Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Are FR and Greyhawk still connected?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  03:47:35  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, as of version 3.0 FR officially has its own cosmology.

From what I have heard the new Great Tree cosmology is not in any way shape or form related to the core/greyhawk Great Wheel Pantheon. Therefore Sigil supposedly dosen't exsist either.

But there are just too many connections between FR and Greyhawk to be denied.

1. Khelben Arusun's own grandson LIVES in the Free City of Greyhawk.

2.Most of the planes are the same and the only major difference is the addition of the Godly planes(ex. Barrens of Doom and Despair) in FR and the nonexsistance of Limbo.

3. Cosmic Entities are the same: Demogorgon, Asmodeus, Graz'zt, Orcus, Big M, you name it. Although they are "supposedly" different entities.

I just wanna know the truth, are FR and Greyhawk still linked? I would be very grateful for some help.

p.S: I found this link on the Wizards Forums that had a post by Richard Baken saying that Sigil exsists in Toril cosmology http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=129535

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  04:03:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, all the prime material planes should be able to connect through the Plane of Shadows.

Without getting into the cosmology issue, there has not been any official pronouncement that Greyhawk and Toril have had not contact, or any retcons to that effect. In fact, Eric Mona, Publisher of Dungeon and Dragon Magazine, and one of the authors of the Fiendish Codex, has pretty well said he considers them still connected, and he is about the biggest Greyhawk geek going, probably the most official Greyhawk voice going right now.

On the other hand, Cam Banks has said that DragonLance has never, ever, ever, been connected to any other world according to current DragonLance "canon." Go figure.
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  04:35:26  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

First off, all the prime material planes should be able to connect through the Plane of Shadows.

Without getting into the cosmology issue, there has not been any official pronouncement that Greyhawk and Toril have had not contact, or any retcons to that effect. In fact, Eric Mona, Publisher of Dungeon and Dragon Magazine, and one of the authors of the Fiendish Codex, has pretty well said he considers them still connected, and he is about the biggest Greyhawk geek going, probably the most official Greyhawk voice going right now.

On the other hand, Cam Banks has said that DragonLance has never, ever, ever, been connected to any other world according to current DragonLance "canon." Go figure.

Ya, I brought up the subject of inersetting travel at the DL forums as well and they dubbed it as bogus.

According to 3rd edition, The three outer planes of DL:Dome of Creation, Hidden Vale, and The Abyss from kind of an anti-Planar barrier around Krynn which prevents any form of Planar travel to the setting.

Dark Sun also has something like that surrounding it as well.

Which leaves Oerth.

-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  05:12:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigil does exist since there is a portal to/from it in Faiths & Pantheons and Richard Baker has said that it's the same Sigil of the Wheel/Ring. The Infinite Staircase, which is mentioned in the Player's Guide, does the same thing. So does the Shadow Plane. Limbo exists as well since it's been mentioned in Serpent Kingdoms and a novel trilogy... Lisa's novel trilogy also mentions the Outlands.

Now, supposedly, the named beings of FR planes are seperate and different from those of Greyhawk but they share the same names. I.E there is a Corellon of FR and then a different and seperate Corellon of the Wheel/Ring.

I'll also point out Sages good FR planar changes found here:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5109

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 16 Jul 2006 05:13:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  05:19:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly, FridayThe13th, take a look through the Forum Code of Conduct in my sig for a section on "Planar Changes" between editions and the state of things between settings now.

Secondly, the Sigil of the Great Wheel in 3e is the same Sigil in the FR's Great Tree cosmology. So it still exists for FR as well. The Abbey of the Sword reference in F&P on pg. 161 P3-Magic Portal -- notes a one-way portal from Sigil to Toril.

The barrier in Dark Sun is called The Gray. It didn't completely prevent planar travel, though it made it extremely difficult.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jul 2006 05:20:21
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  13:44:56  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
k, thanks for all your help.

-- Torilian Prime

Go to Top of Page

Dragon Cultist
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  11:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Dragon Cultist's Homepage Send Dragon Cultist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Necro time again!

About the planar connections of Krynn: 3.X edition can retcon all they want, but I recall Dalamar's joining Elminster and Mordenkainen for refreshments and chats ("The Wizards Three" series of articles, by Ed Greenwood in Dragon Magazine). I say this makes it clear that plane-hopping archwizards, at least, COULD reach the Earth 1990's Prime Material Plane. IMHO this also makes it a near-certainty that had he wanted, Dalamar could have hopped to Toril just as easily.

"And naught will be left save shattered thrones with no rulers.
But the dead dragons shall rule the world entire..."

Edited by - Dragon Cultist on 16 Jul 2008 11:29:39
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  15:28:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly two years!

At first, I thought this was actually a new scroll. I didn't bother to check the year... looking only to the day and month instead. Until I realised that I'd previously replied to this scroll already.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  16:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  17:05:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Exactly two years!

At first, I thought this was actually a new scroll. I didn't bother to check the year... looking only to the day and month instead. Until I realised that I'd previously replied to this scroll already.

Yeah, I was confused, too, until I noted the year.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000