Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Worshipping Correllon AND Lathander
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  10:47:12  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm helping a player work out the background for a new character. He wants to play an Elf Paladin, and we've decided that this would work if his lawful side came about as a rejection of the Retreat, seeing it as abandonment of the elves dwarf and human friends.

He would still worship Correllon Larethian, but I thought it would be interesting to have him also pay homage to Lathander, seeing his Renewal aspect as a way to bring about a new, stronger alliance between elves and humans that harked back to the days of Myth Drannor.

I could see the character serving the Order of the Aster, attempting to prove through his deeds that the elves DO care about humankind, while staying firm in his belief that he is doing Correllon's work and furthering the destiny of elfkind.

So - would you allow this in your campaign, if the player roleplayed it appropriately?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  11:12:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not see much of a problem with honor to two deities, one would have to be patron and dogma followed of that one, but the dogma of the second could be secondary guide.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  12:27:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, remember that most people in the Realms can worship one or two deities... or even an entire pantheon on a given day. And we've seen examples of divine casters who receive their spells from two different deities.

Salyndra Shaern who is a female half-elf cleric and worships both Oghma and Corellon equally.

Myrmeen Lhal, the ranger and ruler of Arabel, worships both Mielikki and Tymora.

And there is also Larajin -- from Heirs of Prophecy by Lisa Smedman. She worships both Hanali and Sune.

I'm not really sure how it would work mechanics wise (since mechanics aren't my strong point)... but there are definitely lore examples of divine casters worshipping more than one deity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 May 2006 12:29:19
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  12:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Finder points out in Finder's Bane, deities are strengthened every time someone mentions their name or praises them. Of course the priests who are dedicated to them using their name invoke more power.

Performing the appropriate ritual and gestures when praying for a divine spell makes it easier for the deity to give away some of it's power (as it happens almost automatically). By asking for a spell in a different way, the deity has to concentrate on granting the spell, and may not notice or respond at all.

So it follows then that by invoking prayers to both gods, that both gods are strengthened. Similarly by performing the appropriate casting techniques for each spell (for whichever deity), then each god would have no troubles granting the spell.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  13:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I agree that a divine spellcaster might worship two deities, I think that in "game terms" he/she should select one as his/her patron deity. However, there are exceptions to this in established Realmslore. An agreement between two deities might be possible.

Corellon and Lathander are deities of two different pantheons, and I would not let any PC paladin to receive spells from both of them. Certainly a paladin might respect and revere the other one also, but I would insist that the player choose one as the patron deity for the paladin. For example, a character who is allowed to be a paladin of both Lathander and Corellon might be able to abuse prestige classes by multiclassing into Champion of Corellon and/or Sunlord, or taking Initiate of Lathander-feat. Etcetera.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  14:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As The Sage pointed out Larajin -- from Heirs of Prophecy by Lisa Smedman worships **and recieves divine spells from** both Hanali and Sune. When she casts spells from Sune rose petals appear and when she casts spells from Hanali the scent of lilacs or somesuch fills the air. Something like that anyway. I highly recommend the novel.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  15:24:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Corellon and Lathander are deities of two different pantheons, and I would not let any PC paladin to receive spells from both of them.
Really, that wouldn't matter.

Ed told us back in May '04 that most races can freely worship outside their traditional racial pantheons provided there's a valid reason for it -- in other words... pantheons and the deities associated with them *aren't* racially specific.

And as we've seen in some of the lore in 1e/2e/3e FR... most races have groups that have, on occasion, worshipped deities outside their more traditional racial pantheons. Demihuman Deities notes several examples of humans worshipping dwarven deities and dwarves worshipping gnomish and elven deities for example. As well as for two of the characters I mentioned above.

So, the elven paladin in Brenigin's example can also worship Lathander in this case... since it agrees with what Ed has said in the past about such a concept.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 May 2006 15:27:37
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  15:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

As The Sage pointed out Larajin -- from Heirs of Prophecy by Lisa Smedman worships **and recieves divine spells from** both Hanali and Sune. When she casts spells from Sune rose petals appear and when she casts spells from Hanali the scent of lilacs or somesuch fills the air. Something like that anyway. I highly recommend the novel.

True enough... but these are two deities of the same (elven) pantheon. I think it would a bit hard to believe that a divine spellcaster would receive spells from two separate deities of different pantheons.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  17:28:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

True enough... but these are two deities of the same (elven) pantheon. I think it would a bit hard to believe that a divine spellcaster would receive spells from two separate deities of different pantheons.

No they aren't. Hanali is elven pantheon, Sune is human pantheon. :)

Plus, as was pointed out, there are other clerics that worship dieties outside of thier pantheons and receives spells from both of those deities.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  19:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

No they aren't. Hanali is elven pantheon, Sune is human pantheon. :)

Plus, as was pointed out, there are other clerics that worship dieties outside of thier pantheons and receives spells from both of those deities.

And I am a complete idiot

Of course Sune and Hanali are from different pantheons. When I read 'Sune', I thought 'Aerdrie', so that was why I wrote that. My apologies.

Still, my opinion is that I would not allow divine spellcasters to worship and receive spells from two (or more) patrons in my campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  20:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your thoughts, all. I knew of other examples, such as Larajin, the Dwarf Paladin in Champions of Valor of Gorm Gulthym(sp?) who serves Helm, etc. I wanted to make sure, however, that there was no obscure titbit or lore I'd missed saying Lathander and Correllon hated each other or some such :)
Go to Top of Page

Vainelus
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  20:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Vainelus's Homepage Send Vainelus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a paladin, it does not matter mechanically if they receive spells from two deities, since that does not change the spells available to them in the least. I would allow it in my game, it could provide interesting roleplay opportunities, just think about a disagreement between some Lathander clerics and Correllon clerics, and your paladin having to pick sides. Now the numbers could get tricky for a cleric considering the domains and initiate feats.

On a side note, I do not know if you have read the Last Mythal series, or not but your players paladin sounds ripe for working with the Crusaders.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  20:32:09  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, remember that most people in the Realms can worship one or two deities... or even an entire pantheon on a given day. And we've seen examples of divine casters who receive their spells from two different deities.

Salyndra Shaern who is a female half-elf cleric and worships both Oghma and Corellon equally.

Myrmeen Lhal, the ranger and ruler of Arabel, worships both Mielikki and Tymora.

And there is also Larajin -- from Heirs of Prophecy by Lisa Smedman. She worships both Hanali and Sune.

I'm not really sure how it would work mechanics wise (since mechanics aren't my strong point)... but there are definitely lore examples of divine casters worshipping more than one deity.

Problem is of the 3 you mentioned, two are Half-Elves that worship an Elven and a Human diety. Myrmeen Lhal is the only exception to that, and she is following a Nature Goddess, and the Goddess of Luck, only a fool would ignore Luck.

I could definately see it if the character was a Half-Elf, a possible thing to do is use one of the Variant Paladins from Unearthed Arcana or Dragon #310. Both of which have Chaotic Good Paladins.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  20:35:06  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vainelus

For a paladin, it does not matter mechanically if they receive spells from two deities, since that does not change the spells available to them in the least. I would allow it in my game, it could provide interesting roleplay opportunities, just think about a disagreement between some Lathander clerics and Correllon clerics, and your paladin having to pick sides. Now the numbers could get tricky for a cleric considering the domains and initiate feats.

On a side note, I do not know if you have read the Last Mythal series, or not but your players paladin sounds ripe for working with the Crusaders.

It does matter, because it can open up additional Prestige Classes, and there are also the Initiate Feats which open up one's spell list and gives additional abilities.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  21:32:41  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget that it also affects what domains they can chose from.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  21:33:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I am a complete idiot

Of course Sune and Hanali are from different pantheons. When I read 'Sune', I thought 'Aerdrie', so that was why I wrote that. My apologies.

Still, my opinion is that I would not allow divine spellcasters to worship and receive spells from two (or more) patrons in my campaigns.

Grin. :)

And well, your call but in canon it's allowed and so I'd allow it if it made sense to do so. :)

I really feel bad for the cleric that gets his spells from Cyric and Shar, he's gotta be insane. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  21:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
It does matter, because it can open up additional Prestige Classes, and there are also the Initiate Feats which open up one's spell list and gives additional abilities.

I'd say that the character can choose from amongst the domains of the two deities, but cannot dedicate themself enough to either deity to qualify for initiate feats or prestige classes. If they take either, they must rededicate themself to that deity through the process of deity changing detailed in the FRCS and PHBII.
Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  21:41:16  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alternatively, you could create a new "Initiate of X and Y" feat, perhaps with half the spells from each of the two regular Initiate feats. After all, there's already the "Initiate of Nature" (combining spells from Eldath, Mielikki and Silvanus) feat in PGtF.

Edited by - nb_nmare on 28 May 2006 21:41:45
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  21:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nb_nmare

Alternatively, you could create a new "Initiate of X and Y" feat, perhaps with half the spells from each of the two regular Initiate feats. After all, there's already the "Initiate of Nature" (combining spells from Eldath, Mielikki and Silvanus) feat in PGtF.

This one is a bit tricky - Initiate of Elven Dawn? Dawn and Elven Arts? Elven Warfare and Dawn? Sunny warfare? Initiate of Corellathander? Lathcorellon?

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  22:40:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

I'd say that the character can choose from amongst the domains of the two deities, but cannot dedicate themself enough to either deity to qualify for initiate feats or prestige classes. If they take either, they must rededicate themself to that deity through the process of deity changing detailed in the FRCS and PHBII.

What would your take be on the triadic knight from p124 of powers of PoF.

It seems that character in this case would receive the benefits from all three gods equally. The answer here probably lies in that they are all within the same pantheon.

Edited by - scererar on 28 May 2006 22:48:35
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  01:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really feel bad for the cleric that gets his spells from Cyric and Shar, he's gotta be insane. :)

The question is whether they were insane before they started praying to Cyric and Shar, or after.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  02:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine the character would have Correllon as their patron (goal is to take the Champion of Correllon Larethian PrC from Races of the Wild) but see Lathander as a shining example of how there is always scope to refresh and renew one's view of the world (as oppossed to the quasi-xenophobic nature of Sun Elves in particular). It's a clumsy example, but it would be a little like a Muslim working for a Christian charity - first priority to "do good", second priority to get some 2-way understanding happening. Wearing a Red Cross armband doesn't make him any less a Muslim, yet he still represents an ostensibly Christian organisation. And here should end the discussion of real world religion.

The Crusade from the Last Mythal will definitely play a part in this character's future. After all, wasn't Lathander one of the primary human gods worshipped in Myth Drannor.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  03:24:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

The question is whether they were insane before they started praying to Cyric and Shar, or after.

Even so, if he wasn't before that, he has to be now. :)

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  07:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

I imagine the character would have Correllon as their patron (goal is to take the Champion of Correllon Larethian PrC from Races of the Wild) but see Lathander as a shining example of how there is always scope to refresh and renew one's view of the world (as oppossed to the quasi-xenophobic nature of Sun Elves in particular). It's a clumsy example, but it would be a little like a Muslim working for a Christian charity - first priority to "do good", second priority to get some 2-way understanding happening. Wearing a Red Cross armband doesn't make him any less a Muslim, yet he still represents an ostensibly Christian organisation. And here should end the discussion of real world religion.

The Crusade from the Last Mythal will definitely play a part in this character's future. After all, wasn't Lathander one of the primary human gods worshipped in Myth Drannor.

IMHO I would not let a character worship two deities, if his goal is to take any prestige class levels (Champion of Corellon, Divine Champion, Dweomerkeeper, Sunlord, etcetera). Taking one of those Prestige Classes means to be a devoted follower, who worships ONLY the deity that grants the class.

It would be too easy to abuse the rules ("Hey, I want to be a Champion of Corellon and Forest Master of Silvanus... both are nature-related prestige classes, right?")

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  07:25:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still disagree.

I'd allow it if it made sense to do so since FR deities are not that petty except for a few that are, and the deities allow divine casters to worship outside of thier pantheons and have more then one deity. Also some of those deities even jointly grant spells to thier divine casters, as we said earlier. Also remember that FR isn't monothestic, it's polythestic and on any given day a divine caster can send prayers to up to ten or more deities, depending on the situation. (And yes, I probably butchered those spellings. :))

And so it's not out of the oridinary to find a divine caster of Corellon also praying to Tymora and Erevan for luck, Sehanine and Selune for moon influence, Mystra just because she's also a goddess of magic, Umberlee if you are about to sail or Valkur for the same reason, Lathander for dawn, etc.

Now mechanically, I suppose it would be different but I always run my games as the rules are guidelines and they rules don't rule me, I rule the rules. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 29 May 2006 07:58:17
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  07:44:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

I'd allow it since what Ed has previously told us about mortals being able to worship deities outside their traditional racial pantheons is pretty much what I would've done for my games if a player came to me with such an idea before I'd read what Ed said.

Larajin, as I mentioned earlier, is a perfect example of what Kuje is talking about just above -- with a divine caster being able to worship two deities... neither connected by pantheon... and receiving divine magic for her spells from either deity.

As for the rules issue... well, like I said above, I'm not sure how I'd do it myself, but I've always tended toward the same "rules as guidelines" approach as just mentioned. So, I guess I'd take it from there and go with what works for *my* FR.

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  09:26:14  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify one point, he will pay homage to Latahnder, but not worship him on the level of a patron deity. He will recieve no spells from him, not take a lebel of Morninglord etc. He is a Paladin of Corellon (some would argue this is not allowed but that's another argument :))
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  09:29:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just to clarify one point, he will pay homage to Latahnder, but not worship him on the level of a patron deity. He will recieve no spells from him, not take a lebel of Morninglord etc. He is a Paladin of Corellon (some would argue this is not allowed but that's another argument :))

Then even moreso, there is no reason to disallow this because this happens in FR on a daily basis. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  09:34:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well then, there really isn't that much of a problem since -- as several of us have already said -- most races in the Realms pay homage to more than one deity regularly. And it's backed up by Ed as well... so really, there's no potential issue with canon facts or Realmslore with this .

Edited by - The Sage on 29 May 2006 09:37:24
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  20:36:03  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Well then, there really isn't that much of a problem since -- as several of us have already said -- most races in the Realms pay homage to more than one deity regularly. And it's backed up by Ed as well... so really, there's no potential issue with canon facts or Realmslore with this .

Agreed, it would have been an entirely different issue if he actually worshipped Lathander as opposed to just lip-service.

btw What type of Elf is this Paladin going to be? Sun Elf, Moon Elf, something else?

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  21:45:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

btw What type of Elf is this Paladin going to be? Sun Elf, Moon Elf, something else?

Sun elf would be appropriate -- as I recall, they already have a tendency to like Lathander.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000