Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Naturalists of Myth Drannor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  22:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, does anybody have more information on this organization? I ran a search and it seemed as if there is even more to this guild than Myth Drannor. I mean, did the Naturalist guild survive the fall of Myth Drannor? If so, where did it expand to? Does Halaster still have a grudge on the Naturalist guild? Are there any prominent NPC's from this guild? Where is the present day HQ? Is there any sourcebook that holds a complete history of the Guild? Please reply if you know something. This guild could be really cool to throw into the mix for my next gaming session.

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  22:22:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just the info that is in Cormanthyr and the Fall of Myth Drannor box set.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  01:06:22  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hall of the Beast Tamers adventure in the original 1st Ed. FR Campaign boxed set may have some more information.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  01:44:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a note... you're referring to the Guild in Myth Drannor and not the Guild of Naturalists in Cormyr. I don't think it has ever been exclusively stated that the Guild of Naturalists in Cormyr and the identically named guild in Myth Drannor ("the Beast Tamers") are related to each other.

Though I've theorised a "possible" connection before -- According to Fall of Myth Drannor, the Guild's last mention of activity is around 680 DR. Perhaps some of the Guild Naturalists made a place for themselves in the growing Forest Kingdom after the fall of Myth Drannor. Arabel was already a city by this time...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  03:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage I think you are on to something. I think it very realistic that traveling members of 'The Beast Tamers' (Myth Drannor Naturalists Guild) would go ahead and continue their work but establish guild locations all over the North/Silver Marches/Sword Coast/Moonsea areas. I mean why not? They would want to continue their work. I really think some cool lore could be written up to loosely tie the contemporary Naturalists to the Myth Drannor Naturalists. Maybe by a few families that held guild membership. Maybe some of the members from Myth Drannor removed some of the guilds treasures before the fall? They could just go to Arabel and the rest would be history. What say you all? Do you think people would be interested in knowing more about the Naturalists?

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  04:00:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Sage I think you are on to something. I think it very realistic that traveling members of 'The Beast Tamers' (Myth Drannor Naturalists Guild) would go ahead and continue their work but establish guild locations all over the North/Silver Marches/Sword Coast/Moonsea areas. I mean why not? They would want to continue their work. I really think some cool lore could be written up to loosely tie the contemporary Naturalists to the Myth Drannor Naturalists. Maybe by a few families that held guild membership. Maybe some of the members from Myth Drannor removed some of the guilds treasures before the fall? They could just go to Arabel and the rest would be history. What say you all? Do you think people would be interested in knowing more about the Naturalists?

I've used Naturalists before in my Compendium articles but I didn't specify which Naturalist they are. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  15:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My excited frustration leaves me pondering the possibilities. Must I ask the Grand Sage of Faerun, Ed Greenwood? Or do you think he was involved in the creation of the Myth Drannor Natrualists? Is he even taking questions anymore?

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  15:53:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course you can ask Ed. And as I recall, he's already mentioned having his hand in the development of the Naturalists -- 1e FRCS.

And yes, he's still taking questions. He's just been e-silent recently because he had his family visiting him. He's back answering replies now though -- today in fact!

Edited by - The Sage on 09 May 2006 15:55:28
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  01:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where actually do I go to ask the question? Is he just in the Authors section of the forum? Thanks for all the help too. You all have been incredibly helpful.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  01:36:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Where actually do I go to ask the question? Is he just in the Authors section of the forum? Thanks for all the help too. You all have been incredibly helpful.

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=30

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  14:48:19  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kuje. It still amazes me how well you and Sage spread lore to all the eager learners of Faerun Lore. Thank you.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  17:30:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Kuje. It still amazes me how well you and Sage spread lore to all the eager learners of Faerun Lore. Thank you.

No problem and I try. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  00:55:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is he just in the Authors section of the forum?
Ed is (through the Lady Hooded One) usually just around in the Chamber of Sages, yes. Though the Lady Herald does like to wander the other halls from time to time to dispense the lore of Ed when required.

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  13:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it is done. I have posted the question. Now we wait.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  15:39:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's more than possible that the guild may've spread itself out and founded franchises and similar-thinking individuals in the sister cities of Myth Drannor. In fact, it's easily surmised that there could be a branch in Silverymoon easily.

Tis one of the reasons I added notes in the FALL OF MYTH DRANNOR about the exodus of the learned and the magical....they took their ideas and wanted to make other places as cool as MD. Biggest problem with the guild in Myth Drannor (which seemed to fit the adventure from the 1E grey box (or, if you're a dinosaur like me who remembers when it was in DRAGON magazine) was that they poached monsters from Halaster so he stole wizards and dropped them in Undermountain or left monsters in Cormanthor.

Come to think of it, you could have a really odd variant of them down in Undermountain after all these years too.....

Steven
Just tossin' out ideas....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  19:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for that take on the Naturalists Steven. You are quickly becoming an invaluable resource in my understanding of the Realms. Keep spreading the lore.

Now with all that being said I would take it that there is a good bit of freedom for any one to take while using the Naturalists in FR. What a fascinating little organization!!!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000