Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Who left the portal open?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  13:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings

Assume for a moment that a portal to the abyss or some other lovely spot has been opened by a high level mage and that for what ever reason its been left that way. Along comes generic hero wizard of way to many fireballs TM.Our hero has acquired no feats regarding said portals and has no spells related to portals of any kind.How could said generic hero wizard close said portal? Does some arcane procedure exist for this? If not has there been written in any canon source, a spell to close a portal to another location or plane that has been left open, if so do tell its source as I cant seem to find it in magic of Farune. I am assuming it’s a spell that has not been updated from 2e to 3x,perhaps some arcane ritual involving the sacrifice of a sun Elf?

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  13:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Physically blocking it up might work.
Placing something like a permanent prismatic spehere around it could also work.
Arcane Lock will lock a portal but is pretty weak

I imagine a Miracle/Wish spell could do it
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  14:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I’m sure there are spells that would allow the dispelling of a portal. Disjunction would probably work, and I am sure that there are specific portal related spells out there, although I don’t know the source.
Since the wizard in your group is mostly just tossing fireballs, a scroll would work fine. Generic Hero Wizard could make a more lasting name for him/her self by standing guard over the portal while others went and gathered up the scroll. This is, after all, what hero’s do.

Aside from that, a ritual type spell could be used also. I’m not so sure why the sacrifice of a sun elf would be nessisary, but you could certainly try that if you wanted. I was thinking more along the lines of a group of mages around a carefully drawn circle tossing expensive components into a pool of holy water or something.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis

Edited by - Jindael on 02 May 2006 14:39:23
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  17:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See page 60 of the FRCS for the details, which are still applicable as far as I know.
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  05:43:53  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The easy way to block a portal is to cast something like wall of stone right in front of it.(You've seen StarGate, right).

Mordenkainen's Disjunction can destroy a portal and the Realms are full of gate portal spells...gate seal, portal barricade, portal redirect and portal reformat,

BT
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  17:20:51  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could try a very different approach:

Assume, that a man-made permanent portal needs an anchor at the destination to stay open.
This anchor could be an altar or another vile thing from the Abyss, which is somehow related to Faerun, but placed in the Abyss. (Since the portal was made in Faerun. Imagine it like some sort of conduit with an beginning [-Faerun] and an destination [-Abyss])

A good possibility to destroy the portal is to destroy the anchor and then try to (literally) get the hell back to Faerun. Once the anchor would be destroyed, the conduit would find no destination and would collapse.

This idea would give the whole adventure another interesting touch, as the party would suddenly find themselves in the Abyss.
I would strongly recommend some place of the triple realm, as this is greatly described in the module "For Duty and Deity", which you can download at wizards.com

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  18:18:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iliphar1

I would strongly recommend some place of the triple realm, as this is greatly described in the module "For Duty and Deity", which you can download at wizards.com

Specifically, from the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  20:50:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, my answer to this would be of a simpler set. Casting dispel magic (or greater dispel magic, disjunction, etc...) should make the portal close, albeit temporarily. Since the "natural" state of a portal is closed... then something would need to happen to make it re-open. Thus, unless something were on the other side to make it reopen, it should remain closed. Kinda like cutting the power off to your PC while your in your online game (the system comes up, it can even work, but ya gotta reinitiate the program).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  21:35:53  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or if your wizard is powerful enough (and amusing enough), he/she could create another portal directly in front of this one, forcing whoever came through it directly through the next portal (which could even send the user to a few feet next to the other one in the Abyss)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000