Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 We're going another round...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  00:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Click.

So, for lack of anything better to do apparently, we're going for Complete Series II! Go Wizards! Oh, I can't wait! *quietly starts weeping*

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  01:03:48  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i cant possibly imagine what that would be about... we have book of vile deeds for evil characters... complete adventurer for rogues as well as the 3.0 song and shadow (is that whats its called i forget adn am to lazy to check)

this book gets #1 most pointless supplement award

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  01:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's quite obviously a complementary product to Complete Adventurer, just as Complete Mage is a complementary product to Complete Arcane.
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  01:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a bit inane. Although some have voicd complaints at how Complete Adventurer was more for just any class with some skill points to spare and less so for roguish type characters specifically, which is what many had hoped it would be. To a lesser extent, Complete Arcane was not as exclusive for pure spellcasting as many would have liked, thus WotC perceives a demand for Complete Mage as well I'll bet.

Edited by - Archwizard on 25 Apr 2006 01:14:50
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  01:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

It is a bit inane. Although some have voicd complaints at how Complete Adventurer was more for just any class with some skill points to spare and less so for roguish type characters specifically, which is what many had hoped it would be. To a lesser extent, Complete Arcane was not as exclusive for pure spellcasting as many would have liked, thus WotC perceives a demand for Complete Mage as wlel I'll bet.

The only problem I have with those complaints is that going into the first 4 books in the series, we were told they'd be about giving all characters options in those areas, not just the classes specializing in that area.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  01:22:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... the author names don't immediately trigger any memories of recent work from them for me. What do we know about them?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  01:31:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"All results for: author words: Mcartor, Mike"

" Spell Compendium
by Matthew Sernett (Author), et al (Hardcover - December 1, 2005) "

" Dragon Compendium Volume 1
by Mike McArtor (Author) " (no date provided)

"All results for: author words: Schneider, Wesley"

" Complete Scoundrel
by Mike Mcartor (Author), Wesley Schneider (Author) (Hardcover - January 9, 2007) "

Off hand I do not believe we and amazon know much about either of these two.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  01:41:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He works for Paizo . . . it seems like WOTC is tapping a lot of Paizo talent lately.

Why do I suddenly picture Han and Lando when I see this book?

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 25 Apr 2006 01:42:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  01:57:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Why do I suddenly picture Han and Lando when I see this book?

Yeah... and the adventure in the back of Complete Scoundrel will be about the Yavin Vassilika .

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  02:01:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know . . . I was having fun until I just realized this may be the closest we get to any Star Wars RPG material again . . . ::sigh::

(But my Faleen Scoundrel/Infiltrator will still have his revenge upon his brother that discover that "accounting error" if its the last thing I do!)

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 25 Apr 2006 02:03:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  02:03:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That'll make all the d20 SWRPG fans who think the d20 rules are just a clone of the D&D rules so happy!

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  02:07:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I must say that it's flattering they're devoting a whole book to me. But I really wish they could have asked for permission first...

And on a serious note - I'd rather have seen a (good) book dealing with the goblinoid or giant races instead of another Complete Yada-yada-yada.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  02:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

It is a bit inane. Although some have voicd complaints at how Complete Adventurer was more for just any class with some skill points to spare and less so for roguish type characters specifically, which is what many had hoped it would be. To a lesser extent, Complete Arcane was not as exclusive for pure spellcasting as many would have liked, thus WotC perceives a demand for Complete Mage as wlel I'll bet.

The only problem I have with those complaints is that going into the first 4 books in the series, we were told they'd be about giving all characters options in those areas, not just the classes specializing in that area.

Doesn't stop people from complaining about what they wanted but didn't get.

I find that some players are very fanatical about topics of interest to them, be it arcane magic, the roguish arts, or elves.

At first glance I thought it was a SW book also.

Edited by - Archwizard on 25 Apr 2006 02:20:06
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  02:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Doesn't stop people from complaining about what they wanted but didn't get.

I find that some players are very fanatical about topics of interest to them, be it arcane magic, the roguish arts, or elves.

At first glance I thought it was a SW book also.

Heh, don't I know...I had a rather bad run-in on WotC a few weeks ago on the Future Releases board...that one ended on Saturday, I think.

Anyway:

Can anyone think of any actual rules bits they wouldn't mind seeing covered in this supplement? A 3.5 treatment of the garrote rules would be nice, from a rules-cases standpoint.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  02:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Click.

So, for lack of anything better to do apparently, we're going for Complete Series II! Go Wizards! Oh, I can't wait! *quietly starts weeping*

I got wise to this long ago and I struck a deal with my players everyone buys one "Complete" book

I bought Complete Fighter and 3 of my players bought the other 3 books

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  08:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Hmmm, I actually winced when I saw this. One of the last things I wanted to see was this "Complete" series getting out of hand. I was quite happy at the initial four books in the series but then wondered where this was actually going when Complete Mage was announced and made me ponder the content in comparison to Complete Arcane. Alas, this tome is likely to be the third D&D tome I will leave on the shelf. If this trend continues, I can see my D&D core purchases being quite low through 2007

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  08:53:14  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh, don't I know...I had a rather bad run-in on WotC a few weeks ago on the Future Releases board...that one ended on Saturday, I think.

Eh, don't let it get to you. there are some people with overly strong opinions on message boards sometimes.

quote:
Anyway:

Can anyone think of any actual rules bits they wouldn't mind seeing covered in this supplement? A 3.5 treatment of the garrote rules would be nice, from a rules-cases standpoint.

Nothing major really. Though I dispise the way the Ninja and related classes were presented, like PrCs such as the Ghost-faced killer, which were edited to follow similar guidelines. I found them bland. I think the AEG or even the OA take on ninja is a more balanced version of the warrior based and mystical based ninja stereotype.

Maybe more materials for assassin types, and not just the Assassin PrC, but options for non-evil assassins.

What about various takes on the Merchant Prince, or different things about the shady fence, street thug, the roguish swashbuckler type, etc. Possibly some epic material.

Certainly more gear and equipment, I remember the Complete Thieves' Handbook in 2e had lots of interesting items for thieving and anti-thieving.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  11:25:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Hmmm, I actually winced when I saw this. One of the last things I wanted to see was this "Complete" series getting out of hand. I was quite happy at the initial four books in the series but then wondered where this was actually going when Complete Mage was announced and made me ponder the content in comparison to Complete Arcane. Alas, this tome is likely to be the third D&D tome I will leave on the shelf. If this trend continues, I can see my D&D core purchases being quite low through 2007

Ditto. It's getting like the Complete X Handbooks of 2E. Though I could see them for the races and the initial classes (Warrior, Thief, Cleric, etc), after a while it started getting ridiculous. Complete Scoundrel? I'll not even flip thru it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  12:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of all of the bonus classes included in the Complete books Id probably only allow the War Mage (Suitable for an arcane branch of the Church of Tempus)and maybe the Knight class (Especially if its "Cavalieresque")

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  12:12:15  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess this was pretty inevitable. It has been stated in the past that books aimed at players (rather than just the DM) sell much better. These "Complete" books fit pretty much with that philosophy.

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  13:50:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ditto. It's getting like the Complete X Handbooks of 2E. Though I could see them for the races and the initial classes (Warrior, Thief, Cleric, etc), after a while it started getting ridiculous. Complete Scoundrel? I'll not even flip thru it.
I'll certainly take a look -- but only because I'm curious, at this point, about it's possible content.

Once we learn more, that position will likely change since I have the feeling this tome will be just an excuse for publishing more roguish-based PrCs and plenty of *new* feats .

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  14:24:39  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book targets my interests directly; much more than Complete Mage, so it will almost certainly end up on my shelf. And, to be honest, I don't find this "trend" to be at all surprising. What surprised me, actually, is that the first set of Complete Books were so broad; I was really expecting a much more defined focus per character class.

I wonder if the complete series is going to get as particular as to start doing a Complete Elves, and Complete Dwarves?

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  15:52:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually wish they would do more "Races of" books, since in 3.5 its much more possible to play other races, and for DMs to use races with classes as well. Then again, the best thing about "Races of the Dragon" was the kobold treatment.

So what are the next "Complete II" books going to be . . . "Complete Proseletyzer"? "Complete Lug"?
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  15:57:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, for coming up with this after I just posted, but in retrospect I was thinking . . . what could WOTC put out that would be a better alternative to the "complete II" series?

So far they started the terrain series. I don't know how they sold, but I would rather see a Terrain book on forests, swamps, mountains, anything that they could do well, come up with some logical magic items and monsters for, etc.

There is still a lot they could do with the "Draconomicon" type books as well. A book on giants or one about humanoids, focusing on them as opponents, and showing what kind of beasts they might take as pets or guards would be interesting, as well as reintroducing, officially, some of those gods that have been missing since 2nd edition . . . Skiggaret anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  17:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, a races book, a terrain book, or a book on specific monsters (Draconomicon type) would be more interesting. It could even be something like Lords of Madness II to cover the other types of aberrations that didn't make it into the first one. They can even use the name Codex Anathema this time. It is certainly about time for a book on giants or fey or classical monstrous humanoids like centaurs and minotaurs.

I think the complete series books might have been better organized if they were like the Complete Handbooks of 2e, at least since this is what they are heading towards anyway but in a less straightforward manner. Complete Warrior for fighters, Complete Crusader - Paladins, Complete Priest - Cleric, Complete Mage - Wizards, etc.

Hopefully this series doesn't sell so well that we'll get Complete Round III, Complete Scallywag anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Vainelus
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  22:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Vainelus's Homepage Send Vainelus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My play group stopped purchasing complete series books shortly after 3.0 sword and fist style books. The Races of Series, I have liked for it's mechanics, but I could go for less new races being introduced. The monster series has been okay, although I was surprised how Liches and Vampires got glazed over in favor of Zombies, Skeletons, and ghouls in the undead book. I would rather see more Races of or monster books, but to be honest I would really prefer more campaign setting specific books even if they had to class themed something like Warriors of Faerun, Divine casters of Greyhawk or even Robot Ninjas of Eberron. At least then, the material would have some useful information outside of game mechanics and give some indication why the prestige class exists. Rather than....Daggerspell mage...hmm I wonder what this does....oh it attacks with daggers and cast spells who would have ever guessed from the title.

PS- I am sorry if Robot Ninjas is offensive to Eberron fans, but I just could not resist that title rolls of so naturally. I mean it sounds far more catchy than Warriors of Faerun or Divine casters of Greyhawk.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  22:56:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is certainly about time for a book on giants or fey or classical monstrous humanoids like centaurs and minotaurs.

Or even... Complete Giant Space Hamster!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  23:07:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only if they update autognomes in there as well . . .
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  23:17:38  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete this...complete that.... my AD&D campaigns ran fine without 'em...I guess when the change to 3.5 will come I can make do with basically 'only' the FR material and be quite content for a long time.

We seem to be getting to the same point of supplement 'inflation' we had back in the TSR days... but at least back then I didn't have to pay ungodly amounts of cash to purchase just 3 books or whatnot. Sure, there is eye-candy, but do I need all of that candy? And for that matter can you get rotten eyes by consuming too much eye-candy?

If they were to release them at a reasonable price, I might consider buying some, but what would my players, most of whom aren't that firm in English, do? Hell the German PHB 3.5 costs about 40% more than the English version... I dread to know what the translations of these books cost.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  23:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It is certainly about time for a book on giants or fey or classical monstrous humanoids like centaurs and minotaurs.

Or even... Complete Giant Space Hamster!

Now that would be interesting I'd certainly pick that one up without a second thought!

Say Wooly, mayhaps ye should take it upon thyself to put such a tome together. Nobody knows Giant Space Hamsters as much as thee

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  23:33:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . a racial class progression . . . paragon giant space hampster classes . . . giant space hampster PrCs . . . wait . . . half- giant space hampsters, maybe?!?

It boggles the mind.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000