Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Magic Theory 101
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  21:50:54  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Welcome class! Today I would like to open a forum on the tactical and strategic use of magic in the Realms. Examples of favorite magic combat stunts and tricks from novels are welcome as are personal accounts of magic use. Dm's don't hold back please add your info.

Now if any one has any interesting FR lore based magical attacks/tricks that would be of interest please do share.

I am especially interested in favorite combat techniques used by Elven mages, the Chosen, Red Wizards, Zhents, Shadovar, regionally based human mages, and lastly Dwarven mages.

The goal is to share experiences read or used to inspire creativity in FR campaign-based gamers playing style. And more importantly...mine. Please chat it up!

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  21:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you goal is to infiltrate everything and be able to destroy all and take over! :P

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  21:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No no. I have a curiosity for all things magical. I also love dispelling other wizards spells and playing the abjurer. To conduct a magely duel is to truly show ones style and craftsmanship.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  22:03:04  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarven mages?

Err...

I don't think we've heard anything about them except for the fact that sometimes they show up in the Great Rift. :)

Some especially prominent types of Faerunian-specific magic include Wards, Mantles, and Continencies. Which are some of the things that truly make Wizards the most powerful group on the planet. Mmm.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  00:23:46  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say that some of the most interesting spellcasting happens in the novels.

Silverfall has some absolutely stunning spellcasting, especially Alustriel, Laeral, and The Simbul (no big surprise). Alustriel is attacked by Red Wizards and deals with one of their "spell loops," or whatever that is. Laeral and Qilue battled several slayers and a beholder in Skullport, making stunning use of silver fire. Of course, The Simbul attacks a tower of Red Wizards, and makes brilliant use of project image, telekinesis, and blade barrier, among other spells. In fact, the entire section dealing with The Simbul is a brilliant medley of spellcasting and the thought processes behind it.

The ultimate is Elminster in Hell. The Simbul's blood ring is just incredible. Using her own blood to bind two wizards, a beholder, and a red dragon, each of which is summoned to fight for the Witch Queen, was something that awed me. Is that one of her epic spells? Her rampage across Avernus, slaying devils left and right, was stunning.

I also got a real kick out of the exchange between Sarya and Maalthiir in Farthest Reach. Prismatic spray is a spell used often in the trilogy. It's also used early on in Midnight's Mask.

If I may, these books helped me as a DM as we marched into epic levels. By the time they were in the upper 20s, I was pleased to see that their overall might was comparable to the might of the characters we follow. They're an excellent guide and a nice confirmation.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 15 Jul 2006 00:24:24
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  21:47:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote this more than ten years ago, but some of the core concepts remain the same. It was also written with 2nd edition rules in mind, and therefore some things which worked back then would work differently now. For instance, vocalize as a spell no longer exists. Sound bubble would be replaced by various mental linking spells. Acid damage is much easier to resist than in 2nd edition (for instance, for use with spells such as acid rain and wall of force together). Now, some of the things that would be hard to resist would be spells that affect a specific alignment, for which there are a few that work as damage over time effects. Certain effects such as sphere of wonder and spell invulnerability were not transferred into 3E, and the vast number of contingent effect spells in previous editions have been cut down by the ability to do them via feats (and thus rightly cut down people's bags of tricks). Still, many of these general ideas work in most campaigns.

“Alavairthae, fellow students of the art.” Began the bounty hunter mage, Sleyvas, as he ascended to the podium, his longswords clanking on his hips. Stopping, he gave a brief bow and prayer to the three coffins set at the top of the stairs. He wore a red and black tunic with the Thayan standard embroidered on its sleeve. Although his fellow red wizards were shocked at his audacity in appearing before a gathering in anything besides ceremonial robes, they also had to admit that it was the closest they were going to get out of him. As the furor died down, Sleyvas began his address, “I have gathered here today to discuss a matter of great personal interest to me, in the hopes that we shall not have to attend more sad occasions such as this in the future. It has long been the Thayan mindset to develop better and stronger means of warfare, but as we can see from the meaningless deaths of these students, sometimes the best offense is to defend oneself well. With that, I would like to speak on the major styles of defense in the art.”

Before I say anything, at first chance, all of you should look into acquiring the stoneskin spell as well as spells such as invisible mail.

CAN’T FIND ME, CAN’T KILL ME: This style is perhaps one that gives the best protection to the caster, though it has the drawback of if broken through all its efforts become for naught. At its simplest, this would involve the spell improved invisibility. However, if one is to guard against divinations, then the spells non-detection and misdirection should come into play. Luckily, these two spells are extremely long-lived. However, this can be taken further, as certain creatures are known to have extremely sensitive senses of hearing and/or smell. In the case of sound, the mage spell, vocalize is extremely useful, as is the spell sound bubble. However, each has their drawbacks: Vocalize allows one to act with impunity even within a “silenced” area, whereas sound bubble allows one to talk to nearby allies without worry of being overheard. As far as smell, one can’t beat the little known spell, Drawmij’s scent mask. Finally, there are the possibilities of encounters with undead, and while it is little known, many of these beings can actually sense the life force of an opponent. In fact, the Faerunian spell, Spectral Guard is even known to be able to incorporate this ability. As a result, many may wish to begin their own researches into a variation of the spell detect life. If one has the time, it is also worthwhile to employ magics such as blink to further stupefy their opponents.
There is one dangerous spell to those who employ these magics: True Sight. At this time, I have only discovered a single counter to this spell, besides of course remaining outside its range. This would be spell invulnerability, and it makes the spell simply “not exist” when it comes to the caster. Of course, this also prevents the caster from employing said spell himself. Also, for those who would have access to such high level magics, it proves very nice to have a magical item to confer normal invisibility and keep the improved invisibility as a Persistent effect (see Persistence in Spells & Magic).
Still, those who employ this strategy often lose its advantages by employing assault spells totally unmeant for it. It is imperative that one employ magics which DO NOT give hints as to where the caster is. No lightning bolts, no magic missiles, no melf’s acid arrows, and try to stay away from short range spells (cloud spells in particular are noted as being short range). Perhaps the best spells to use with this sort of magic are those which summon aid, create weapons of force, or attack spells which simply appear in the air (ice storms, snowball swarms, etc....). One must also remember not to cast protective spells which create their own magic aura, as the invisibility will not cover it (minor globes of invulnerability, spelltrap, seven eyes, fire shield, etc....).

WHICH ONE IS ME: Similar to the above, this relies on the fact that one’s opponent don’t know exactly where you are. However, this relies on presenting one’s opponents with multiple things which look like the caster. This can be achieved with various illusion spells (mirror image, programmed illusions) as well as such spells as blink and improved blink. One spell in particular is well suited to this form of assault, Zala’s Deception (see Zala’s book of Barriers in Dragon #221). Also, one might employ simulacrums or even the spell, body outside body, to further confuse one’s opponent. The fatal drawback to this tactic is of course area effect magics. It is interesting to note that one might use the mislead spell to combine these tactics with the aforementioned style of spell dueling, though you must remember the short range of said spell.

COME TO THE DARK SIDE: Contrary to belief, this style does not involve consigning one’s soul to the Tanar’ri. This style is also closely related to the “Can’t find me, can’t kill me” style mentioned above. It involves using spells to create darkness and hiding within it and using divination magics to see through it and assaulting your opponents. Given the fact that mages cannot center area effects in an area that they can’t see into, this means that there is little chance of them harming the mage hiding in the dark. There are several spells inclined towards these tactics: blacklight, ultravision (a particularly long-lived and useful spell), true sight, and of course the spell darkness 15’ radius. When used with spells such as Globe of invulnerability, it will prevent the effects of light spells and most dispels from taking down the defense. However, this style is best employed “as is” only against lower level parties, and is easily raised. Against higher level opponents, this style is best if employed in combination with the ideas of other styles. For instance, some might use this in comination with the “can’t find me, can’t kill me” style to misdirect opponent spells towards the area of darkness. It can also be used with the “which one is me” tactics with use of a programmed illusion (for instance, creating multiple illusions of darkness globes, from which lightning bolts seem to bounce as if the caster were blinking from globe to globe). Or, it can be used with the “delaying tactics” or “they can’t reach me” styles mentioned below.

THE WARRIOR’S WAY: This style is intended for use against powerful warriors and is typically only affective in the short term, as they quickly learn to avoid the caster (effectively letting him do whatever he wants). It is also a recommended style for only those with better skills in the art of melee. Central to this style are the various spells which prevent physical assault from affecting the caster (stoneskin (note the duration on this), ironguard, prot/normal missiles, swordshun, invulnerability to normal or magical weapons, etc...). Secondly, the caster should raise some spell(s) which hurts anyone who directly melees the caster (rainbow shield (a beauty for use with this spell), fireshield, damage mirror, etc.....). He should also have prepared himself and his weapons with magics to enhance their damage (a person under the effects of a strength and/or cat’s grace spell , fighting with two-weapon style and having two swords with, say, charge (note duration) spells on each is very appropriate.). This is a very deadly defense and quick to remove one’s non-spellcasting opponents, while allowing the caster to focus his own assaults against enemy spellcasters himself.

THEY CAN’T REACH ME: Against a low-level party, this is perhaps some of the greatest tactics, though it is sometimes hard to raise on the fly, so an invisibility spell might be the precursor to its inception and the caster should, naturally have a stoneskin in effect. This revolves around the use of a minor globe (or normal globe) of invulnerability along with a fly or levitate spell and a protection/ normal missiles. Low-level opponents typically won’t be able to reach the caster, and those few who are quickly become the focus of the caster’s magic. The major drawback to this tactic is its immobility. Of course, given the tenaciousness of most low-lvl opponents, at least the vast majority of the party can be destroyed before escaping. However, the caster could cut off escape with the various wall spells.

DELAYING TACTICS: This is not a defensive style per se by itself. It’s simply a concept for raising defenses. Essential to this style is the use of magics such as invisibility or rope tricks. This is especially useful with the “Come to the Dark Side tactics” as well as programmed illusions mentioned above, as spellcasters using true sight will not be able to use detect magic at the same time to detect the extradimensional space of the rope trick where the caster is casting more spells.

STAND & FIGHT YOU FOOL: This is a good quick defense for higher lvl casters who come unexpectedly under assault. However, this does not provide more than a few rounds of safety. Typically this style involves the use of at least one or two of the four following faerunian spells (typically contained in a contingency and/or chain contingency): spell engine, seven eyes, spelltrap, Elminster’s effulgent epuration.

UNDEATH CAN BE A LIFESAVER: This style centers around those who favor necromantic magics (even those who aren’t necromancers) and is only for higher level casters. It involves using the spell Imbue undead with spell ability to imbue undead servants with protective spells to cast on the caster. Much like the “Delaying Tactics” above, this style is best used in combination with another style of defense (or as a means to raise a very quick assault, or both).

A MAGNETIC PERSONALITY: This is more of a defensive style to be used on city assaults by groups of mages. I employed it of recent in the capture of Calaunt, and can assert that it works quite well. It revolves around high level magics, however, and thus is more of interest to my colleagues. It’s central point is the creation of various projectiles out of glass (cast pieces of arrow heads, slingstones, bullets, etc... which can be broken off like model pieces from a tree) , then altering them using the spell glasssteel. During the assault of the enemy fortress, the mage should be prepared with tactics similiar to the aforementioned “stand & fight you fool” and spells such as stoneskin, ironguard, and protection from normal missiles. Once within range, the caster should release a pair of Superior magnetism spells on two large objects within 60 feet of one another. This will give a stretch of wall about 180 ft long which is safe to assault by lightly armored missile wielders using the aforementioned glassteeled projectiles. This wall can be scaled and the missile wielders can slowly move along it wiping out surrounding foes with impunity. Naturally, spellcasters and warriors wielding glassteeled swords should accompany them to take on opponent spellcasters.

ANTI-MAGIC IS MY FRIEND: This style is a favorite of the song mage, Alefian Thelanthra, and the more I see it in use, the more impressed I am. This style revolves around making oneself immune to the affects of one’s own anti-magic shell or the rare spell sphere of wonder (through spells such as spell invulnerability and counterspell immunity). However, in doing so, the anti-magic does not cover the area in which the caster exists, and therefore, he can be targeted specifically by spells. However, the caster can also obey such rules, using them to bring into effect personal spells which do not exist outside his body (spell turning, improved invisibility, fly, stoneskins, etc....), thus applying this style with the various other styles. As yet, the only drawbacks I’ve found to this style is its inability to stop targeted magic in and of itself (and the spell turning spell does not last near long enough), and the ability of opponents hiding within one’s anti-magic shell and physically assaulting the caster until his wardings drop.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  15:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas, I will print this off and name it the Tome of Art Wielding by the Archmage Sleyvas! This should be invaluable in bettering my own tactics.

I am a bit of a military buff and I love limiting the battlefield with obstacles to channel the enemy into ray attacks and such.

I've been dying to use some contingency based spells though. Oh to see my DM's face when I pull of the perfect move. Something like a teleport of all the party and the bad dudes get teleported to a preset battlefield prepared by the party already. Have a few active spells already on the battlefield with maybe one party member waiting to blast the bab dudes. That would rock!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  23:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a game i played in the GM had a dozen Cormyrian War Wizards each with a wand of Fireball and Lightning bolt. And when faced with a horde if enemies, they advanced in a line firing alternating blasts from thier wands. The Purple Dragons advanced next to them in order to eliminate any leaking enemeies from attacking the War Wizards.

I'm fairly certain that Thay could easily use something similar to this.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  23:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be interested in some sort of ritual/circle magic that allows the invading horde to stop and take a breath after they march onto the field of battle. The opposing army awaits the attack but seeing the invading army they are perplexed until a distant chanting from miles away carries a rain of acid onto the opposing army before the invading army advances. Mwhahahahahah!!! Something of that magnitude would be fun to pull off. Even if your character isn't really the leader of the circle or ritual. Just a participant.

Anybody have anything on this? Heck, just being able to bestow mage armor on your entire army would tip the balance of a battle amazingly.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  23:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever run into an army with a couple wands of animate dead and three hundred goblins? I hate necromancers.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  01:53:38  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

Ever run into an army with a couple wands of animate dead and three hundred goblins? I hate necromancers.

Yeah, but I love to hate them. What better a villian? Plus without them clerics are useless. (I'll catch some hell for that remark.) Wizards are so much more diverse and tailorable.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  20:57:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a necromantic feat that turns your undead into bombs when they die. Using this in combo with low hit die creatures is nasty. Its a newer tactic I've used.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  21:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas,
You are a true artist! If only I could be as inovative as you sir. You are one Red Wizard I would not want to meet on the battlefield. But I'll buy the spell scroll for that necromatic bomb.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  22:09:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Sleyvas,
>>You are a true artist! If only I could be as inovative as you sir. You are one Red Wizard I >>would not want to meet on the battlefield. But I'll buy the spell scroll for that necromatic >>bomb.

Thanks, though I used to use this same basic tactic with undead rats that had imbue undead with spell ability cast on them (back in 2nd edition). Invisible undead rats with Drawmij's scent mask on them can get just about anywhere in a castle, and its really nasty when you send them in in droves. Of course, you have to provide a way to see through their eyes so you can direct them to where you need them to go, one at a time. But, with the right command set setup (i.e. you cast your area effect spell when you see an explosion happen directly in front of you)..... just nasty. Message is a wonderful low level spell.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  22:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is exactly the kind of stuff I love! If only my players were this smart. Actually I ought to be thankful shouldn't I. Your tactic Sleyvas is literally DYN-O-MITE!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  22:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not know how half of you think of up this stuff, honestly...insanity is the best and worse gift :P

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  22:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahaha, magic dabbling is insane. Mwhahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  22:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still say your planning to take over the world of Faerun with your vast knowledge of all things like this...

But, no one heeds a spellcasters warning often do they? :P

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  01:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope they never do! Hey Sleyvas, leave some monsters for me to kill! I just learned this spell called Fire Spiders.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  13:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a cool concept I thought up. You can use it at a relatively low level too. Use the spell fog cloud to hide yourself at the start of combat. Next cast a swift invisibility. Next you cast levitate (or fly). This is really good if you are in a high cavern or there is cover above you (trees, battlements, etc). Now you have to be able to be able to see your enemy at this next step. Proceed to blast enemy from above with relative impunity. Of course high Dex and AC help against missiles. This is exceptionally good for attacking the leader at the back of the opposing side with linear/line of sight/ray spells. Scorching Ray anybody?

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  13:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any one know the Covenants favored tactics in battle magic? They seemed to favor boosting they abilities of the Uthgardt rather that direct confrontation with the hordes of orcs. This would definitely help with battlefield mobility.

For example:
1. Teleport barbarians into orc encampment. Chaos and havoc.
2. We are being flanked! Haste and teleport warriors to needed areas.
3. Reduce battlefield visibility for the enemy and move around to your favored point of attack.... the enemies rear forces.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  14:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As to the Red Wizards of Thay and the Twisted Rune, the use of large amounts of undead with almost unlimited resources for more undead as the battle continues I have not experienced this. Theoretically you can't loose unless there are five temples of Lathander nearby. Although you could have wizards ready to cast that spell compedium spell that takes away a clerics divine powers momentarily. Devestating.

Now utilizing circle magic you could upgrade your earthquake spell to a continent changing event. I would really like to be corrected if I am wrong in thinking this. I'm actually amazed with how little coordination there really is within the Red Wizards ranks. I mean even with each zulkir taking his own henchmen and wrecking some serious havoc that would be a serious problem. Does the Simbul have anything to say on this?

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  18:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Walls to hem them in, acid fog/cloudkill to kill them in droves.

Empowered Chain disintegrate anyone?

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  19:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would seem there are many like minded mages out there. -Rubs hands together while laughing menacingly- Rashemen will fall! Mwhahahaha

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Darkhund
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  22:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Darkhund's Homepage Send Darkhund a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Eldritch Knight has used a combination of some of his favorite spells to bring several dragons low.

A Touch Of Exhaustion/Waves of Fatigue/Waves of Exhaustion at our draconic target, and a wall of Iron the next moment (Created as a tall wall, instead of very wide), created far enough above the dragon to gain impact speed, and impale the dragon in its slower reacting form.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  23:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gate in some muscle. There is little more devastating than summoning up a Balor or three and saying they can kill anything they want in that direction for the next 48 hours and then letting them go play.

Drop leaflets of explosive runes over your opponents camp/army.

Have your army dig a long trench and fill with stakes. Cover it with Hallucinatory terrain. get the enemy to charge.

Summon rain, to slow your enemy down, cast Transmute mud to rock, then transmute rock to lava.

Use Control Monster successfully on a dragon, have it flame your opponents. If you don't use it successfully, you won't have to worry about anything anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  23:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Dwarven mages...nothing like using a judicious Transmute rock to mud to make a tunnel collapse on your enemies, and then reverse it, to entomb them in stone.

Or use rock to mud to start a land/rockslide

Elemental summoning to rearrange the terrain or attack your opponents. How would they feel if they woke up and their supply wagon had been sucked into the very earth.

Cast mass flame shield and then haste the battleragers...point your finger at the bad guys and say the magic word "charge!" and pop open a cold one and watch the mayhem.

Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  23:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Shadovar mages...
Remove your opponents ability to see with various forms of darkness, and deeper darkness, throw out a few Evards tentacles to wreak confusion upon your foes....send in the troops.

Drop a few summoned shadows/wights amongst them, followed by a feindish dire tiger or two. Use the various exhaustion/fatigue spells and rays of enfeeblement on your opponents....send in the troops.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  14:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading the RotA I was a little surprised how much meteor spells were used by elves and the lack of efficient attack spells that they actually utilized. I guess you could assume that other attack spells were being used but based on the Seige of Evereska I would say that the Elves magic had a poor showing, per my opinion, compared to that of the magical nukes being dropped during the Fall of Myth Drannor. But Myth Drannor at the time had a diverse group of races yielding each their own power magics. Based on this (I haven't read the whole Evermeet book , or the final gate series) I would say that elven magic is meant to win the battle before the battle is fought.

Per this I would offer the following possible tactics of surface elves:

Battle tactics for Wars-We should immediately assume that there are various illusion spells in play and that more than likely the elves are the defenders. Next I will assume that there is no active Mythal (based on the decline of Mythals and for a good control example). Now the attacker I would suggest for a well balanced capable attacker would be Sembia. Let's say they have several capable mages and various groups of mercenaries (knights/archers/foot soldiers/auxilary forces). Now I will ask that you drop all concerns about the armies leaders, terrain advantages, and weather conditions. Bear with me here. Now to focus on the magic of the elven defenders. As the battle starts to begin we will say that there have been several magical skirmishes that have taken away any advantage that the Sembian mages may have had (they have cast some spells attempting to reveal the archers hidding in the woods, or they may have been sniped before they even get to the battle field by arcane archers or bladesingers). Now lets imagine that the Sembian calvary has shaken off the summoned woodland creatures that have been picking off riders as the calvary moves about and they also shook off the dragon that was summoned for assistance by the elves. -Notice that once again the elves would probably use a proxy before they truly engage in the grand melee.- Now the main event starts off with much casting and counter spelling as mages on both sides counterspell the worst of the attacks coming at their army before casting an offensive spell of their own. I am going to say that the elves patiently wait for an opportunity to counter the sembian mages attacks. This patience will win the day after the sembian mages have played their hand of cards. I would also think that the elves would be more concerned with defensive magics on their troops in order for the elves to keep up their number of troops as they will no doubt be out numbered by the humans. I am not really considering priestly magic but you can make your own decision on that account. (plus divine magic isn't my strongest subject) Lastly I am going to say that the elves would bring about attack spells that do not necessarily destroy the environs around them. This might actually lose the battle for them. Truly the possibility of mages on both sides moving off to the side to engage in spell duels is a significant factor. Even more significant if they do their duel above the fighting warriors. Ouch! There are many possibilities but the fact remains that the elves would probably augment their forces by calling on allies, using their terrain and illusions to take advantage of their foes are better place them in an off balanced position, and lastly the elves would be responsible with their magic and less likely to over due their casting before they needed to. All thoughts are welcome.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  14:22:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Here is a cool concept I thought up. You can use it at a relatively low level too. Use the >>spell fog cloud to hide yourself at the start of combat. Next cast a swift invisibility. >>Next you cast levitate (or fly). This is really good if you are in a high cavern or there is >>cover above you (trees, battlements, etc). Now you have to be able to be able to see your >>enemy at this next step. Proceed to blast enemy from above with relative impunity. Of course >>high Dex and AC help against missiles. This is exceptionally good for attacking the leader >>at the back of the opposing side with linear/line of sight/ray spells. Scorching Ray anybody?

Make it even better. Cast the fog cloud (or maybe blacklight). Then cast a programmed illusion that appears where you are when you cast the swift invis. Then go ethereal or use a rope trick, etc.... If you go ethereal, go into the earth and just put spell after spell upon yourself while the programmed illusion does its natural programmed actions of hurling spells (all of which appear to be targeted affects that fail gosh darn it, make sure to have the players roll the dice to make them continue to believe in real life as well <g>).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  14:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elven magical tactics:

Battle tactics for adventuring-the adventuring partie's elven mage could do almost anything due to the odd nature of adventurers, but before they go off into the world they would be taught most likely by an elven mage. So a few things might characterize the elven adventuring mage. Firstly, they probably have significant knowledge of magic thus adding an advantage for magical traps that may be encountered or magical creatures that the elven mage read all about in the gathered knowledge of a tome back in Windsong tower or some such place. (Of course this could easily describe any other races wizard just as well.) Secondly, the elven mage will be very eager to find ancient elven artifacts stolen or lost ages ago. They may try to return them..... or even try to claim them if they have a rightful claim to them. Lastly, the adventuring elven mage is a wildcard and that means that it is almost impossible to nail down how one of them would act while on the job.

Battle tactics for mage duels-this is really dependent on the strengths of the individual mage. I would assume that based on Eliminster in Myth Drannor that heavy spell and melee resistant defenses would be put up so that the elven mage could act without losing a moment of action. This is another generalization of most mages but it seemed that in the book stated above that Ed of the Greenwood meant for elves to focus their magics very strongly on spell mantles during a duel or fight.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000