correctness. I think it was on the page called Dlabraddath Net come to think of it.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  04:57:20  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warlocko links that a lot..

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  05:01:53  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the total Elves is:

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  11:28:18  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Warlocko links that a lot..

Do not, its just in my Signature. And its Warlockco

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Deverien Valandil
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  20:47:18  Show Profile Send Deverien Valandil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So the total Elves is:

Interesting. For comparison, are there any estimates on the number of humans (or other sentient species) in the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  21:01:21  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So the total Elves is:

that is 25% of the population on the mainland...the percentage seems right but does that seem like alot of elves for a race that was in the Retreat? over 1/2 million? My impression, in the beginning when I got the Gray Box, was that elves were rare and it was special to meet one...thus the average humans awe to meet one

and why does Cormyr have more elves than the Dalelands, Aglarond and the High Forest combined? and where did Luiren and Halruaa get so many elves so suddenly?

I think those #'s are a bit off especially for regions that do not or have not had a strong elven presence for centuries...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  21:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
shhhh... don´t tell anyone, but they are all disguised as drow, since the dark elves are making much more sucess than then...

Chosen of Moradin, the gossip-dwarf

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  00:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:

So the total Elves is:

that is 25% of the population on the mainland...the percentage seems right but does that seem like alot of elves for a race that was in the Retreat? over 1/2 million? My impression, in the beginning when I got the Gray Box, was that elves were rare and it was special to meet one...thus the average humans awe to meet one

and why does Cormyr have more elves than the Dalelands, Aglarond and the High Forest combined? and where did Luiren and Halruaa get so many elves so suddenly?

I think those #'s are a bit off especially for regions that do not or have not had a strong elven presence for centuries...

I agree, it does seem like a lot. I think we'd need to see statistics for the other races to compare and get a better handle on it though.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:49:26  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The number of Elves was never particularly low. They Retreated so as to PREVENT their numbers from dropping. :)

....Warklockco!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  07:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah but honestly 2 million plus compared to the huge number of humans in Faerun right now really isn't that much. The Elves are a race in decline, not a race facing extinction, so its reasonable i suppose. Btw did u include the star elves when u wrote the Algarond extract. And yes, it is very weird that Cormyr has more elves than the Dalelands, Aglarond and the High Forest, considering that not much is mentioned about them presently
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  08:09:55  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Elves were not precisely in decline, either. They sensed that if they did not Retreat they would fall into decline, however, so that's why they did what they did.

Remember, it's all relative; just imagine how large the population of Elves were 1,000 years ago (which is, what, only 2 generations?). Even losing a few hundred or thousand Elves, who have been around as one of the dominant races of Faerun for 15,000 years, and who breed so slowly, is reason enough for alarm.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  08:42:07  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Nods in agreement) but there would be a lot more of them if not for the Crown Wars or plain old elven pride to the point of stupidity. . .
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  09:07:33  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True.

But then again, humans have their own share of that in spades, as do dwarves (Duerger and Derro, anyone?). Gnomes and halflings, not so much.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  09:12:17  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnomes and halflings haha, i love those laidback people who know how to have fun.

I do think that the only reason why humans in the realms aren't in decline yet is because they enjoy making love as much as they do killing each other ;D
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  09:42:33  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And they adapt well to new surroundings. :)

(Gah, just because I type fast it tells me that I am trying to flood... *Sad*)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  09:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and they enjoy good food XD.

But seriously can someone answer the Cormyr question?
And to Dan, ROFL
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  13:32:04  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cormyr figure does seem a little weird... Higher population generally?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  14:18:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rare elves, out of the 2 million Elves 1.5 live on Evermeet. Taking then out of the number for mainland, the precentage of Elves drops to about 6 percent of mainland population.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  17:32:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only reason that I could see for the Cormyr numbers is because it used to belong to the elves and so maybe some of them stuck around.......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  18:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And with a good quantity of benevolent kings, fair justice, organizations, and respect for the people, I think that many elves will stuck around with good will...

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  18:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

The only reason that I could see for the Cormyr numbers is because it used to belong to the elves and so maybe some of them stuck around.......

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

And with a good quantity of benevolent kings, fair justice, organizations, and respect for the people, I think that many elves will stuck around with good will...

No, not really...though the elves were in the Cormyrian forests their presence there disappeared long ago...considering the people of Cormyr never had any resistance in felling and taming it's forests, with only the heart of Hullack Forest remaining...

There is no canon anywhere that indicates that elves have a strong presence in Cormyr...and it's ridiculous to think there are more elves in Cormyr than in Deepingdale, Semberholm, The Elven Court and Tangletrees combined (which are normally included as “the Dalelands”.

Just some thoughts...

Not counting Evereska (which is combined in the Western Heartlands numbers, I would like too see Evereska subtracted from that #) and the Moonsheas (Synaria sp?) which are the two remaining elven kingdoms on the mainland (pre 3rd Ed.), it was my understanding that the High Forest (1.1 k) and the Dalelands (24.1 k) held the majority of the elves that did not leave in the Retreat. That is 25,200 elves in the Dales/Cormanthar and the High Forest (which held 3 modern elf kingdoms)

Tethyr (the Wealdath) (113.1 k) was supposed to be a dieing region and underseige from the humans (I bet Foxfire [if that was his right name] wished he had over 50,000 warriors at his call)

The Vast (39.2 k), Halruaa (16.7k ) Luiren (16.7 k) and Calimshan (53.3 k) have 125,900 elves in total...regions of Fearun that lost their (civilized) elf populations since the Crown Wars. And don’t tell me about the grugach/wild elves...they are supposed to be worse off than the Wealdath (being hunted by the half-drow in Dambrath)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  18:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bored as well ... so here are the Halflings :)

Damara
52,877 Halflings

The Dalelands
12,053 Halflings

Dragon Coast
24,624 Halflings

Moonshae Isles
27,216 Halflings

Lake of Steam
157,075 Halflings

Amn
444,528 Halflings

Calimshan
106,790 Halflings

Tethyr
754,272 Halflings

The Moonsea
87,264 Halflings

High Forest
582 Halfings

The Savage Frontier
22,579 Halflings

Silver Marches
54,540 Halflings

Sword Coast North
26,438 Halflings

Waterdeep
67,392 Halflings

Chessenta
203,212 Halfings

Unther
85,277 Halflings

Sembia
73,872 Halflings

The Great Rift
13,090 Halflings

Halruaa
33,523 Halfings

Luiren
771,034 Halflings

Thay
196,992 Halflings

The Vast
65,448 Halflings

Turmish
84,672 Halflings
50,803 Elves
16,934 Half-Elves

Westen Heartlands
65,664 Halflings

thats about it ...

all in all:
3,431,014 Halflings

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  20:51:45  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the Daleslands elvish numbers include Cormanthor in the FRCS.

The Cormanthor entry has a population of 154,223 with drow 47%, elves 30%, half-elves 10%, etc...

which is 72,484 (.81 ) Drow
46,266 (.9 ouch) elves
15,422 (.3, third-elf!) half-elves
15,422 (.3, another third-elf!) humans
and 3084 (.46 must be small for a halfling) halflings!

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  20:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Three millions of halflings!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page