Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Do RPGs dictate novels or vice versa?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  11:12:15  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm just curious. Obould, for example, is a villain in the setting with Gerrti but also a villain in the novels. Is RA forbidden from offing Obould because of it?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  12:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it matter?

Not to me...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  13:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are certain limitations to what the writer can do in any shared world, whether the franchise involves an RPG or not. Basically, you can't make major changes to the shared universe (like croaking a character who appears in other products than your own, or ending a major ongoing conflict that drives a lot of the action across the setting) without editorial approval.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  15:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Richard said.

Any character who is statted out in a published Realms product is unlikely to get the chop, unless the powers that be want to push the setting in that direction. Severely injured, sure, killed and resurrected, yeah, but not permanently altered. Otherwise, it would invalidate a lot of the company's other published stuff. Plus, you're risking treading on the other authors' toes, and we're a chummy bunch.

Also a big no-no, as a corollary, is use of any other author's characters without consultation, and definitely use of signature characters, many of whom are already written up (Arilyn, Drizzt, Elminster, Danilo Thann, Erevis Cale, etc., etc.). For instance, you won't see a novel where Drizzt and Elminster fight it out. . . unless, of course, Bob and Ed are writing it together.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  15:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Richard says is correct, in a shared world it is always the "man's" decision, but as to whether RPGs influence novels or the other way around in terms of do RPG supplements influence which characters are inserted into a novel. Well, if I were to develop a plot in a through supplements/campaign setting already explored area I would first look at those books to see if anyone there fits the bill and then cross-check with editorial whether I can use the character as an antagonist. Not that I am lazy (which I am to a degree) but why reinvent the wheel when I could put more of my energies into the plot?

Take the non-Realms example of Star Wars back in the day when WEG produced the game. Timothy Zahn didn't bother to develop new technical gadgets and ships where they weren't needed. He had the material WEG had put out over the years at hand and could put more energy into more "important" things.

I can see R.A. Salvatore do the same when looking for a villain to rage through the Silver Marches. The FRCS gave him Obould and Gertti (sp?), thus he could put more thought into the why and where instead of the who...

To me it is as simple as that.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  18:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's important to keep in mind that there are untold MILLIONS of unnamed, unstatted people in the Realms, and countless possible characters. Authors have total freedom to make up their own characters.

Though of course, if I wanted to make Lizzit the female (see? different!) drow ranger with two scimitars and a bonded tiger (see! not a panther!), who cuts up a fury in XXXXXX, there might be considerations there. But no more than any other appropriation of someone else's idea, which happens in shared worlds or not.

Taking characters from established Realmslore is both easier and harder. On the one hand, the character's pretty much developed and you've got a ready-made. On the other, you have to make the character act appropriate to the creator's vision and don't have as much freedom determining his/her actions. A mix, I find, works well, and pre-established characters usually have minor roles, unless the novel is "about" them.

For instance, in Ghostwalker, the main people (Walker, Arya, Meris, Lord Greyt) and the major supporting characters (Lyetha, Talthaliel, Bars, and Derst) are all from my own head. Geth Stonar, Unddreth, Amra Clearwater are all in the Silver Marches book, and are only there in minor supporting roles. And the bigger the role, the more research you have to do.

I've thought up a couple plots (who knows? might use them) where pre-established characters play a major role. In order to write them, I'd have to be really careful in my treatment of each character that I didn't create. In a way, that's harder -- it's like writing fan fiction, only really, REALLY well developed, researched, and thought-out fan fiction, or it will just fail.

Generally, I have the sense that we authors don't write established characters as our main characters, unless we wrote them first. RAS created Drizzt, Ed created Elminster, Khelben, the Seven, etc., Elaine created Arilyn and Danilo. In those cases, the game appropriates the author's characters, not the other way around.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  19:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting subject. But... Isnt it, as an author, to some degree iritating to be limited in some aspects of the way you write your books? Or does the positive things outweigh the negative? (of course they do, otherwise you probably wouldent be writing in this setting)... But i hope you can understand my thoughts.

Another thing... Can you throw some of the positive things about writing in a fixed setting at me? Always good to have some positive to level out the negative.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  19:36:54  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be nice to see more characters from previous novels used in new stories. Too often interesting main characters are never seen again.
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  19:49:01  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with RodOdom as far as characters not being heard from. Upon finishing Bladesinger, I wonder if i will get to read more of Taen's adventures across Faerun. Or a big one for me is Eric's two main elves from his short story in RotE. I mean the story was fantastic as is, but it left me drooling for more andI see a world of potential for more stories involving these to elves. I'm sure in some cases the author has said what he/she has wanted to say using certain characters, but I am sure more often than not, the publishers are putting limitations on the authors as far as who and what they are going to be allowed to write about, especially with wizards and FR.

Edited by - dannyfu on 17 May 2006 19:52:02
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  19:55:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As has been noted, Rod, if Author A created the character, Authors B. C, and D probably won't be using him. So you need Author A to continue working in the setting to have a chance of seeing more of the character in question.
To my mind, sourcebook characters are different from novel characters. They're available. But in general, I'd prefer to work with my own characters, partly because I don't have to worry about being inconsistent with other sources, and partly because I can do whatever I want to them. But when you do a story where the king, the high priest, or whoever would logically make an appearance, then you've got to use him.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  20:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

It would be nice to see more characters from previous novels used in new stories. Too often interesting main characters are never seen again.

Well met

Indeed. In fact, Dragonlance ::ducks from scribe's thrown missiles:: often uses characters from a trilogy in other books. Perhaps this was the intention of the Dragonlance "saga" however, and on the downside, it does make the reading order tighter and harder to keep track of.

I'd certainly welcome the use of characters in subsequent novels in the FR novel line

What I have been happy to see lately, are little uses of certain elements amongst novels. For example, Richard featured the Rage in Queen of the Depths as well, and also I believe the Shade situation was also mentioned in another novel (sorry, I don't recall which).

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Inquisitor
Acolyte

Germany
42 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  20:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Inquisitor's Homepage Send Inquisitor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

As has been noted, Rod, if Author A created the character, Authors B. C, and D probably won't be using him. So you need Author A to continue working in the setting to have a chance of seeing more of the character in question.
To my mind, sourcebook characters are different from novel characters. They're available. But in general, I'd prefer to work with my own characters, partly because I don't have to worry about being inconsistent with other sources, and partly because I can do whatever I want to them. But when you do a story where the king, the high priest, or whoever would logically make an appearance, then you've got to use him.

That is a interesting piece of information when you consider how many prominent figuers appeared (or rather were killed) in your latest triology.
I'm not faulting you, but why have you killed those realm iconic characters (although they were rather minor iconics in the lore) when you actually don't like to use official characters and how they restrict your story. I assume that when you decided to use these characters you didn't already know what you were allowed to do with them but you had to ask first for permission to kill them?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  21:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyfu

Or a big one for me is Eric's two main elves from his short story in RotE. I mean the story was fantastic as is, but it left me drooling for more andI see a world of potential for more stories involving these to elves.

I'm glad you liked them, and I can also see said world. We'll see what Wizards sees.

quote:
I'm sure in some cases the author has said what he/she has wanted to say using certain characters, but I am sure more often than not, the publishers are putting limitations on the authors as far as who and what they are going to be allowed to write about, especially with wizards and FR.

One of the things about writing for hire, and for Wizards in particular: WotC technically owns all its characters. If they want to see more about a character, then great. If they don't, that's as far as it goes.

If they want, say, Arya back, then Arya can come back (assuming I've got stuff to say about her, which I do). They don't, well, there are other characters.

quote:
Can you throw some of the positive things about writing in a fixed setting at me? Always good to have some positive to level out the negative.

I personally like the chance to contribute to the expansion of a setting I enjoy reading and gaming. I really like some of the characters who are there, and I get the chance to use them, or the settings I enjoy.

Also, I get to feel really clever inserting in plots and twisting things to match timelines and the like.

Also, there's a huge, vast source of material out there to pick over and research, providing a wealth of ideas and -- I suppose this is less than vigorous -- providing ready made maps and settings, so it makes it easier to focus on those things you feel are more important. (Not to denigrate setting, certainly not this one! I mean in terms of focusing your creative energies and not having to spend so much time building a setting. Rather, you can just find one that suits your purposes.)

Plus, last but certainly not least, you join this community of other writers -- many of whom you've long read and long enjoyed -- who are more than willing to offer ideas and fill you in on bits of the shared world they specialize in. I don't know how many times I've got advice from Eric Boyd, Steven Schend, Ed Greenwood, Paul Kemp, and so on, and so forth.

Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Depends.

Do they for me?

Well, I write in the Realms, don't I?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  21:16:02  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

So you need Author A to continue working in the setting to have a chance of seeing more of the character in question.

I can see how old minor characters can be burdensome to writers as well as non-hardcore readers. Writers would have to do research as to not trip over the continuity of a lesser-known character and new readers may not be getting much from the re-introduction of said character. It doesn't really add to a story.

On the other hand, the main characters of different FR books can get a little redundant. Sometimes I get the feeling I've seen a new star a few books back, but with a different name. But that's just me, I suppose.

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Byers, and I've been enjoying your novels greatly.
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  22:09:44  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
first off: my thanks to Eric and Rich for clearing things up from RodOdom and my comments.

secondly: to pose an idea based on the title of this thread- the Last Mythal tril is wrapping up next month with obvious changes in the the elven community happening which in turn affects Faerun as a whole. If the "returning" succeeds and the elves return to Cormanthyr to "set up shop" at the end of the novel, it would be awesome (and appropriate) if wizards made a new FR suppliment book that updates gamers to these new "realms changing" events.

When gamers use specific pre made worlds like the Realms for their campaign and are focusing on a specific area to run a game, it only seems to make sense that players have at least one source that is up to date with events that take place in the novels. Sure you can start a campaign that is loosely based in a world or have it take place in various years. But if a DM wants to do a FR campaign set in the "current year" I think gaming material should coencide with the novels. (plus it would be soooo sweet to have a new elf specific FR suppliment book)
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  22:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm a very interesting topic this is turning out to be.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  01:11:03  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

As Erik said, that's up to Wizards. On the whole they seem to have favoured new characters, but if there is a demand for it, they can be brought back. Witness the belated return of Arilyn and Danilo in Elaine's forthcoming story, which I'm very excited about. See also Ed's Knights trilogy, though the characters themselves are old, they've not had as much print time as they should have done. That said, I'm sure many, including Ed, would agree that there are many characters who deserve to have had more print time (Mirt and Durnan spring to mind), or even some print time.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  01:24:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Indeed. In fact, Dragonlance ::ducks from scribe's thrown missiles:: often uses characters from a trilogy in other books. Perhaps this was the intention of the Dragonlance "saga" however, and on the downside, it does make the reading order tighter and harder to keep track of.
And while it is something I enjoy with the DL novel line myself... it should also be noted that there are those who do not like such a trend.

There's a want, in DL fiction, for fresh, new and interesting characters that begin with mysterious backgrounds and where their own motives and choices are still largely unknown.

So while having characters from certain stories face new and varied situations in subsequent tales may be an intriguing development... it does have the tendancy to reduce fan interest because of the fact that so few new characters are being introduced in favor of, perhaps, overdeveloping existing characters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  03:46:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This kind of reminds me of another type of shared world. A few years back I remember reading about how Denny O'Neil at DC Comics ran the Batman comics. Basically, once a year, all the writers and editors would get together at a "summit" and map out what storylines they wanted to do, and if there was going to be a major crossover event.

If something major was going to happen to, say, Joker, Denny would have to approve it. If someone wanted to use someone that was under another editor's umbrella, say, Lex Luthor, they would have to go to the managing editor of the Superman group and make sure this wasn't going to mess anything up, and generally unless it was some kind of company wide directive, Lex wasn't going to bite the dust in Gotham City, for example.

I really have to hand it to anyone that writes in any kind of shared world, because I think it takes a kind of dedication and mental dicipline that some authors never really have to develop.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  04:26:21  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rod: Thanks for the kind words.
Inquisitor: I used (and in some cases, whacked) established characters in Year of Rogue Dragons because I thought the story would be the better for it. As I said previously, you give the story what you think it needs.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  06:06:56  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been involved in writing any realms fiction yet, but I wouldn't mind if one of the novel authors used one of the new NPCs I mentioned in Dragons of Faerun. When detailing certain aspects and areas of the realms, you need to indicate who has leadership, thus when novelists write in those areas - as Richard mentioned - they are quite likely to use existing high priests, kings, or other leaders as minor characters in the novels.

Not only would I not mind if they did this, I'd welcome it. If something I wrote in a supplement inspired an aspect of a story or enhanced it in some way, that would be great. I am nowhere near as emotionally invested in an NPC I spent a few hours (or even a few days) considering than a novelist is with a brand new protagonist. I hope that the RPG supplements provide interesting information to work with for novelists. Obviously, they are going to want to create their own heroes, but if anything helps, that's fantastic.

I know that Bruce Cordell found Unapproachable East to be very handy when he wrote Lady of Poison. I believe he even thanked the designers - Richard Baker, Matt Forbeck, & Sean K. Reynolds - in his dedication. I'm sure there are times when a writer really develops the majority of known information about a region (Douglas Niles, for example, in the Moonshae sets), but other times, I'd imagine that the settings of the books borrow a lot of information from existing RPG supplements.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 18 May 2006 06:07:42
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  05:00:16  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is a kind of chase your tail type thread. Do characters within the novels reflect what is written in the sourcebooks, or do the characters written in sourcebooks, reflect what happens within the novels. I think both actually
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  15:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Do characters within the novels reflect what is written in the sourcebooks, or do the characters written in sourcebooks, reflect what happens within the novels. I think both actually

That's the aim, anyway.

Which comes first, the novel or the game, like the chicken or the egg?

I like to think the fiction's more important, and thus takes precedence, but. . . not necessarily. It's all up to Wizards.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  15:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

That's the aim, anyway.

I like to think the fiction's more important, and thus takes precedence, but. . . not necessarily. It's all up to Wizards.

Cheers

I'd agree.

As I have never written any RPG sourcebooks, I cannot judge the artistic value... but the Realms do not really come alive when I read sourcebooks. They give me a general idea, but it is the novels that breathe life into the dots on the map.

I would like to see more novel related sourcebooks/-material, not just a sidebar here or there, but something similar to the old WEG Star Wars supplements for the various novels WITHOUT the continuous repetitions. This would manage to actually improve on the novel experience...

But that's just me...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  17:22:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

but the Realms do not really come alive when I read sourcebooks. They give me a general idea, but it is the novels that breathe life into the dots on the map.

I'll agree, but with a couple exceptions: the various Volo's Guides, especially the Waterdeep one, did make parts of the Realms come alive for me. As for other sourcebooks, sometimes the NPCs make it come more alive for me, and the adventure hooks often add life to the sourcebooks.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  17:24:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Do characters within the novels reflect what is written in the sourcebooks, or do the characters written in sourcebooks, reflect what happens within the novels. I think both actually

That's the aim, anyway.

Cheers

My spin on it is that the sourcebooks provide the details and the background, while the novels build on and add to it. It's like a house: the sourcebooks are the foundation and framework, the novels add the walls, the paint, the furniture, and all the other stuff that makes the raw material into a home.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  17:26:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

but the Realms do not really come alive when I read sourcebooks. They give me a general idea, but it is the novels that breathe life into the dots on the map.

I'll agree, but with a couple exceptions: the various Volo's Guides, especially the Waterdeep one, did make parts of the Realms come alive for me. As for other sourcebooks, sometimes the NPCs make it come more alive for me, and the adventure hooks often add life to the sourcebooks.

I'll agree with that also... though I will note that what Wooly just described has really only been something I've picked up from 1e/2e FR sourcebooks.

You're almost aways assured a grand Realmslore feast when you pick-up a 1e/2e FR tome. The only times I felt the same with 3e resources was by reading SK and LEoF.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 May 2006 17:27:39
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  17:31:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to throw in my support to what Wooly said . . . between Waterdeep and the North and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, I really grew to love the City of Splendors, and as a result, Elaine's books immediately found a place in my heart because her portrayal of Waterdeep matched the feel of the city that I had gotten from those sourcebooks.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  19:00:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It also seems, to me at least, that the sourcebooks provide that framework Wolly mentioned -- a bird's eye view -- while the novels provide a perspective -- a man's eye view, if you will.

The sourcebooks let you build it: they tell you who's there, where, what, and why. The novels let you live it: they show you what the Realms are really like, through more than information.

I personally think, to derive a full understanding (if such a thing is possible outside the divinity that is the epic Ed of the Greenwood's mind) of the Realms, one needs both sourcebooks and novels. Neither determines or restricts, fundamentally, the other, but both are indispensible, in their own way, and inextricably linked.

I think what this boils down to is that the Realms *succeeds* as a campaign world. It, to use a philosopher's coinage, *obtains* -- it's *valid* as a shared world. Sure it has its flaws and inconsistencies (fewer than our own world, really), but it's still first and foremost of its kind, as shared world for writers, gamers, and readers.

Cheers

P.S. Much better than Star Wars.

Couldn't resist.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  20:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Erik, I'm going to mildly, gently, respectfully kinda sorta disagree with you. I think that for the novels to be worthy, well-constructed pieces of fiction, they need to stand up on their own and be comprehensible and enjoyable to readers who've never so much as glanced at the sourcebooks.
I don't know if I always succeed, but I try hard to present every story in such a way that it will work for readers who've never visited the Realms before. I may be dead wrong, but I suspect that most FR writers do the same. Otherwise, we're artificially limiting our audience and diminishing the potential of the franchise.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  22:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no -- I see how that reads now. Oop.

We don't disagree, RLB. I think we're on the same tightrope, actually.

I wasn't meaning to imply that the novels in some sense need or build off the sourcebooks, or vice versa. The best Realms novels are quite self-contained -- they just form these kind of symbiotic connections, and mean something different (key: not "superior") to readers familiar with the setting than to those who aren't.

I absolutely write in a style meant to work for people who've never picked up a Realms novel before (or, in some cases, fantasy at all). But my style is ALSO meant to work for fans of the setting.

I agree with you assessment: I think that most of the FR writers (if not all) write so as well.

My answer was meant as an expansion of the general topic: that is, do the sourcebooks determine the novels or vice versa. My answer: Nope. Does each inform the other? Sure.

I mean to EXPAND our audience, not limit it, in any way, to either 1) sourcebook readers or 2) everyone else.

Though I can see how my post could imply otherwise. I'll leave it as is for reference.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000